R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4606
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Joe Kimble

Hi all!

So I have been in RC for many years but only started racing this summer, in Nitro touring. I moved here from France and found the RC racing atmosphere very enjoyable so gave it a try. Loved it.
I was lucky enough to find a NIB 411 LE to go race in New Rochelle with the guys I met this summer during the nitro/summer time. I was very impressed on how easy the car was to build. A really smooth and easy build.

Anyway, I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with the car when I start running it, and reading your posts which I am sure are full of good tips.
here is a pic of the car, haven't done the soldering yet:
Joe Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #4607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

So i guess what you have there is a sexray then?
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #4608
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Vetter View Post
New guy here. Not sure how to post questions. Hope this works. I just bought the 411 sport version and I am having a difficult time with the plastic shocks. When I try to screw on the top caps, the caps are not very strong. They keep popping off the shock body. If I hit any obstruction with the car my shocks fall apart. Any ideas as to what I should do? Thanks Dave
If this is happening then you have other choice but to buy the RCM alu body from S411TE.

http://www.serpent.com/product/160104/
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4609
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
So i guess what you have there is a sexray then?
Haha because of the orange aluminum parts?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #4610
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

yes. looks like an xray but the machined parts are sexier i think on serpent. less is more.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #4611
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
yes. looks like an xray but the machined parts are sexier i think on serpent. less is more.
It is pretty indeed :-)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #4612
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Vetter View Post
New guy here. Not sure how to post questions. Hope this works. I just bought the 411 sport version and I am having a difficult time with the plastic shocks. When I try to screw on the top caps, the caps are not very strong. They keep popping off the shock body. If I hit any obstruction with the car my shocks fall apart. Any ideas as to what I should do? Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

Have you tried to contact Serpent directly? I'd give them a try to see if they can fix you up.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #4613
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Has anyone tried the David Ehbar steering rack mod? Dropping the rack, running the 4.5mm spacers underneath, and taking all the bumpsteer out.

Just curious what you've found if you've tried it. I also wonder how much going to the 2* c-hubs effected this too.

I've been running it, (less the 2*) and can't get a handle on if its helping or hurting the car........its almost feels like its helping free the corner speed up, but I'm on a real bear of a track setup right now, so I dont have a good baseline to compare this to.

ED, help...lol, or anyone else.
I don't run on carpet so can't comment too much.. but looking at the links on the car, I think doing that mod actually adds bump steer, rather than removing it, as it gives the steering link more vertical angle. It is something on my list to play with... but I've had more pressing issues to attend to!

Anyway, haven't posted after last sunday's testing, mainly as I've been shockingly busy at work, and also trying to sort out what I need to get done for the nationals coming up next week.

Pretty much got a feeling of going round in circles with the setup now... stuff I had done before to settle the car, is now working against me to get it rotating. Still, getting progress and do have a direction of what I want to get the car doing.

As for some of the other stuff I tried out... well, the VBC diff was working great, up until I lost the grub screw holding the inner drive pin in, which took out the outdrive. Feel on track was nice, ran 1000w, and seemed to gain more in the rear, all through the corner. Better steering in, more rotation in the middle, and better traction out.

Ed
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #4614
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I don't run on carpet so can't comment too much.. but looking at the links on the car, I think doing that mod actually adds bump steer, rather than removing it, as it gives the steering link more vertical angle. It is something on my list to play with... but I've had more pressing issues to attend to!

Anyway, haven't posted after last sunday's testing, mainly as I've been shockingly busy at work, and also trying to sort out what I need to get done for the nationals coming up next week.

Pretty much got a feeling of going round in circles with the setup now... stuff I had done before to settle the car, is now working against me to get it rotating. Still, getting progress and do have a direction of what I want to get the car doing.

As for some of the other stuff I tried out... well, the VBC diff was working great, up until I lost the grub screw holding the inner drive pin in, which took out the outdrive. Feel on track was nice, ran 1000w, and seemed to gain more in the rear, all through the corner. Better steering in, more rotation in the middle, and better traction out.

Ed
Good luck next week ED. i had to choose either Gas or EP Nats, i chose Gas, other wise id be there too. i think the track layout apart form a couple of corners looks similar to the layout at bunbury, which i used my setup on the serpent site under Patto Bayswater 411-TE . i found the new rack unsettled the car on corner entry, and have reverted back to the std rack with no issues anymore. anyway, best of luck , hope all goes well.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #4615
Tech Addict

Quote:
Could it be that additional bump steer compensates some other issue in the car?

On the track for me it's feeling good but yes the steering angles are a little strange.

Regards
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #4616
Tech Champion

Couple of pics tonight showing some weight differences.

First up... Standard V2 2gear vs VBC diff, then second, Standard spool versus nylon. Quite a decent amount of saving there.
5th picture shows a small mod I've done to tighten up the steering. Used a 3racing chassis flex screw with an o-ring on the top to remove the play in the steering, without tightening it up too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_3432.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3429.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3431.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3428.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2261.jpg  

Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #4617
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Lessen

What's the deal with the steering play I've been reading? Do the arms have vertical play between the lower and upper flanged pieces?

Also, what are you guys doing about slop in the wheel bearing areas? I was looking over a 411 a couple weeks ago and noticed there's a fair amount of play (wobble actually) here.

I'll be picking up a new kit soon and want to tackle all the common things right out of the gate.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #4618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

San's a solder job on the motor and a modded top deck if Ed has time Here are my boys ready to take on the Australian Nationals this week

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #4619
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
San's a solder job on the motor and a modded top deck if Ed has time Here are my boys ready to take on the Australian Nationals this week
Easy way round it... I'll trade you one of my modded ones for one of yours, and I'll mod it later

Mines all up and ready too, second car is coming a spare parts donator in case of emergency!
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_2259.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2258.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2257.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #4620
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Ed
Yes, sorry that was worded incorrectly, I meant taking out the bumpsteer spacers. DOH

All of you Serpent drivers going to the Nats, good luck.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote