R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4501
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Green Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
That depends on your current setup

If you could post a complete setup sheet, it will be much easier to guide you to a good solution. There are a lot of possibilities, but it all depends on how the rest of the car is setup
I appreciate it. I am running sweep exp 30 with lightweight inserts. Currantly it is mimicing this sheet from the Serpent site:
Serpent S411-set-up-sheet.jpg
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Green Machine! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #4502
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
My TE does have a lot of steering like everyone has been saying. What would you suggest to increase my on-power initial steering slightly and reduce my on power mid, and corner exit (or at least gain rear traction coming out of a corner)
Need just a little more info, is this on carpet or asphalt? What motor mod,13.5, 17.5?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #4503
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Green Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Need just a little more info, is this on carpet or asphalt? What motor mod,13.5, 17.5?
Carpet. Medium grip. 17.5 blinley. Lexus body.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Green Machine! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #4504
Tech Elite

Quote:
Carpet. Medium grip. 17.5 blinley. Lexus body.
I'd be tempted to raise the front inside camber links, go for wider suspension blocks in the front. The 2.0/1.0 works pretty good or run a 2.0/2.0 which will "deaden" the front a little.

Give it a try and let us know.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4505
Tech Elite

I had a pretty good weekend at the first WCIC series race, the report and setups should be posted in the next couple days.....I'll post the link when its up.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #4506
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I had a pretty good weekend at the first WCIC series race, the report and setups should be posted in the next couple days.....I'll post the link when its up.
Hope you can make it out to the Victoria leg of the series .
If so I'll look for you .
Old 10-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #4507
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I appreciate it. I am running sweep exp 30 with lightweight inserts. Currantly it is mimicing this sheet from the Serpent site:
Attachment 987188
As it is my setup I know it quiet well
As you can see, I'm not running a standard TE diff. I'm using 4 small Xceed plastic gears, instead of the 2 small metal gears. I assume that your diff is standard, which means you will need to use a thicker diff oil.
When running the standard diff, you will be looking at something around 2000 cst instead of the 1200 I used.
When you use to soft diff oil, you can get some strange behavior from the car. I have experienced that to soft oil, can make the rear step out coming into a corner, but not every time. I could go through corner 4 times, but the 5. time the rear would just slide without any warning.

I'm glad that I can see people using my setups, and liking them, really makes me wanna help and keep on posting setups

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #4508
Tech Regular

Quote:
As it is my setup I know it quiet well
As you can see, I'm not running a standard TE diff. I'm using 4 small Xceed plastic gears, instead of the 2 small metal gears. I assume that your diff is standard, which means you will need to use a thicker diff oil.
When running the standard diff, you will be looking at something around 2000 cst instead of the 1200 I used.
When you use to soft diff oil, you can get some strange behavior from the car. I have experienced that to soft oil, can make the rear step out coming into a corner, but not every time. I could go through corner 4 times, but the 5. time the rear would just slide without any warning.

I'm glad that I can see people using my setups, and liking them, really makes me wanna help and keep on posting setups
I have experieced the opposite. When using 1200-1500 cst with the standard diff the rear end is quite loose. When switching to really thin oil, 50-60 wt, the car felt much better. Of course this all depends on grip levels aswell. We have only low grip carpet tracks here.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #4509
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
I have experieced the opposite. When using 1200-1500 cst with the standard diff the rear end is quite loose. When switching to really thin oil, 50-60 wt, the car felt much better. Of course this all depends on grip levels aswell. We have only low grip carpet tracks here.
Correct, of cause it depends on the grip level. And yes, in low grip conditions, the diff must not be too tight

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #4510
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Quote:
Correct, of cause it depends on the grip level. And yes, in low grip conditions, the diff must not be too tight
I have experienced both situations, and it really reflects on the track layout and the surface. I tend to run the lighter oils as well, but this last race I ended up going to 2k oil which really helped the car setup off the corner. Definately a tuning tool and something to consider when going to different racks, so don't get locked into thinking whats good at home should be good elsewhere.

One thing I did notice when I went from the lighter diff oil to the heavier oil, my diff actually smoothed out and no longer had the notchy feel to it. Which makes me think that possibly the lighter oil isn't coating the teeth of the gears as well as the heavy oil, so the notchy feel is more of the feel of tooth on tooth with no oil "cushion" between them. This also make me wonder if using certain silicon oils doesn't give enough cling to cushion the teeth....might have to try a natural oil instead of a silicon.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #4511
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I have experienced both situations, and it really reflects on the track layout and the surface. I tend to run the lighter oils as well, but this last race I ended up going to 2k oil which really helped the car setup off the corner. Definately a tuning tool and something to consider when going to different racks, so don't get locked into thinking whats good at home should be good elsewhere.

One thing I did notice when I went from the lighter diff oil to the heavier oil, my diff actually smoothed out and no longer had the notchy feel to it. Which makes me think that possibly the lighter oil isn't coating the teeth of the gears as well as the heavy oil, so the notchy feel is more of the feel of tooth on tooth with no oil "cushion" between them. This also make me wonder if using certain silicon oils doesn't give enough cling to cushion the teeth....might have to try a natural oil instead of a silicon.
Another factor to bare in mind as well is how full you fill the diff, this also has an effect on the action. Personally, I always try and fill mine as much as possible, to keep it consistent when changing oils.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #4512
Tech Champion

Some pics of parts to test this weekend....

Another new top deck (still with the front brace mind), with a split rear brace, but keeping the ability (via screw and nut) to keep it as original.

VBC diff in the rear, nice, smooth and light...

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_3378.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3379.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3380.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3392.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3391.jpg  

Old 11-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #4513
Tech Champion

Also, for those looking for a bit of a compromise solution, without having to go the extra axles.... Serpent diff outdrives fit in the VBC fine, just have to use the steel crown gear. Even the gear pitch looks identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_3322.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3323.jpg   Serpent S411-img_3324.jpg  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #4514
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Cestaric
Default Ackerman and Bumpsteer

Guys,
I know that when we add shimms on the steering hack we are in fact changing Ackerman angles on the fromt wheel. In the stock form, S411 has no shimm, but I saw some setups where the people are using up to 3mm shimms there. What are the real efects I should fell on the drivebility of the car ? The more shimms, the more smooth steering response ? Is that right ?

Other question is about shimms betwen the steering blocks and steering link. I know we are talking about bumpersteer, but in fact, what kind of reaction change we have when some shimms are added ?

Thanks

Special thanks to RCW tires and wheels
www.sebrasltda.com
Cestaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #4515
Tech Regular

If you add shims under the steering block you get more steering in the middle of the turn and out but less in.

@TryHard. Benefits of using the VBC diff?