R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #4441
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI View Post
By v2, you mean a 1piece motor mount? Does the top deck rub on the layshaft gear at all upon it flexing?
I have a spare roller Im selling on here, but I may keep it and try this mod. Is there a reason one side of the part is cut slightly higher?
Yes I use a one peace motor mount. The bearing holders are grind a little bit on the top so when the chassis flexes the top deck doesn't touch the holders. The parts are cut like this to prevent touching and by this limiting the flex at the back. Before that I was using shims under the top deck like Tryhard suggested and I liked it very much. Now I realized I'm running without the screws all the time so why not to try it this way.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #4442
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Green Machine!

Is anyone running the antenna in a differant place? Pulling the top plate off is a pain in the butt with the tube being mounted where the instructions tell you to put it.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Green Machine! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #4443
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Also, has anyone ran the front toe blocks up 1mm and the rears on the chassis? The car wanted to continue rotating late corner exit.... although most other cars behaved the same. It was hard to tell if the back needed more roll or "stiffened" up to create more lateral/side bite.
I read somewhere where this is not desirable and has a very good explination why........but I can't remember where or why......but it was convincing enough to me that it shouldn't be used........I have to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
How do you guys get the car below 6 mm if youīre using the inner shock hole on the rear arm?
I generally run at 5.5mm but it usually means I'm only about 3 or 4 turns down from the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexVegaz View Post
does anyone know if the xray t3 ecs/djc will fit the 411?

thanks!
They would fit but you would have to change the spool or Diff as well because the ball end of the ecs is larger on the Xray parts. You would also have to change the inner bearing in the steering hubs as the Serpents use two different sizes and the Xray is one size all the way thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
Is anyone running the antenna in a differant place? Pulling the top plate off is a pain in the butt with the tube being mounted where the instructions tell you to put it.
No, as the antenna mount is also used as a battery stop. Yes it is a pain.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #4444
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to BAD007SUZUKI
Default i see

i think im gonna have mine milled. that way if i want to put the screws in i can shim it 2.5mm and use it as intended. i like the idea a lot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Yes I use a one peace motor mount. The bearing holders are grind a little bit on the top so when the chassis flexes the top deck doesn't touch the holders. The parts are cut like this to prevent touching and by this limiting the flex at the back. Before that I was using shims under the top deck like Tryhard suggested and I liked it very much. Now I realized I'm running without the screws all the time so why not to try it this way.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #4445
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I am. I also use the Tamiya mounting hardware (blue ballstuds) so the shock is spaced away from the mounts a bit. They work great!

Being shorter, they also work great for trying the inner arm mounts and still getting proper ride height and uptravel.
Thanks. I think I will try them.
Nitroblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #4446
Tech Fanatic

The colored Tamiya spring kit # 53440. Is this the common good choice of tuning springs that some people here are talking about? My LHS has this and wanted to make sure before I get it.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #4447
Tech Elite

Quote:
The colored Tamiya spring kit # 53440. Is this the common good choice of tuning springs that some people here are talking about? My LHS has this and wanted to make sure before I get it.
I try to stay with the stock Serpent springs as much as possible, just for ease of setup information, but, I also bought a set of the Tamiya spring kit, not sure about the part number, but the springs I ended up with where almost too short, had to have the collars way down the shock just to get ride height. All I can suggest is make sure that stack height is close to the stock Serpent spring, then you should be good. As far as the set itself for strength, I think they would be a pretty good substitute for the stock items, a good range even for just 4 springs.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #4448
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I try to stay with the stock Serpent springs as much as possible, just for ease of setup information, but, I also bought a set of the Tamiya spring kit, not sure about the part number, but the springs I ended up with where almost too short, had to have the collars way down the shock just to get ride height. All I can suggest is make sure that stack height is close to the stock Serpent spring, then you should be good. As far as the set itself for strength, I think they would be a pretty good substitute for the stock items, a good range even for just 4 springs.
Thank you J.W. ;-) I want to favor the actual Serpent parts also. I just saw people talking about Tamiya springs and then I decided to open up the set up sheets off the serpent site. And one for sure I saw said they were using the "Tamiya white and blue springs" I'll try to look at them more closely in person and see whats' up.
FUTABA
SSCLCG
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #4449
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you talking carpet, the tamiya white and blue combo is a defacto setup that a lot of teams use, that and the Yokomo pink/blue.
Most of the tamiya team have run those on carpet since the original 415... So about 8years ago!
HiH
Ed
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #4450
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
If you talking carpet, the tamiya white and blue combo is a defacto setup that a lot of teams use, that and the Yokomo pink/blue.
Most of the tamiya team have run those on carpet since the original 415... So about 8years ago!
HiH
Ed
Interesting that they use the same combo despite the cars being 150g lighter nowadays.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:49 AM   #4451
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Thank you J.W. ;-) I want to favor the actual Serpent parts also. I just saw people talking about Tamiya springs and then I decided to open up the set up sheets off the serpent site. And one for sure I saw said they were using the "Tamiya white and blue springs" I'll try to look at them more closely in person and see whats' up.
On carpet I'm always using Tamiya white and blue in comparison to the Serpent springs, they make the car feel easier and nicer to drive.

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #4452
Tech Rookie

I used last race (callīs NRW FUN Cup) Serpent Black and Gray Springs ! The Car was very Easy to drive and have very good Steering ! With my setup i drive a new Lap Reckord on this track .Itīs neer to the ETS Setup by David .

My setup file is to big Sorry ,any idea ??
Der_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #4453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNTRFLD View Post
Hi guys! Sorry I started reading into this long thread and I got lost lol. I figured I would go ahead and just ask away...

Can someone please tell me the differences between the TE and the LE? I'm thinking about going all Serpent so, i'll need to pick up a new TC for this year. Isn't the TE a newer version correct? I know they only made 300 LE kits... anyone?

Thanks again guys.
Only thing not mentioned is chassis thickness. The LE's were 2.25, while the original V1's were 2.5 (? as I recall). I am not sure what the TE's have. I already have the V2 steering and motor mounts on my LE's, but am happy with the V1 shocks and diffs. The LE also comes with 2 diffs and a spool.

I personally love the orange, but that is just me.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #4454
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Mo View Post
I used last race (callīs NRW FUN Cup) Serpent Black and Gray Springs ! The Car was very Easy to drive and have very good Steering ! With my setup i drive a new Lap Reckord on this track .Itīs neer to the ETS Setup by David .

My setup file is to big Sorry ,any idea ??
The only thing thats worked for me in posting setups on here, is to get them onto the Petit RC site and then do a link on here to take you over there.

The Tamiya springs I bought where the right colours, but I think they may have been for another car not a TC, bad part is the use the same colours for all their springs. But the tried and true blue and white seems to be a pretty good combo, even after all these years.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #4455
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I have had good luck with the serpent springs, but actually prefer the RSD springs. They seem to come in more inbetween weights, fit great, and feel very consistent. I have full sets of both (2+ pairs in most cases as well) along with a set of HPI and Xray springs. My custom pit board has the relative weights of all of those springs so it is easier to compare. No one else is running an S411 at my track anymore, so when the Xray guy next to me says he changed his 3.0's to 2.8's, I can reference how to accomplish it in other brands, or even run the same springs. It just gives me the options to try whatever I want.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote