R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #4366
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
No prob, really trying to get the car sorted out in time for the nats, will have probably another couple of test days and thats it... long list of stuff still to try!!
Ed, Have you thought about making the cut out under the front bulk heads to look like the Smokem mx chassis? I have a couple of used chassis I could sacrifice for the nat's to see how a cut like this feels.

__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #4367
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjav View Post
Hey,

This race was my last TC race of the season, so for the winter I will prepare one Mazda 6 and will check the nylon spool.

Kind regards

Hi.

We had a race last weekend, where we tried the nylon spool. Modified 4,5 t Thunderpower on a mid grip carpet. 15 batteries - no problems at all.

I haven't checked the wear after the race yet, only when I checked the car before the qualifications. At that time I could hardly find something. I put a small ammount of crease into the outdrive. I used old ball diff grease, as it is for both plastic and steel.

My thougts about the nylon spool is, that it will work fine in almost every condition - including modified, but it has limitid durabillity when it comes to a crash. Then it can brake - like seen with the plastic outdrives of fx the Tamiya cars.

The nylon spool saves a lot of weight and rotation mass. For the first time we had a car, which was under the minimum weigt. 1346 gram with a PF
Mazdaspeed regular body.

The question is now: are you ready to accept the small risk for breakage in a crash - and save a lot of weight?

We will - as the price for the nylon spool is low. When we have to race on track with high risk for crashes (fx when the track is tight and the layout is made of wooden planks (yes - some tracks are)), then we will switch to the standard steel spool.
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #4368
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Ed, Have you thought about making the cut out under the front bulk heads to look like the Smokem mx chassis? I have a couple of used chassis I could sacrifice for the nat's to see how a cut like this feels.

Thought about it yes, not high on my list of things to try though, mostly because some, if not most, of the change would be taken away from using the suspension block acting as a cross brace... if we had split blocks, then something to look into for sure.
(I'm not about to mount cut blocks with one screw mind )
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #4369
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
(I'm not about to mount cut blocks with one screw mind )
Do you think it's worth to go for the split blocks? I mean should Serpent develop the next evolution of the car in this direction? Or is it just another merchandising thing ...
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #4370
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Do you think it's worth to go for the split blocks? I mean should Serpent develop the next evolution of the car in this direction? Or is it just another merchandising thing ...
the sport comes with rear split blocks...

So looks like it will go in that direction. I actually want to see FR split blocks.. will save a hell of a time changing belts
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #4371
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Do you think it's worth to go for the split blocks? I mean should Serpent develop the next evolution of the car in this direction? Or is it just another merchandising thing ...
Yes I do believe thats a development they should pursure, it sure made a difference to the 417/416's when I ran that car. Although I would prefer the BD7 style with the diagonalled screws (like the sport), rather than the Tam style straight screws, just think thats a more secure mounting.

But hey, not my choice... just offering my opinion
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #4372
Tech Regular
 
musti72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Turkey
Posts: 442
Default

Here you can find Hara's comments on split blocks;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dluw3VUGYoU
__________________
Mustafa Alp

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #4373
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musti72 View Post
Here you can find Hara's comments on split blocks;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dluw3VUGYoU
So what is Serpent waiting for + my rear belt is touching the suspension block!
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #4374
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Yes I do believe thats a development they should pursure, it sure made a difference to the 417/416's when I ran that car. Although I would prefer the BD7 style with the diagonalled screws (like the sport), rather than the Tam style straight screws, just think thats a more secure mounting.

But hey, not my choice... just offering my opinion
Since you have experience with Tamiya and Serpent how would you compare the cars?

Let's say for good club driver would he benefit with one of those chassis or would you say it doesn't matter what he drives.

I'm just curious because I drive a S411te and some of my friends think I would be much better of with the TRF417x .

Regards, G
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #4375
Tech Apprentice
 
RasCalDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Since you have experience with Tamiya and Serpent how would you compare the cars?

Let's say for good club driver would he benefit with one of those chassis or would you say it doesn't matter what he drives.

I'm just curious because I drive a S411te and some of my friends think I would be much better of with the TRF417x .

Regards, G
I have also had a 416/417, and found that the standard S411 has more steering (faster around the track), but easier to drive!
And the S411 has a better setup window, with a good base setup, the car will be great on almost all tracks. The 417 was harder to get right from track to track. I haven't jet been on a track, where my Serpent did not feel great!

And with the S411te it's just a tick better.
__________________
Rasmus T. Callesen - Denmark

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #4376
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
I have also had a 416/417, and found that the standard S411 has more steering (faster around the track), but easier to drive!
And the S411 has a better setup window, with a good base setup, the car will be great on almost all tracks. The 417 was harder to get right from track to track. I haven't jet been on a track, where my Serpent did not feel great!

And with the S411te it's just a tick better.
Thanks for the input!
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #4377
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Since you have experience with Tamiya and Serpent how would you compare the cars?

Let's say for good club driver would he benefit with one of those chassis or would you say it doesn't matter what he drives.

I'm just curious because I drive a S411te and some of my friends think I would be much better of with the TRF417x .

Regards, G
Not myself, but a friend at the track converted from a 417x to the S411. He is now running a T3 2012 also, but that is another story. Durability was the biggest issue. The 417x c-hubs are extremely brittle.

I think that unless you are the lone S411 owner there and always chasing setups while the rest of the fast guys have 417's, there really isn't a good reason to change.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #4378
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Can you buy the narrow 2.25mm TE chassis separately? I can't find a part number for a chassis that looks like the narrow version, but maybe they're just re-using the old photo?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #4379
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Can you buy the narrow 2.25mm TE chassis separately? I can't find a part number for a chassis that looks like the narrow version, but maybe they're just re-using the old photo?
Steve the only wide chassis was the old 2.50, all the rest went to the narrow format from the get go. So the part number should be current for the correct chassis.

Nice to see another Serpent in the West btw.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #4380
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 972
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Steve the only wide chassis was the old 2.50, all the rest went to the narrow format from the get go. So the part number should be current for the correct chassis.

Nice to see another Serpent in the West btw.
Thanks, really happy with the car so far. Ran it in mod for the first time this weekend and didn't lose too badly to Tozser. Can't complain about that

This is the photo that's been confusing me:
http://serpent.com/product/401444/

So you're saying #401444 is the TE version, without the notches on the battery side?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0