Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #4336
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
The PDF is to large, so here is a link to download it from my Dropbox folder:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31035638/Se...igh%20grip.pdf

In the notes you can see what I'd still like to test, but haven't gotten to jet.
You have photos ?
Pickthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #4337
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi. I've just finished rebuilding a gear diff for the first time. It was a little noisy originally and still is after the rebuild. I thought maybe there might have been rough teeth on the gears so I tried using lapping paste in it to bed in the teeth but that made no difference. Despite the noise problem the diff feels smooth enough. My main question is, when attaching the sun gear to the diff half, how tight should I do up the screw that holds it in place? Tightened right up the sun gear still spins but I wonder if this is the right thing to or not and was hoping someone with a little more experience than me might offer some advice.

Cheers
Walter RC Hobby
AUSCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #4338
Tech Apprentice

What do you want pictures of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSCAN View Post
Hi. I've just finished rebuilding a gear diff for the first time. It was a little noisy originally and still is after the rebuild. I thought maybe there might have been rough teeth on the gears so I tried using lapping paste in it to bed in the teeth but that made no difference. Despite the noise problem the diff feels smooth enough. My main question is, when attaching the sun gear to the diff half, how tight should I do up the screw that holds it in place? Tightened right up the sun gear still spins but I wonder if this is the right thing to or not and was hoping someone with a little more experience than me might offer some advice.

Cheers
Is it a V1 or V2 diff? Both diffs do have a clicking noise, do to the quiet large teeth i guess.
The screw you are talking about, is the one that holds the large gear attached to the outdrive right? That screw needs to be tight and you can also ad a small drop of lock tight, to be sure it doesn't get loos.

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #4339
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
What do you want pictures of?

Is it a V1 or V2 diff? Both diffs do have a clicking noise, do to the quiet large teeth i guess.
The screw you are talking about, is the one that holds the large gear attached to the outdrive right? That screw needs to be tight and you can also ad a small drop of lock tight, to be sure it doesn't get loos.
Hi Rasmus.

Thank you for replying to my question. It's a V1 diff and yes you are correct re the screw holding the gear to the outdrive. I have done the screws up tight and put a spot of threadlock on the threads of the screws. I've just been wondering if I should have backed off the screw 1/4 turn perhaps to make sure everything ran free.

Thanks again.

Tony
Walter RC Hobby
AUSCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #4340
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSCAN View Post
Hi Rasmus.

Thank you for replying to my question. It's a V1 diff and yes you are correct re the screw holding the gear to the outdrive. I have done the screws up tight and put a spot of threadlock on the threads of the screws. I've just been wondering if I should have backed off the screw 1/4 turn perhaps to make sure everything ran free.

Thanks again.

Tony
I just left out the washers under the big gears! Works fine and smooth without leeking!
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #4341
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
I just left out the washers under the big gears! Works fine and smooth without leeking!
The screws needs to be tight, but yes, test how many shims is needed. I think that building the diff like the manual shows, will give you a too tight diff. But when not using the large washer, sand down the backside of the gear. Just to make sure there is no edge to rip the X-ring.

The V2 diff has a smoother diff action, and less clicking noise. But with enough running and the correct amount of spacing, you should be able to get a smooth diff.

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #4342
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I just bought one of these. I'll be setting it up for a relatively low grip asphalt. My first thought it so soften it up.. another thoughts on getting it dialed? Also what kind of gearing works for 17.5?

Matt
mdwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #4343
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default use it out of the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwalsh View Post
I just bought one of these. I'll be setting it up for a relatively low grip asphalt. My first thought it so soften it up.. another thoughts on getting it dialed? Also what kind of gearing works for 17.5?

Matt
we race at a very Low grip track and the box set up orange frnt yellow rear works fine re the suspension.WE run 21.5 blinky so you need to tell us wether it is blinky or turbo software re the roll out

Going up sping rates and using the cars natural flex works fine but keep the shocks soft to make it less twitcchy than the factory oil specs
WELCOME to the group
these are great cars
Castle Hill Raceway
The Best in the West
JAM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #4344
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM Racing View Post
we race at a very Low grip track and the box set up orange frnt yellow rear works fine re the suspension.WE run 21.5 blinky so you need to tell us wether it is blinky or turbo software re the roll out

Going up sping rates and using the cars natural flex works fine but keep the shocks soft to make it less twitcchy than the factory oil specs
WELCOME to the group
these are great cars
Hi,

also new and still waiting delivery of my TE. Wouldn't a thinner diff oil in the back (1000-1200) also help?

Faan
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #4345
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaanP View Post
Hi,

also new and still waiting delivery of my TE. Wouldn't a thinner diff oil in the back (1000-1200) also help?

Faan
it just depends on your driving style, the track, how you build your diff and your oil brand...

For example, Mustafa builds his diff with 1500 and I build mine with 1500 they do not feel the same at all. mine always feels softer compared to his. so I usually put 1000cst more compared to his setups to be able to get the same feel.

so finding the right setup for the diff is alot of trial and error. also stick with the same brand oil....

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4346
Tech Addict

its just going to be 17.5 blinky....

i also have a question of motors, ive got a reedy sonic and a trinity revtech. ive gotta put one in the s411 and one in my s120lt 1/12th scale. anyone have a preference either direction?

Matt
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #4347
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwalsh View Post
its just going to be 17.5 blinky....

i also have a question of motors, ive got a reedy sonic and a trinity revtech. ive gotta put one in the s411 and one in my s120lt 1/12th scale. anyone have a preference either direction?

Matt
I'd go ReVtech with a 12.5 hi-torque in the TC. I currently run that combo and I've only been outmotor'd by a hand-wound D3.5!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #4348
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I'd go ReVtech with a 12.5 hi-torque in the TC. I currently run that combo and I've only been outmotor'd by a hand-wound D3.5!
where should i start with gearing?

Matt
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Who sells a hand-wound 17.5 motors?
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #4350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Who sells a hand-wound 17.5 motors?
I don't know specifically but I was told a stupid fast motor I saw was hand-wound.....! And it was a D3 I think, not 3.5, sorry!

For ReVtech gearing..... depends on the track! What size?