R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #4306
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I've been running a long 1.3 rear bar, and I personally like it better than a short 1.2, because it feels smoother but holds a bit more in high-speed turns.
Which ARB is the 1.3mm?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #4307
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Gear diff oil is pretty heavy, traction must have been through the roof
Oops typo is 2,000
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #4308
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Gear diff oil is pretty heavy, traction must have been through the roof
edited my post and reposted the set up sheet
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #4309
Tech Elite
 
dawgmeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,380
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
edited my post and reposted the set up sheet
Yourtha MAN
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #4310
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Which ARB is the 1.3mm?
XRAY rear 1.3!
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #4311
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
I can't figure out how you have placed the links? But to get the rear more lively, you should use the inner hole on the upright. This really frees up the rear, if you are running the outer hole.
And again... use the spool
If you put some shrink tube around the outdrive, you can also use tape, then you can grease it up. I have had almost no wear at all, just keep it greased.
You can checkout my setup: http://serpent.com/product/400012/setups/ (411 - Callesen - carpet)
It's got loads of steering, also on power, but the rear keeps following the car nice and predictable.
Tried your setup, itīs a really good starting point. I tried it on a very small and technical track and it had more than enough steering.
A question about the motormount. Are you attaching the V1 sidemount with only one screw?
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #4312
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I've been running a long 1.3 rear bar, and I personally like it better than a short 1.2, because it feels smoother but holds a bit more in high-speed turns.
What parts are you guys using to connect the long rear roll bars? IE 2 ball cups and a 3x12 grub screw connecting? Pic's if possible
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #4313
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,173
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
What parts are you guys using to connect the long rear roll bars? IE 2 ball cups and a 3x12 grub screw connecting? Pic's if possible
I just used what I had in my pit box, so tamiya 5mm hexheaded ball studs into the arms, and some tamiya ball cups, with a 12mm threaded grub screw as you mention. Pretty easy to setup really.
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #4314
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I just used what I had in my pit box, so tamiya 5mm hexheaded ball studs into the arms, and some tamiya ball cups, with a 12mm threaded grub screw as you mention. Pretty easy to setup really.
I have heaps of spare serpent ball studs as i have switched all the camber links to Xray items. I was more curious about the grub screw size to adjust the length. Thanks.
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #4315
Tech Elite
 
orcadigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,145
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
orcadigital, did you ever get your motor issues worked out?

I also am not a big fan of going lower than 3 hole on the shock tower.
Ordered a Build a Ballistic from Novak directly. Still messing with timing/FDR but picked up a chunk of speed. Matched number stator and a fresh rotor makes a nice difference. Freed up the car a bit as well which also made up another tenth or 2. Ordered the nylon spool for less drivetrain mass as well.

Got the TC back on the track yesterday as well for a little practice. Spent more time on the 12th scale since we were running that class last night, and ignored the VTA because none showed up (Saturday is an offnight at our track right now, and Wednesday is the main VTA night). Have a race in Alabama next weekend and will run VTA and 12th again and see how it goes.

Spent a lot of last night discussing TC setup with a guy at the track who drives 12th scale but mostly onroad nitro. His help was invaluable with the TC, and gives me a lot of ideas for the VTA as well. He is not only helping me with changes, but understanding what the changes are doing, and how to feel and recognize those changes on the track. Pretty excited for this winter season to increase my onroad setup knowledge and hopefully increase my driving skills. Rollcenters and droop have such huge impacts and at least by me are the least understood tuning aids.
__________________
Desoto Racing * Serpent America * Boca Bearings

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #4316
Tech Apprentice
 
RasCalDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Tried your setup, itīs a really good starting point. I tried it on a very small and technical track and it had more than enough steering.
A question about the motormount. Are you attaching the V1 sidemount with only one screw?
Good that you like my setup
I you think there is too much steering, then try using the outer hole on the rear upright. It makes the more stable, and the car gets easier to drive.

Yes, with the V2 mount, I use the V1 sidemount to attach it to the chassis. And I only use one screw at the back, not both!

When i Switched to the standard V2 mount, I felt that the flex was wrong. When you drove into a corner, you had to be careful, otherwise the rear would step out of line. When using the V1 side mount, you almost get the same feel as the V1 mount (a more stable rear end), but you avoid the chance of stripping a spur.

Yesterday I tested on a very high grip track, and came to a setup that almost eliminated the chance of traction rolling. The feel was also good, not to itchy to drive. I will post the setup later.
__________________
Rasmus T. Callesen - Denmark

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 AM   #4317
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
Good that you like my setup
I you think there is too much steering, then try using the outer hole on the rear upright. It makes the more stable, and the car gets easier to drive.

Yes, with the V2 mount, I use the V1 sidemount to attach it to the chassis. And I only use one screw at the back, not both!

When i Switched to the standard V2 mount, I felt that the flex was wrong. When you drove into a corner, you had to be careful, otherwise the rear would step out of line. When using the V1 side mount, you almost get the same feel as the V1 mount (a more stable rear end), but you avoid the chance of stripping a spur.

Yesterday I tested on a very high grip track, and came to a setup that almost eliminated the chance of traction rolling. The feel was also good, not to itchy to drive. I will post the setup later.
Which screws do you use in the top plate? Do you use the ''standard TE'' flex 2mm top plate on carpet (high grip) or do you think it's worth to trie the older version with less flex in front?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #4318
Tech Apprentice
 
RasCalDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Which screws do you use in the top plate? Do you use the ''standard TE'' flex 2mm top plate on carpet (high grip) or do you think it's worth to trie the older version with less flex in front?
With the V2 mount and the V1 side mount i Don't use any screw in the top plate. And yes, i use the 2 mm flex top plate. Wen using the standard V1 mount, i would clearly recommend using a grub screw through the top plate, to avoid stripping a spur, but it will still give more flex than with the normal screw.

I thought about testing the standard non flex 2 mm top plate, on the high grip track, put didn't get to it. Next time on that track, I will try it. I thin it should quiet the car down, as the grip gets a little lower, but response could be getting better.
__________________
Rasmus T. Callesen - Denmark

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #4319
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post
Good that you like my setup
I you think there is too much steering, then try using the outer hole on the rear upright. It makes the more stable, and the car gets easier to drive.

Yes, with the V2 mount, I use the V1 sidemount to attach it to the chassis. And I only use one screw at the back, not both!

When i Switched to the standard V2 mount, I felt that the flex was wrong. When you drove into a corner, you had to be careful, otherwise the rear would step out of line. When using the V1 side mount, you almost get the same feel as the V1 mount (a more stable rear end), but you avoid the chance of stripping a spur.

Yesterday I tested on a very high grip track, and came to a setup that almost eliminated the chance of traction rolling. The feel was also good, not to itchy to drive. I will post the setup later.
Ok!
So the V1 sidemount is attached in total with just one screw (rear, bottom)? No screws linking it together with the V2 motormount from the side?
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #4320
Tech Apprentice
 
RasCalDK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Ok!
So the V1 sidemount is attached in total with just one screw (rear, bottom)? No screws linking it together with the V2 motormount from the side?
Sorry of course there are all the screws linking the side mount to the actual motormount
__________________
Rasmus T. Callesen - Denmark

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:38 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0