R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #4216
Tech Initiate
 
ForzaVeloce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I looked at those as well, interesting design, the only advantage I see with them is the support at the top and bottom so there is very little rod deflection during the extreme stroke of the shock. I think those would be a good application if one where getting into some very heavy shock oil setups, where the drag force of the piston begins to put uneven pressure on the shaft, or different sized holes in the same piston.
You seem to miss the whole point of the design. The biggest advantage with the design is that you have no preassure build up by the shaft. The shafts displacment is constant and you do not need a bladder or anything else to compensate for displacment build up. Just so you know.. ! ;o)
__________________
___________________________
HP Racing - Hobbyprodukter.com
Serpent Cobra SRX8 - Serpent s411
ForzaVeloce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #4217
Tech Fanatic
 
JAM Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Baulkham Hills
Posts: 751
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thats not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I looked at those as well, interesting design, the only advantage I see with them is the support at the top and bottom so there is very little rod deflection during the extreme stroke of the shock. I think those would be a good application if one where getting into some very heavy shock oil setups, where the drag force of the piston begins to put uneven pressure on the shaft, or different sized holes in the same piston.
as the rod at the top displaces the same amount as the bottom that leads to the ball joint their is no need for a bladder at all. (except for heat)

The only reason we have the bladders/foam is due to the unequal displacement of the rod side to cylinder side.

Serpent early shocks with their foam collar work fine but i wouldn't call them an emulsion shock but the tricks you can play with them are more than standard shock

if you build them closed you can preload the shock itself..in the compressed position ..when it extends it opens the foam opens up on the collar closed cell rubber

this leads to it carrying a rising rate on the spring which you are running
This is the best forum by the way and is possibly why we changed to serpents
regards Andrew
__________________
Walters Hobbies for all your racing needs
Serpent 411/ERYX
ORCA BATTERIES
Castle Hill Raceway
The Best in the West

Last edited by JAM Racing; 09-18-2012 at 01:45 AM. Reason: typo
JAM Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #4218
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,173
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Gary, in terms of damping, what feeling are you trying to achieve? Admittedly I haven't run the original serpent RCXX shocks, but there are quite a few tweaks that you can do to the RCM's to get them working much better. Just as a list, I've done the following;
Tamiya Bladders - Standard Serpent ones were, IMO, to inconsistent part to part)
Tamiya blue o-rings in the bottom - white supplied o-ring had too much shaft stiction.. however, these o-rings do need a bit of spacing as they are thinner. Currently have 0.6mm inside the bottom of each shock, no leaks.
Drilled top - This is a usual feel thing, run mine this way regardless now.

Also this past weekend, I experimented with using more holes/harder oil, and very much liked the feel of the shocks this way. Took away some of the initial pack in the shock, and better over the ripples we have out here.

I've got a load more thoughts from this past weekend, but I need a bit of time to process and write them down, so will post again later.

Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #4219
Tech Elite
 
gearhead_22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philly
Posts: 2,353
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22
Default

my buddy Irvin cole wins the tc mod race at the sweeps challange at bluediamond rc in new castle delware.
__________________
serpent 977WC-novarossi-748TQ
serpent S120 LTR-S411 4X-F110 fs2
serpent America/Ashford Hobby/skyrocket racing
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #4220
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Can I get this car down to 1,350gr?
Without all kinds of expensive solutions....?

SP13.5MMM
SP Cirtix
Orion Carbon Pro 6500mAh weight 290gr
Lightweight body LTC-R

If not, HMX M1 it's gonna be.......
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #4221
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Can I get this car down to 1,350gr?
Without all kinds of expensive solutions....?

SP13.5MMM
SP Cirtix
Orion Carbon Pro 6500mAh weight 290gr
Lightweight body LTC-R

If not, HMX M1 it's gonna be.......
if its not controlled class get the wires as short as possible.
use a light weight battery.

servo???*

titanium screws on top deck (or alu if you trust your driving )

alu rear shaft.
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #4222
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
if its not controlled class get the wires as short as possible.
use a light weight battery.

servo???*

titanium screws on top deck (or alu if you trust your driving )

alu rear shaft.
I have only added aluminum screws (all over) to mine.... with 2 gear diffs, a fan, standard electronics, and a 6000mAh battery it weighed at 1340. Team Associated's aluminum screw packs from Tower Hobbies are priced decently.... that can knock up to 30 off the car.

The nylon spool weighs 10g or so less than the stock steel piece. Aluminum rear shafts would shave 5-10 more, and replace all 7 turnbuckles with aluminum ones (about 2g a piece).
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #4223
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I have only added aluminum screws (all over) to mine.... with 2 gear diffs, a fan, standard electronics, and a 6000mAh battery it weighed at 1340. Team Associated's aluminum screw packs from Tower Hobbies are priced decently.... that can knock up to 30 off the car.

The nylon spool weighs 10g or so less than the stock steel piece. Aluminum rear shafts would shave 5-10 more, and replace all 7 turnbuckles with aluminum ones (about 2g a piece).
Sounds about right. I am running 25gr on my car to get to 1354

and that was with the old car. the new one I recon I ll need to put more weight or more fans
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #4224
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughbeard View Post
Sounds about right. I am running 25gr on my car to get to 1354

and that was with the old car. the new one I recon I ll need to put more weight or more fans
Are aluminum shafts available from Serpent?..... Or you guys using a different brand? I'll be switching to the nylon spool this week, and new shafts would be great. I think I have as much fun shaving weight as I do racing! One thing I like about mod is you can ditch the fan and run a smaller battery.... which can save up to 30g also!
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #4225
Tech Addict
 
Toughbeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Posts: 508
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Are aluminum shafts available from Serpent?..... Or you guys using a different brand? I'll be switching to the nylon spool this week, and new shafts would be great. I think I have as much fun shaving weight as I do racing! One thing I like about mod is you can ditch the fan and run a smaller battery.... which can save up to 30g also!
http://www.evilhobbyshop.com/Drivesh...2,PR-1021.html
__________________
Serdar Aytemiz

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #4226
Tech Regular
 
rdlkgliders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: So. Cal High Desert Hobbies
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

1313.7g with a 5600mah, viper vtx 10, savox 1251 low pro
2.0MM chassis
__________________
Serpent, KO Propo, Viper, Savox, ProTek
Team Waldorf Racing

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 09-19-2012 at 05:33 AM.
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #4227
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I have only added aluminum screws (all over) to mine.... with 2 gear diffs, a fan, standard electronics, and a 6000mAh battery it weighed at 1340. Team Associated's aluminum screw packs from Tower Hobbies are priced decently.... that can knock up to 30 off the car.

The nylon spool weighs 10g or so less than the stock steel piece. Aluminum rear shafts would shave 5-10 more, and replace all 7 turnbuckles with aluminum ones (about 2g a piece).
These?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJHB0

Or these?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSG34
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #4228
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Ok, thank you guys

So I am gonna get me:

SER401470 Alu driveshaft
SER401533 Nylon spool
SER401429 Trackrod alu
SER401430 Camberlink alu (2 sets..?)

What about the seventh one?
Partnumber?

And then the Asso screwset? Partnumber....?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #4229
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Ok, thank you guys

So I am gonna get me:

SER401470 Alu driveshaft
SER401533 Nylon spool
SER401429 Trackrod alu
SER401430 Camberlink alu (2 sets..?)

What about the seventh one?
Partnumber?

And then the Asso screwset? Partnumber....?
My standard 411TE weighs 1350 with just some alu. screws, the rest stock. Savox LP servo, HW120A, KO rx, IP5800 mah, SP-motor, LW body. I donīt think I could tell the difference between 1390g or 1350g on the track...
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #4230
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Ok, thank you guys

So I am gonna get me:

SER401470 Alu driveshaft
SER401533 Nylon spool
SER401429 Trackrod alu
SER401430 Camberlink alu (2 sets..?)

What about the seventh one?
Partnumber?

And then the Asso screwset? Partnumber....?
The aluminum screw set for the TC6 will give you a lot. The TC3/4 sets are standard and won't work. Tower also sells "packs" of aluminum screws (10?) in a variety of sizes. I bought 3x6/3x8 countersunk for chassis pieces, 3x6 buttonhead for the upper deck and other parts, and an assortment of the cap head screws that use a larger hex for rhe bulkheads.

If you can wait till this afternoon I'll link you to each type (PITA to do on my phone).
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:38 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0