R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #4036
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Is anyone else having troubles with the CVD pins coming loose ? I had nothing but trouble on the weekend with mine , every run I had to clean reset the pin and tighten them again, both front and rear , I also broke three of them as well . I'm running modified with a 4.5 t boosted and the track is bumpy technical asphalt with medium grip . The track is known for breaking CVD's as I used to chew up X Ray ECS shaft pins like they were goIng out of fashion . I also built new shafts using all new parts and still had a problem. Other than that the car was awesome just the driver let it down
Fraser Coast RC Car Club/FCRCCC :President
Yokomo - Futaba - LRP - Paint Made Special - Muchmore
thachowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #4037
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thachowman View Post
Is anyone else having troubles with the CVD pins coming loose ? I had nothing but trouble on the weekend with mine , every run I had to clean reset the pin and tighten them again, both front and rear , I also broke three of them as well . I'm running modified with a 4.5 t boosted and the track is bumpy technical asphalt with medium grip . The track is known for breaking CVD's as I used to chew up X Ray ECS shaft pins like they were goIng out of fashion . I also built new shafts using all new parts and still had a problem. Other than that the car was awesome just the driver let it down
Did you use lictite on the screw? That helps but you should clean the shafts first as the grees or oil prevents the loctite to work. So clean the shafts then loctite the screw and then oil or grees the shaft.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #4038
Tech Regular

Quote:
Use this:
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...n-8pcs-p-24719
Old 08-21-2012, 01:50 AM   #4039
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Correct - or flatspot the Serpent pins with a Dremel. Takes about 5 minutes for all four pins. That is what I have done, and since I never had any issues.
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #4040
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Is anyone else having troubles with the CVD pins coming loose ? I had nothing but trouble on the weekend with mine
Flat spot pins are a must but You can use these pin locators from TOP if you have the standard drive shafts.

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...d-4pcs-p-19026

They do a titanium version if you can find them in stock anywhere. There is also a 3racing version of the same as well. I dont even use grub screws on my shafts anymore and cleaning and relube after a meet is easy.

On another note i put the 1.6 sway bars on the car over the weekend and using the 1.8 inserts could not get the bars free and they would bind up. I shimmed them up at the time and will try and get them working with the 1.6 inserts when i rebuild this week to see if this works but Has anyone else experienced this? I did not have this issue with the 1.4 bars at all. It was frustrating at the time but the set up change was well worth it. We have our state titles coming up this weekend and if i can drive it under the pressure i think ill do alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie d View Post
This is one cool car .
Seconded

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #4041
Tech Regular

My rear hub broke in half when I was driving on the straight. I think the pin hit the hub in full speed and shattered the hub. So assuring that the pin is well secured is very important, especially when you´re driving modified.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #4042
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks guys , I'll try grinding a flat as I have a heap of spare pins, I would have done it on the weekend but didn't have a dremel with me. I did loctite the grub screws and cleaned thoroughly beforehand, and left it to dry as well , and the grub screw was still tight in the insert, just the pins worked their way out. I also shattered a rear hub as a result of the pin comming free, so I'm also going to try heat shrinking the cvd as well .
Fraser Coast RC Car Club/FCRCCC :President
Yokomo - Futaba - LRP - Paint Made Special - Muchmore
thachowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #4043
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'm running a 1.5 swaybar in the 1.6 inserts and it moves freely. I tried a 1.6 in the same inserts and it would barely bind.... It worked fine in the 1.8 inserts, so perhaps you just need to lightly sand yours to open them up a hair? The swaybar setup on this car works find but it could be a bit more simple IMO.

The pins in the axles are 10mm I believe.... I kept having issues with them popping out of the stub axle as the couplings wore. I bought the 2x12mm pins and Dremel'd them down to just under 11mm so they barely stick out of the stub axle but not far enough to rub on the knuckle...... I haven't had one malfunction yet! I only occassionally retighten the screw and add grease.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #4044
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

These are great.. Serpent needs to come out with a captured pin cvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Flat spot pins are a must but You can use these pin locators from TOP if you have the standard drive shafts.

They do a titanium version if you can find them in stock anywhere. There is also a 3racing version of the same as well. I dont even use grub screws on my shafts anymore and cleaning and relube after a meet is easy.

Seconded
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #4045
Tech Adept

The team durango 2x10mm drive pins with a flat spot are a direct fit( sorry, don't have the part#)
Also a drop of ca on the outside of the heat shrink will help to harden it, for extra security, just apply carefully.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #4046
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
I did once , I put locktite on the screw then I used a shrink wrap around it. Never had any issues again
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #4047
Tech Elite

Will Serpent come out with the floating steering servo system like the current trend of top brands car?
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #4048
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Will Serpent come out with the floating steering servo system like the current trend of top brands car?
And what's up with the split mounts for the A-arms?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #4049
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
They don't need to, the servo already floats, just make sure it's not sitting on the chassis. I just put a piece of double stick tape under it, but leave the backing on. Chassis flex seems equal.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #4050
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

This is what I use they are awesome. not even a need for set screws.

"Let's See, Open it up" -Chris Goetz
98tahoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote