R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #4006
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my S411te. Going into the corner the car understeers and out of the corner oversteers. My set-up is in the limits what most of the guys are running but as I see some good results with the V2 motor mount By the way I'm using Ride 32 ETS tires, Ride Red front, Ride Blue rear and LTC-R Light body, gear diff 1000cst/two gears but I have the feeling that it's too stiff anyway?? The X-rings seem to bind to hard! Has someone tries an O-ring on the diff? For me the logical thing is that the gear diff is too hard and of power into the corner the car won't turn as a result of the diff resistance. Out of the corner on throttle again the diff is to hard and the car oversteers badly.

Any thoughts or suggestions at what to look first

Thanks!
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #4007
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my S411te. Going into the corner the car understeers and out of the corner oversteers. My set-up is in the limits what most of the guys are running but as I see some good results with the V2 motor mount By the way I'm using Ride 32 ETS tires, Ride Red front, Ride Blue rear and LTC-R Light body, gear diff 1000cst/two gears but I have the feeling that it's too stiff anyway?? The X-rings seem to bind to hard! Has someone tries an O-ring on the diff? For me the logical thing is that the gear diff is too hard and of power into the corner the car won't turn as a result of the diff resistance. Out of the corner on throttle again the diff is to hard and the car oversteers badly.

Any thoughts or suggestions at what to look first

Thanks!
I noted a huge difference by just removing the top screw that goes into the motormount. But it took me just two runs to start stripping spur gears with 64p. So I will try the V2 mount.
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:06 AM   #4008
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
I noted a huge difference by just removing the top screw that goes into the motormount. But it took me just two runs to start stripping spur gears with 64p. So I will try the V2 mount.
I'm using V1 mount and running mod. No top screw and no problems with 48p gears.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #4009
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
I think he drove very cautious with a lot of roll through the corners thus not overheating the tires. Bring back Sorex 36 and 5 minutes heats and I think more people will attend modified. Now its pretty meaningless.

Back to the car. Even with the Sorex 36 I experienced it loose on-power with V1 mount. Going down on diff oil will reduce this? Now Im using 2000/2 gears.
Certainly try 1500wt in the 2gear, I'm finding it working very well, especially in cooler temperatures.

HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #4010
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,127
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

But 64pitch can't
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #4011
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
I think he drove very cautious with a lot of roll through the corners thus not overheating the tires. Bring back Sorex 36 and 5 minutes heats and I think more people will attend modified. Now its pretty meaningless.

Back to the car. Even with the Sorex 36 I experienced it loose on-power with V1 mount. Going down on diff oil will reduce this? Now Im using 2000/2 gears.
A big yes to the oil. We drove 800 cst with 4 plastic gears. With 2 gears I would suggest 1000 - not higher - maybe even thinner. At the WC in Heemstede we used 1000/4 gear, and the grip was higher even without additive. With 1500/4gear at the WC, the car was tricky on the rear - exactly as you write. I also saw, that you used 1,4 mm anti roll bar. We used 1,2 mm.

Regarding tires. You are so correct - Sorex36 and 5 minutes are what we want. You should have seen Morten and Rasmus, as they drove the two batteries after the race. They had both a huge smile in their faces. We have made an agreement within the drivers for the last race: either we are allowed to drive another brand of tire or we will not attend the race. By the way, the last race is in Vejle.
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #4012
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my S411te. Going into the corner the car understeers and out of the corner oversteers. My set-up is in the limits what most of the guys are running but as I see some good results with the V2 motor mount By the way I'm using Ride 32 ETS tires, Ride Red front, Ride Blue rear and LTC-R Light body, gear diff 1000cst/two gears but I have the feeling that it's too stiff anyway?? The X-rings seem to bind to hard! Has someone tries an O-ring on the diff? For me the logical thing is that the gear diff is too hard and of power into the corner the car won't turn as a result of the diff resistance. Out of the corner on throttle again the diff is to hard and the car oversteers badly.

Any thoughts or suggestions at what to look first

Thanks!
Hi.

I have noticed the same on our 411TE. The diff felt the same using 2000 or 1000 oil in it. Then we bought an extra diff, which we got at the WC in Heemstede, and it was much smoother, than the old one. At the time the 411TE came on the market, there was a problem with the diff. Serpent made some modifications to the diff house and the outdrives. Maybe yours are not done well. I think, the seat, where the x-ring fits, is not deep enough, and when you screw the large gear on, the extra pressure from the gear on the x-ring, let the x-ring expand and you have a binding gear diff.

I made a complaint to Serpent about it at the WC, and we got an extra new diff house to test, if our problem is the diff house. I have not built the diff together yet, but I will let you know, if the new diff house is better.

You can also cut the x-ring on the out side. I have heard, some had don it. This will reduce the pressure on the outdrive, but this can also let your diff leak. Beware how much you cut. You must also sand your gears to get a little less internal pressure on the gears.

From Xceed you can buy an internal gear revision set for the diff. I don't have the part number right now, but it is the set without the outdrives. Use only the 2 aluminium pins and the 4 small gears. The two large gears and the bearings from the set you don't use. Use the standard large gears. This diff works very smooth and you can feel the difference even between 800 and 1000 cst.

I have also seen some Serpent with an Xray gear diff built in. The Xray diff works extremely nice and smooth, but I don't know anything about durability, and you have to run another rear axles, as the Serpent axles don't fit the Xray diff.
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #4013
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

I have noticed the same on our 411TE. The diff felt the same using 2000 or 1000 oil in it. Then we bought an extra diff, which we got at the WC in Heemstede, and it was much smoother, than the old one. At the time the 411TE came on the market, there was a problem with the diff. Serpent made some modifications to the diff house and the outdrives. Maybe yours are not done well. I think, the seat, where the x-ring fits, is not deep enough, and when you screw the large gear on, the extra pressure from the gear on the x-ring, let the x-ring expand and you have a binding gear diff.

I made a complaint to Serpent about it at the WC, and we got an extra new diff house to test, if our problem is the diff house. I have not built the diff together yet, but I will let you know, if the new diff house is better.

You can also cut the x-ring on the out side. I have heard, some had don it. This will reduce the pressure on the outdrive, but this can also let your diff leak. Beware how much you cut. You must also sand your gears to get a little less internal pressure on the gears.

From Xceed you can buy an internal gear revision set for the diff. I don't have the part number right now, but it is the set without the outdrives. Use only the 2 aluminium pins and the 4 small gears. The two large gears and the bearings from the set you don't use. Use the standard large gears. This diff works very smooth and you can feel the difference even between 800 and 1000 cst.

I have also seen some Serpent with an Xray gear diff built in. The Xray diff works extremely nice and smooth, but I don't know anything about durability, and you have to run another rear axles, as the Serpent axles don't fit the Xray diff.
Thanks for the reply!

You mean this gears from Xceed: http://www.xceedrc.com/product/108249
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #4014
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default



Ready for the season
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #4015
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Thanks for the reply!

You mean this gears from Xceed: http://www.xceedrc.com/product/108249
Correct
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #4016
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Hey,

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my S411te. Going into the corner the car understeers and out of the corner oversteers. My set-up is in the limits what most of the guys are running but as I see some good results with the V2 motor mount By the way I'm using Ride 32 ETS tires, Ride Red front, Ride Blue rear and LTC-R Light body, gear diff 1000cst/two gears but I have the feeling that it's too stiff anyway?? The X-rings seem to bind to hard! Has someone tries an O-ring on the diff? For me the logical thing is that the gear diff is too hard and of power into the corner the car won't turn as a result of the diff resistance. Out of the corner on throttle again the diff is to hard and the car oversteers badly.

Any thoughts or suggestions at what to look first

Thanks!
Anytime mine has a push/loose issue like you described it was because the sprigs were too stiff. I was running 1000cst in the rear diff and it was doing as you said..... I softened all 4 springs and it was a huge fix. I actually ended up at 1500cst after that. I don't know what the Ride springs are, but I had great results trying XRAY 2.6 front/XRAY 2.2-2.6 progressives rear.
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #4017
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Anytime mine has a push/loose issue like you described it was because the sprigs were too stiff. I was running 1000cst in the rear diff and it was doing as you said..... I softened all 4 springs and it was a huge fix. I actually ended up at 1500cst after that. I don't know what the Ride springs are, but I had great results trying XRAY 2.6 front/XRAY 2.2-2.6 progressives rear.
Now as you mention it I saw some Serpent drivers using Xray springs and they didn't seam to have this problem. I will pay more attention to the diff and springs on my next run.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #4018
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Anytime mine has a push/loose issue like you described it was because the sprigs were too stiff. I was running 1000cst in the rear diff and it was doing as you said..... I softened all 4 springs and it was a huge fix. I actually ended up at 1500cst after that. I don't know what the Ride springs are, but I had great results trying XRAY 2.6 front/XRAY 2.2-2.6 progressives rear.
Ride red is 16.9, blue is 16.1. They feel a bit stiffer than the xray springs you mention. I've only had success with the red/blue when grip is high, even then the car is s bit free, but very quick, and good on tires.

Cwoods- good to see more serpents at the top at leisure. It's just been me vs a sea of xrays all summer.
__________________
Serpent America l Picco l Desoto Racing l Leisure Hours Hobbies & Raceway
RC Addiction Products l Nitropro Fuel
jsorwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #4019
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

That puts you in the Black/Yellow/Grey range for Serpent springs. I have been starting @ Black/Yellow combo as a starting point for new tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Anytime mine has a push/loose issue like you described it was because the sprigs were too stiff. I was running 1000cst in the rear diff and it was doing as you said..... I softened all 4 springs and it was a huge fix. I actually ended up at 1500cst after that. I don't know what the Ride springs are, but I had great results trying XRAY 2.6 front/XRAY 2.2-2.6 progressives rear.
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #4020
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsorwell View Post
Ride red is 16.9, blue is 16.1. They feel a bit stiffer than the xray springs you mention. I've only had success with the red/blue when grip is high, even then the car is s bit free, but very quick, and good on tires.

Cwoods- good to see more serpents at the top at leisure. It's just been me vs a sea of xrays all summer.
I tried greys all around once last week, and it wasn't too bad.... The cars pretty close to what I like on carpet.

Besides the last 2 race days at Leisure, the Snake has been sitting on my desk for 2-3 months, so I'm still knockin the rust off both driver and car
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0