R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #3991
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

Yesterday it was the tires and the heat - not the car. Solaris on especially the Glostrup track, which has a low to middle grip, in warm and sunny weather is a bad choice. Morten and Rasmus drove after the race yesterday two batteries extra with exactly the same set up - just on either Sorex 36 with red inserts (WC tires) and Ride 32. The cars were totally different. They were planted on the track and they could drive different lines, and they could push the car in and out of the corners. Especially the Ride 32 worked extremely well. The lap times were about 0,5 to 1,0 second better per lap than with the Solaris tires, but the best was the feeling of the car. By the way - the motor temperature got nearly 20 degr C higher - a very good indicate, that the grip was far better. And just for notice - then the Serpent was better than the Awesomatix.
Yes, the Solaris are really really bad choice on unprepped tracks. I think I still will try the V2 motormount as an tuning option. Even with bad tires I feel that the car has good potential and looking forward to do some more testing! Thanks for the set screw, Ive ordered some TOP pins to take care of the problem.
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #3992
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,967
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
And just for notice - then the Serpent was better than the Awesomatix.
My car is super dialed at the moment and i had the local awesomatix guy(previous serpent owner) drive my car and he commented on how planted the car is with the amount of steering i have dialed in. I love this car.
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #3993
Tech Apprentice
 
azz187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 80
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SPEC R SWING SHAFTS FOR S411

Hi guys,
Does anyone know which of the Spec R version 2 CV uni's fit the serpent?

Cheers.
azz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #3994
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Pretty sure I can get onto 16lap pace once I've got the car sorted, and stop driving like a numpty!

Cheers
Ed
Can you define "numpty" ? are there different levels of numptiness ?


Thanks in advance !

__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #3995
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 559
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Going to pick up one of these cars, S411 TE.

The local class is 13.5 blinky on carpet.

What should I get extra, or can anyone point me to one of the carpet setups.

I skimmed most of this thread only thing I have a hard time with is mixing outdoor setups with indoor.

Thanks for all your guys help and info(and getting me up to speed)
Jeff
__________________
Desoto Racing, Serpent America, Novarossi, KoPropo, Xceed.
2011, 2013, 2 Time Midwest Series 1/8th Open, Champion
2011 Byrons onroad 1/8th Open 3rd
2011 Roar Nats 1/8th Open, 5th
2012 GLC 1/8th Open Q7 Finish 5th, 2013 GLC 1/8th Open Q4 Finish 7th
Vector03cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #3996
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz187 View Post
Hi guys,
Does anyone know which of the Spec R version 2 CV uni's fit the serpent?

Cheers.
Hi.

Why will you use Spec R DJC axles? Why not the Serpent ones?

The DJC's from Serpent are excellent. We are still using the first set. Now driven for almost one year. Still the same pins and everything. Just normal maintenance. Cleaning with brake cleaner and then new grease. That's it.

And by the way: we are driving modified - indoor and outdoor.
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #3997
Tech Regular
 
rcwck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

Yesterday it was the tires and the heat - not the car. Solaris on especially the Glostrup track, which has a low to middle grip, in warm and sunny weather is a bad choice. Morten and Rasmus drove after the race yesterday two batteries extra with exactly the same set up - just on either Sorex 36 with red inserts (WC tires) and Ride 32. The cars were totally different. They were planted on the track and they could drive different lines, and they could push the car in and out of the corners. Especially the Ride 32 worked extremely well. The lap times were about 0,5 to 1,0 second better per lap than with the Solaris tires, but the best was the feeling of the car. By the way - the motor temperature got nearly 20 degr C higher - a very good indicate, that the grip was far better. And just for notice - then the Serpent was better than the Awesomatix.
Tires are always the first consideration in racing unless eveyone is on a spec tire, then it is the sauce and body. Pages and pages about camber link lengths and angles are very little help if the tires are way off. I think these forums should spend more time on tires, dope, bodies, diffs, track surfaces, temps, motor turns and esc settings. I think this the important stuff. I own 4 different sedans from the major manufacturers. The recommended settings during construction are all pretty close and don't very much from the suggestions on these forums. I can't seem to feel what difference a lot of these chassis adjustment make on the track as long as something isn't way off. Most seem to do very little. It might just be me, but most local drivers agree.

I thought I was pretty quick at the home track til a driver showed up with Solaris tires using SXT. He was a whole second faster per lap. We never used those tires around here. Now we got em. I'm a second faster on the Solaris tires. Just an example of how important the correct tire/dope can be.


Our track is on med traction(no prep)asphalt with temps ~130F. I run 3.5T(no boost) mod sedan on a pretty large track. 230' straight and lap times 22-25 seconds. I run torque limiting on the esc. This takes away low end punch and still keeps a good straight speed. Makes the mod sedan more manageable. You can dial up more punch if needed. Turning down the throttle end point on the Tx has a similar affect. Mazda Speed6 and Blitz bodies seem to have the most down force.
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #3998
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
My car is super dialed at the moment and i had the local awesomatix guy(previous serpent owner) drive my car and he commented on how planted the car is with the amount of steering i have dialed in. I love this car.
Hi.

We also love the Serpent, and we would also not exchange the car for an Awesomatix. I wrote as I did, because we had a race last weekend on a track with very low grip and with almost useless tires. The guy with the Awesomatix was the fastest. He had a special active toe in built in in his car. On the straight he had less toe in than in the corner. I think it helped the car and especially the tires, that the rear tires stayed cooler. How he did it, don't ask me.
__________________
Sponsor: Team Serpent, 2-Speed RC, ToniSport, Allans Koereskole
Modified: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0, LRP Flow, LRP X20 4,5 T, Sanwa M11X
Superstock: Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0. LRP Flow, LRP X20 13,5 T, Hitec Lynx 4S
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #3999
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 25,177
Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

We also love the Serpent, and we would also not exchange the car for an Awesomatix. I wrote as I did, because we had a race last weekend on a track with very low grip and with almost useless tires. The guy with the Awesomatix was the fastest. He had a special active toe in built in in his car. On the straight he had less toe in than in the corner. I think it helped the car and especially the tires, that the rear tires stayed cooler. How he did it, don't ask me.
i remember back in the day Serpent had something similar in their 710 nitro car , which allowed less toe in the straight line then once off the throttle the toe came back.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #4000
Tech Regular
 
rcwck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
Going to pick up one of these cars, S411 TE.

The local class is 13.5 blinky on carpet.

What should I get extra, or can anyone point me to one of the carpet setups.

I skimmed most of this thread only thing I have a hard time with is mixing outdoor setups with indoor.

Thanks for all your guys help and info(and getting me up to speed)
Jeff
Just the usual breakable suspension parts same as 1/8th scale. The DJC front drives for your 1/18 scale track layouts. Rubber tires, inserts and wheels. Tekin stickers to hide stuff. Here we go again. Lol
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #4001
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Well, I tried the car out with the V2 mount / V1 centre piece last night, and only using the front most (the central one) to mount to the top deck... and honestly, I didn't like it. Car felt very loose all night, especially mid-to-exit.
Interesting, as you say perhaps it went far to soft for your track conditions causing other handling issues on the side. Still its another tuning option that may work somewhere some time. I recall doing testing of V1 VS V2 mount and found that V2 felt like it made the car have a slight torque steer issue, now I run the V2 almost always and suspect that the weird feel could have been the gear diff more than the motor mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector03cobra View Post
Going to pick up one of these cars, S411 TE.

The local class is 13.5 blinky on carpet.

What should I get extra, or can anyone point me to one of the carpet setups.

I skimmed most of this thread only thing I have a hard time with is mixing outdoor setups with indoor.

Thanks for all your guys help and info(and getting me up to speed)
Jeff
At a minimum, if you run on carpet, get the hard arms. You could opt for the whole hard option parts but the arms have the greatest impact on the car. The 2.50 top deck is really nice (followed by the 2.50 chassis, I have modified my stock 2.50 to same widths as all the newer chassis). The V2 motor mount is a good option as well. You'll probably need some .5mm lower shims for lower rc adjustment. Also a selection of shock oils and diff oils. The rest of the kit is pretty solid. Check the Petit RC site for setups, quite a few carpet ones on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

We also love the Serpent, and we would also not exchange the car for an Awesomatix. I wrote as I did, because we had a race last weekend on a track with very low grip and with almost useless tires. The guy with the Awesomatix was the fastest. He had a special active toe in built in in his car. On the straight he had less toe in than in the corner. I think it helped the car and especially the tires, that the rear tires stayed cooler. How he did it, don't ask me.
Nice to here, twice the car for half the price.. The active rear toe is something I looked at a while back on the 411, I think it could be done without a lot of work, but not sure if it would be worth it, maybe more of a asphalt big track thing, where on our short carpet tracks the short straight may not really be worth the effort.


I would agree, its hard to give good solid setup help when your not actually there to see what the track is doing and how it effects the car. Even for myself, sometimes what others observe, isn't what the driver is feeling or seeing, so all you can do is give general ideas, but never take it as rock solid advice, and be prepared to change your setup. Ultimately you have to drive the car, and if it feels good to you that is what counts, no matter what the setup book and the experts say. Most times what information that is given is what worked for them in that situation, even Martin Crisps setup book last sentence says you're setup may differ from what is suggested.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #4002
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
Tires are always the first consideration in racing unless eveyone is on a spec tire, then it is the sauce and body. Pages and pages about camber link lengths and angles are very little help if the tires are way off. I think these forums should spend more time on tires, dope, bodies, diffs, track surfaces, temps, motor turns and esc settings. I think this the important stuff. I own 4 different sedans from the major manufacturers. The recommended settings during construction are all pretty close and don't very much from the suggestions on these forums. I can't seem to feel what difference a lot of these chassis adjustment make on the track as long as something isn't way off. Most seem to do very little. It might just be me, but most local drivers agree.

If they are from 4 of the major manufacturers chances are that they also share very close to equal chassis geometry. The guys that are really good at setups are the ones that can feel that .5mm change in the upper camber link and can get that last 1/100th of a second out of their cars, they also know what each of those changes do and what to expect out of their car when they make those changes. They aren't like the majority of us that do a change and then hit the track and go WOW I wasn't expecting the car to do that! LOL
Oleg (awesomatic) once posted that for him to figure out how to get a starting point for his cars dampeners, he actually had pics of the 417 and the BD5 with as close to obtainable setup sheets, from there and a great deal of math and geometry he was able to calculate what the dampening and spring pressures should be. Crazy "Good Will Hunting" stuff here.


I thought I was pretty quick at the home track til a driver showed up with Solaris tires using SXT. He was a whole second faster per lap. We never used those tires around here. Now we got em. I'm a second faster on the Solaris tires. Just an example of how important the correct tire/dope can be.

SXT is a very good additive, I think all our club runs it except for myself. I have been running Sticky Fingers/Jack to try to get a better setup for it as well as thats what they will run at the IIC, so its always a tuning thing, even for the tire dope.
This is definitely the place for all of us to share any of the things that we may stumble on that could help us to get better, faster, quicker, so please share.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #4003
Tech Apprentice
 
azz187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 80
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

Why will you use Spec R DJC axles? Why not the Serpent ones?

The DJC's from Serpent are excellent. We are still using the first set. Now driven for almost one year. Still the same pins and everything. Just normal maintenance. Cleaning with brake cleaner and then new grease. That's it.

And by the way: we are driving modified - indoor and outdoor.
The serpent DJC's are twice the price of the spec r, plus I think I read some negative feed back on them when they first came out..
Anyway thanks for the reply BCDK
azz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #4004
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz187 View Post
The serpent DJC's are twice the price of the spec r, plus I think I read some negative feed back on them when they first came out..
Anyway thanks for the reply BCDK
Just going thru the Spec R site, remember if you're going to use them that you'll have to get different inner bearings or adapters with smaller id bearings, since the stock 411 uses a stepped output axle.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #4005
Tech Regular
 
Holmenkollen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

We also love the Serpent, and we would also not exchange the car for an Awesomatix. I wrote as I did, because we had a race last weekend on a track with very low grip and with almost useless tires. The guy with the Awesomatix was the fastest. He had a special active toe in built in in his car. On the straight he had less toe in than in the corner. I think it helped the car and especially the tires, that the rear tires stayed cooler. How he did it, don't ask me.
I think he drove very cautious with a lot of roll through the corners thus not overheating the tires. Bring back Sorex 36 and 5 minutes heats and I think more people will attend modified. Now its pretty meaningless.

Back to the car. Even with the Sorex 36 I experienced it loose on-power with V1 mount. Going down on diff oil will reduce this? Now Im using 2000/2 gears.
__________________
Serpent - Hobbywing - Graupner
Holmenkollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0