Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #3961
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

Nice - you will not be disappointed. S411 is a lovely car. Look forward to the race in Glostrup. We will start with the setup from the WC - maybe change the suspension block in the rear to 2,5 or 3,0. We will see how it work. You can find the setup on the Serpent site. It worked great in Heemstede.

A 64 dp chart for modified you can find either here some pages back or on the Serpent Forum site under S411 pages 4.
Yes 411 is very nice , i have been out of racing for over 9 months and after a couple of packs or practice i was back on pace
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #3962
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

www.gearchart.com

Make a chart for your most commonly used ranges. I have been running 13.5 blinky recently... so I created one for that.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #3963
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Sure - I could do it, but I will not search for the rates. If you give me them, I will fill them into my chart.

You could also send me a PM with your e-mail address, and then I will send you the Excel file. You can then fill in the rates, you want.
D'OH forgot to post the link

http://www.jaro-racing.nl/downloads/spring%20chart.pdf
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #3964
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityboy View Post

48 or 64 dp? Spur gear sizes? Pinions from ? to ?
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #3965
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Quote:
For mod I'm going to be using a 80t - 81t spur 48pitch
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #3966
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Umm, I may be wrong, but with any gear chart, numbers are numbers, does not matter the pitch.

88x35 = 4.97 in any pitch.

Quote:
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #3967
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So after my first few meetings with the S411TE, I thought it time to post up some thoughts on the car, in terms of on track, and working on etc.

First up, the biggest thing, handling... So far I've been very impressed with the car, especially the amount of steering it has. Now, I won't say that it's been perfect, and it has been tricky to drive on occasion. However, it's generally been fast, and has always responded well to changes, and can see them both in terms of laptime and feel. Even after just three meets, I feel I'm at a point where I'm very happy with the base settings now, and will be taking them wherever I go, and doing fine tuning as needed... no massive sweeping changes to stay on top of track and conditions like previous...

In terms of durability, I've been even more impressed. So far, I've only been running mod, with 4.5t + boost, and the list of broken parts is as follows; One rear belt, one set of driveshaft blades, and... nothing else! Given I'm also still running the plastic centre pullies (which are holding up pretty good having had a detailed look last night), I am very pleased. Everything now feels nicely bedded in and free to boot.

Negatives? Well, they are few and far between. I guess my biggest grudge is the position of the screws that hold the upper bulkhead caps in place... in that they won't fully come out without hitting the shock tower screws. Not a massive issue, but that's the only real issue I have (countersinking the shock towers would solve that!)... oh that and the shocks, but solved those issues happily

Looking forward to running the car some more, very happy with my choice

Cheers
Ed
Old 08-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #3968
Tech Regular

Started building my LE yesterday and Im impressed by the quality. Everything goes together really well and well designed solutions. Only "problem" is one of the steering arms hit the lipo plastic holder in full lock. Also the gear diff feels a little notchy but I think it will settle in after a run or two.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #3969
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When I was interested in purchasing my first touring car I wanted the S400, now that they have come out with this car and I'm definitely very keen on it.

Is there north American parts support. Will I be able to find a dealer in Canada. I'm tired of have to order parts from Japan and hope they arrive at the last moment. Have the issues that killed the Serpents previous touring car been resolved? If I'm looking at purchasing one for the 2013-14 carpet season am I going to be able to find one next year? Is Serpent into Touring Car for the long haul? or is this just something they're trying out?
scribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #3970
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Only "problem" is one of the steering arms hit the lipo plastic holder in full lock.
I had the same "problem". Solved it by placing 2 lower bushes (1mm instead of 3mm) under the lipo holder.
On the ohter hand, while riding the the car, it turned out that it has lots of steer, so you don't need the maxium travel of the steering arms...
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #3971
Tech Regular

Should I use the top deck screw into the motormount? Have read something about stripping spur gears if you dont.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #3972
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 driver View Post
I had the same "problem". Solved it by placing 2 lower bushes (1mm instead of 3mm) under the lipo holder.
On the ohter hand, while riding the the car, it turned out that it has lots of steer, so you don't need the maxium travel of the steering arms...
i am normally around the 74-78 % Dual rate, always set end points so nothing binds, then turn down dual rate till you have just enough steering, then go one more click on the dual rate.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:02 AM   #3973
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't use the LiPo holders, just the plastic tape parts, as I really don't like the carbon hooks. This drops the plastic parts to the deck, below the steering. I haven't had any issues with batteries ejecting without them, either on this car or previous ones.

As for the motor mount, I've been using pretty much only the V2 one-piece, so can't comment on stripping gears with the kit mount... however, I have some ideas in mind to test out next time out that'll involve a bit of mucking around with motor mounts

HiH
Ed
Old 08-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #3974
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I don't use the LiPo holders, just the plastic tape parts, as I really don't like the carbon hooks. This drops the plastic parts to the deck, below the steering. I haven't had any issues with batteries ejecting without them, either on this car or previous ones.

As for the motor mount, I've been using pretty much only the V2 one-piece, so can't comment on stripping gears with the kit mount... however, I have some ideas in mind to test out next time out that'll involve a bit of mucking around with motor mounts

HiH
Ed
Great tip!
Ive read that some people are using a set screw instead so the top deck can flex a little bit more.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #3975
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
Great tip!
Ive read that some people are using a set screw instead so the top deck can flex a little bit more.
Use a long thread-locked setscrew, then put an o-ring on the upper deck and tighten a nut onto the setscrew until it just begins to put pressure on the o-ring. This will prevent spur stripping while allowing flex.... And you can always remove the o-ring and fully tighten the nut if you wish to remove flex.