Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Nice driving....very jealous you get to run on a track like that...we have nothing like that in Canada.
You can come over to Belgium Martin
If u can come to my place , we have 3 tracks in 20 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWaQQ5yJxo (thats not me driving)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toGQSGDZkEM

Back on topic , is this possible that the loose rear end by off trottle is because of the front rear bracket was changed to 2.0 ?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by samhun
Hey guys, I just bought a pair of new serpent 0 degree alu upright. After installed it, it gave me a 4degree on left and 2degree on right. I tot the Alu upright should have a better precision than the plastic type cause it is made by cnc. When I put back the plastic upright and it all goes fine with 3degree each side. So I took a very close look on the alu upright and notice the both pin hole are not precise. Anyone here tried the new alu upright yet? The factory defects really turn big my head
I have had the issue with the plastic ones. Kit uprights on my LE were really tight on the arm and binded. One side was 3deg the other was 2.5. Changed to harder arms and medium uprights and the fit was perfect no binding but rear toe was still off. I just ordered some aluminum uprights because it help get me an even 3 deg on other cars i've had. So will see when I get them if it solves the issue.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Hi

Yeah...I drove for Tamiya for about 10 years, and then TOP sponsored me for about a year (thanks to EJ). I then decided to go independent for about a year where I drove the XRAY. Then an opportunity came up to drive for Serpent about 6 months ago. I love my Serpent cars. Don't get me wrong, the Tamiya's, Tops and XRAYS are all good cars, but I am really loving my serpent. Initially when I switched from my XRAY to serpent, I wondered if I had made a mistake as my serpent was not feeling very consistent at the snowbirds race as I would have liked - i.e. it wondered. But I figured some things out about the Serpent since then that have removed any second guessing from my mind. It was two simple things I changed on the car. The first was to use the hard arms, and the second was to use servo tape under the servo in addition to the normal method of connecting the servo to the chassis. These two things got rid of the inconsistent feeling. The car has proven to be very strong as wel, which given it's relatively low cost kit and parts...I think this is an excellent combination. Most importantly however I really like the fact that Serpent continues to ask it's drivers for feedback and then make product adjustments accordingly. They have taken driver feedback and provided good improvements quickly.
Hi Martin,

I already use the hard arms with the medium rear upright because the hard ones are just s#%t to much play....

I am wondering why you still use the original servo bracketry and double sided tape ?

My self i use just tape and removed all the excess weight etc of the bracketry i also done this as i was concerned that the taping of the servo then using the brackets negates what i was trying to achieve which is more flex ......

Thanks,
Michael
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
Hi Martin,

I already use the hard arms with the medium rear upright because the hard ones are just s#%t to much play....

I am wondering why you still use the original servo bracketry and double sided tape ?

My self i use just tape and removed all the excess weight etc of the bracketry i also done this as i was concerned that the taping of the servo then using the brackets negates what i was trying to achieve which is more flex ......

Thanks,
Michael
I dont have excess wait problem anymore lol
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jono1982
I dont have excess wait problem anymore lol
No you only now have issues with local support
Old 04-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
Back on topic , is this possible that the loose rear end by off trottle is because of the front rear bracket was changed to 2.0 ?
No.

l
Because Serpent are about the only ones that did the servo mount correct, well secured and doesn't drag when the car is rolling in the corners, front flex is not one of the weak points of the car.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default spur gear fitment...

I've searched this thread regarding spur gears that work.

Is there any reason Kimbrough with the standard three hole mount shouldn't work?

I'm running 17.5 blinky and some low count 48P Kimbrough's would be perfect if they fit. Or even Robinson's with inboard hole big enough so you can get at the motor screws.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have used Kimbrough on the car, Some people would ream a hole in the gear, but I just get the mesh lined up with the tightening the front motor screw, remove the spur gear holder.. and tighten the rear screw... then put it all back togther... it works fine when you have gearing set, but if your changing pinions, it can be a real hassle.

Originally Posted by celt
I've searched this thread regarding spur gears that work.

Is there any reason Kimbrough with the standard three hole mount shouldn't work?

I'm running 17.5 blinky and some low count 48P Kimbrough's would be perfect if they fit. Or even Robinson's with inboard hole big enough so you can get at the motor screws.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I am selling my car and my wifes car. Both car are low use and comes with plenty of spares and hop ups.

Thanks,
DC
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Martin,

Thanks,
Michael
Wanna go that way also. I mean tape and the bracketry, like Martin does.
That means that you glue the servo to the chassisplate and use the bracketry?
Any problems with wanting to wobble the servo a bit before screwing it on. I mean because it sticks to the chassisplate immediately?
Double sided tape that is used for the ESC can also be used for the servo?

Starting to built my 411TE in a few days. Sold all of my old stuff and starting all over again.
Any suggestions as to what brand of pinions best to use for this car? Must be purchased in Europe.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by smitty2802
I am selling my car and my wifes car. Both car are low use and comes with plenty of spares and hop ups.

Thanks,
DC
Ever thought of selling your wife and keeping the cars?
Worked like a charme for me.
Got my life back finally.
Nothing better in life than to not have to consider the old ball and chain.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default lol

thats a good one.

anyone have a s400 they wanna sell me. roller only and maybe any parts you have. we made a gtp (super barschetta) class and my 411 is too "flexy" for foam. it works ok. but i nead a foam chassis setup.

it is a super fun class. smoking the 1/12th scales laptimes is a blast. and they look just like a beefed up 1/12th scale.

this is our local track: 3 of us so far in the class. sorry about the video. i recorded and a friend drove my car.

click on the picture and it will take you to the video. use full screen for better view.

Originally Posted by Kensei
Ever thought of selling your wife and keeping the cars?
Worked like a charme for me.
Got my life back finally.
Nothing better in life than to not have to consider the old ball and chain.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kevin E.
You can come over to Belgium Martin
If u can come to my place , we have 3 tracks in 20 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJWaQQ5yJxo (thats not me driving)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toGQSGDZkEM

ok...now I am just crying...3 tracks in 20 mins. I have been driving 2 hours each way every saturday to go racing at an indoor carpet track. The closest asphalt track is about 4.5 hours away.

My wife and I have always wanted to live in Europe....I think we have different reasons lol.

re: your question about the front rear bracket changed to 2.0...I think this could give you a car that is more loose. I assumed you ar talking about the rear bracket at the front of the car. If so, this will widen the front track which given that a wider track gives more lateral grip...it could give you more steering. However you are reducing the sweep at the same time, which adds more ackerman taking away some steering. Also, there could be a slight increase in the effective spring rate at the front decreasing the ability to transfer weight forward, but not really sure it would be that noticeable. So to be honest it could go either way. The best way to verify of course is to go back to the old setting and see. If you were talking about the front bracket at the rear of the car, then yes this most certainly would add a lot of steering as it would dramatically reduce the rear toe....but I sense you were talking about changes at the front of the car.

Hi Martin,

Thanks,
Michael

Yeah... I agree about the hard rear up rights. I have some alloy ones on order. I have always liked running alloy rear uprights in all my other cars...tamiya, top, xray as I feel it gives a more consistent rear toe setting.

I don't trust tape on it's own, and I like the design of the serpent servo brackets as it does not have a tab that sticks out and hits the ground on cornering like some other chassis designs.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah... I agree about the hard rear up rights. I have some alloy ones on order. I have always liked running alloy rear uprights in all my other cars...tamiya, top, xray as I feel it gives a more consistent rear toe setting.

I don't trust tape on it's own, and I like the design of the serpent servo brackets as it does not have a tab that sticks out and hits the ground on cornering like some other chassis designs.[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing about the tape but if you use a good quality tape clean and prep both surfaces you shouldnt have an issue, the other reason as well is so as you can see by the pictures attached i can move the servo closer to the centre of the car for corner balancing.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-img_0070.jpg   Serpent S411-img_0071.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Recent race setups

Heres a link for some mid/high carpet setups. Enjoy.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...1203300401.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.