R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #3286
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aza088 View Post
New TE went together perfect, Everything was in the box not one thing missing.
From the first batch of kits it seams the parts quality is better and the new shocks are a breeze to build look forward to this car's first run tomorrow.

You coming down for a spin?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #3287
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
I think I'll keep the 1.2 on mine, but go to 1500cst in the rear diff. I think it'd smooth out rotation a bit. I've been running with 8-15 clicks off the steer rate anyway and it still has lots of entry steering.
I haven't had much luck with the thicker oil in the diff which is why I posted the question to Mr.Crisp..just snaps around to easy maybe not with the spool? Really need a breakdown of effects on handling when running different types of oil. Not sure how it's used as a tunning aid. My car right now is on but I would like to drive it in a little harder. I still have a slight push which is magnified if I drive it in hard and tap the brakes. Plus a little faster transition would be nice which I could probably take care of with shock position.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #3288
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
I finally got Martin's Canada setup to open on my PC and I think i must have reached the pinniacle of my RC career as my setup almost matches Mr.Martin's to a "T"..Minus a spring rate and gear diff oil....Now if i could match his smooth driving style i might have something!!!
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
Martin have you found the heavy gear diff oil plays a larger role with the spool? Every time I run the thicker oil the car really snaps around but that was with the gear diff but normally with the spool you don't have the entry steering you do with the gear diff.
Until 2012 I really did not play around much with the rear diff oil and always ran a light 800cst to give lots of rotation off power. However since the snowbirds this year I have been eperimenting a lot more with rear diff oil and could slap myself for not doing this sooner. The rear diff oil has a very big impact on balance of the car. I only run a spool, so I don't have any data on running a front diff. What I have found is that on higher grip surfaces, running a thicker oil in the rear diff makes the car more stable going in and better on-power steering. However on lower grip surfaces a thick rear oil tends to make the car loose on entry as well as exit. So for medium to high grip carpet I seem to like betwen 1000 and 1600 cst. For low grip carpet I like 800cst. I have not run the car on aslphalt yet, but I suspect something in the 800cst to 1200cst will be good with the 800 for lower grip and the 1000 to 1200 for higher grip surfaces....but just a guess at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88 View Post
Martin, I always thought that the camber links and how you shim them, had a greater effect on camber gain and a lesser effect on roll center. If I want to change roll center I would raise or lower the hinge pins. It seems that you shim the the camber links with the purpose of changing the roll center with camber gain not mentioned.
Could you please elaborate a little on this as I've have read it both ways and would be very interested in what your take is.

Also your book says (if I remember correctly) that the length of the link determines when the camber gain happens. Short links, the gain happens quicker but not as much and with long links the gain happens later in the corner but lasts longer. Is this still true ?

Thanks for your time.
Upper link length does affect both camber gain as well as roll center.

A shorter upper link will raise the static roll center very slightly as well as provide more camber gain. The shorter the upper link the less the car rolls or leans, because of the higher roll center, and also the less the roll center high changes as the car leans.

The longer the upper link the more deeply the car rolls or leans, because th RC stays low throughout the roll.

Changing the lower arm inboard link height will have a larger affect on the roll center than changing the upper link inboard height by the same amount. This is why I tend to change the upper link inboard link height rather than the lower arm inboard link height, so that I can make finer adjustments. I will often make just a 0.5mm adjustment on the inboard upper link as even that small adjustment changes the handling. The same 0.5mm change on the lower arm would have an even greater impact on the handling change.

I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Martin.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #3289
Tech Rookie

Hello, can you help me.Where I can buy the Serpent S411 Team Edition at the best price?
Thanks, best regards!!
dc_xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #3290
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_xray View Post
Hello, can you help me.Where I can buy the Serpent S411 Team Edition at the best price?
Thanks, best regards!!
Stormer hobbies may be your best bet!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #3291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ran 1000cst in the back over the weekend, and there was a good amount of traction. I regret not going to at least 1500! The 1000 seems to work well enough on our low bite here in Indy, even with a spool.... I plan to try 2000 the next chance I get.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #3292
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
You coming down for a spin?
Was trying yo get down for a spin but no tyres will be out on Friday night breaking in the new beast.
www.hootrc.com.au
Aza088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #3293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi All,

New bumper brace is in stock now;

http://www.exotekracing.com/s411-car...per-brace-set/

Martin Crisp is kind enough to test a bunch of new top plate designs for Exotek so we should have some feedback for production of new top plates soon

Thanks!

M

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #3294
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Hi All,

New bumper brace is in stock now;

http://www.exotekracing.com/s411-car...per-brace-set/

Martin Crisp is kind enough to test a bunch of new top plate designs for Exotek so we should have some feedback for production of new top plates soon

Thanks!

M

Hey Mike - I sent you some feedback on sunday...just wanted to make sure you got it so I sent it again tonight.

Cheers.
Martin.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #3295
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 290 (100%+)

Just setting up a S411 for VTA after having no end of dramas with rear end grip using a Sakura Zero and a T2-009, are lipo batteries relatively secure with the stock battery mounts (2 back, 2 side) and tape, most TC's seem to have CF braces which hold the battery on the outside edge, the S411 doesn't.

Any essential spares / weak points?
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #3296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Just setting up a S411 for VTA after having no end of dramas with rear end grip using a Sakura Zero and a T2-009, are lipo batteries relatively secure with the stock battery mounts (2 back, 2 side) and tape, most TC's seem to have CF braces which hold the battery on the outside edge, the S411 doesn't.

Any essential spares / weak points?
Get the carbon fiber battery holders for one.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #3297
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I just ordered the Exotek bumper brace. Keep the upgrades coming Mike and the Exotek team.
I can't say enough about how well my car is handling now thanks to the guys on this forum. Oh and that App setup workbench (gratuitous plug).
Has anyone compared the Exotek chassis to the Serpent chassis the 2.0 and the 2.25 in particular.
Hey Shroder send me your setup you ran last weekend please. I want to peak
at it. You should have my email.

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 03-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #3298
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlkgliders View Post
I just ordered the Exotek bumper brace. Keep the upgrades coming Mike and the Exotek team.
I can't say enough about how well my car is handling now thanks to the guys on this forum. Oh and that App setup workbench (gratuitous plug).
Has anyone compared the Exotek chassis to the Serpent chassis the 2.0 and the 2.25 in particular.
Hey Shroder send me your setup you ran last weekend please. I want to peak
at it. You should have my email.
Will do Don.
Mike Schroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #3299
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

New Gear Diff. & Gear V2
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-ser-401532.jpg   Serpent S411-ser-401527.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #3300
Tech Regular

Martin,

How was traction compared to the snowbirds at the Canadian nats? Trying to find a good high bite starting point!