Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Hi guys

It was a great weekend for me and Serpent in Denmark. I managed runner-up in the 3. Round Of Danish Touring Car Championship (DMSU) and became runner-up in the overall championship This indoor season.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by StevenOlsen
Hi guys

It was a great weekend for me and Serpent in Denmark. I managed runner-up in the 3. Round Of Danish Touring Car Championship (DMSU) and became runner-up in the overall championship This indoor season.
NICE, Congratulations.....

I am heading out to the local track for a club race, it's been raining and snowing here in so cal so I am staying local. I am testing v2 rack 2.0 chassis 2.0 flexdeck and the ball diff.....yes i said balldiff
Old 03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

i received my exotek chassis yesterday

my first impression is it looks great, im going to install it tonight, i cant wait to go test it out!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I purchased a the 2mm soft chassis (Mingnon Walter RC has stock of these) to use at a low traction track and one piece motor mount just waiting on the local supplier to get the flex top deck in and i will get one of these as well. I ran the LE in std config 2 weeks ago and struggled big time for grip so hopefully this will help. I also removed the servo holders and taped the servo so as not to loose flex through the front of the chassis also went to a softer shock oil as well as orange springs all round.

The box setup and parts in the LE work great on a gripped up track just struggled with a low grip track first time out.

I guess i will see what happens on Friday night
Old 03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well I ran the 2.0 and flex top deck today for the first time. Unfortunately we got snowed out before the second heat. I really liked what I felt for the short time I ran, I practiced a lot, much more than usual. The setup was strong on rear grip for the first time since I have ran the car. I am just not sure how much the ball diff had to do with it, I tightened the diff down pretty tight and still had great rear end grip. I am definetely the closest I have been for low traction asphalt.
This weeks changes pre race were v2 rack, chassis top deck and ball diff.
I actually tried droop settings and ride height settings to get more forward bite as the above changes gave me a mild push from apex out.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Well I ran the 2.0 and flex top deck today for the first time. Unfortunately we got snowed out before the second heat. I really liked what I felt for the short time I ran, I practiced a lot, much more than usual. The setup was strong on rear grip for the first time since I have ran the car. I am just not sure how much the ball diff had to do with it, I tightened the diff down pretty tight and still had great rear end grip. I am definetely the closest I have been for low traction asphalt.
This weeks changes pre race were v2 rack, chassis top deck and ball diff.
I actually tried droop settings and ride height settings to get more forward bite as the above changes gave me a mild push from apex out.
I find that even on carpet that if I'm struggling to get the right thickness of fluid in the gear diff, I will run a ball diff.......it sort of gives me a feel that perhaps my setup is okay but my gear diff is off, no use chasing setup if its good but the diff is making the car act loose. After thats sorted I'll figure out if the diff needs thicker or thinner fluid and go from there.

If I remember correctly, way back in this thread, someone actually narrowed the rear section of the chassis, cutting it in a bit to get even more rear traction. I don't remember if it was pre 2.0 chassis or post, though. I think the waist was reduced to about the same distance as the front of the car is done in stock form.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
I purchased a the 2mm soft chassis (Mingnon Walter RC has stock of these) to use at a low traction track and one piece motor mount just waiting on the local supplier to get the flex top deck in and i will get one of these as well. I ran the LE in std config 2 weeks ago and struggled big time for grip so hopefully this will help. I also removed the servo holders and taped the servo so as not to loose flex through the front of the chassis also went to a softer shock oil as well as orange springs all round.

The box setup and parts in the LE work great on a gripped up track just struggled with a low grip track first time out.

I guess i will see what happens on Friday night
Post you're setup if you can, and we can see if we can help you out. Just curious about the orange springs though, are you on asphalt or carpet? The stock setup isn't the best in some cases.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Post you're setup if you can, and we can see if we can help you out. Just curious about the orange springs though, are you on asphalt or carpet? The stock setup isn't the best in some cases.
The track is concrete medium length low traction -

Front
std toe blocks
3mm shims under top arm
1deg toe out
V2 steering rack with 2 shims (with flipped arms)
Orange springs
350 cst shock oil
locked diff
2nd hole from top shock tower
outside shock holes on lower arms
2mm shim behind bottom arm and 2mm infront
Std sway bar
Droop 5mm
Hard arms and knuckles and Chub
1.5mm camber r/l
5.5mm ride height

Rear
std toe blocks
3mm shims under top arm
900cst shock oil
3rd hole from top shock tower
orange spring
Std sway bar
1mm shim infront of bottom arms 5mm behind
droop 5mm
Hard arms
Medium upright
1.5mm camber r/l
6mm ride height

Std top deck for know and 2mm soft chassis
1 peice motor mount
SP GT2.0 esc
SP 17.5 motor
Orca 6500mah 70c batteries
Savox low profile servo (taped to chassis)
Sanwa 441 receiver

I think thats all
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Regular

Just my opinion and there are others that are more infomed, you have very heavy oil in your rear shocks also the springs could be softer try the yellow rear with the orange up front. The higher ride height in rear plays into this also making weight transfer to the rear end for traction not easy. I would run the same or lower cst shock oil in rear, softer springs and lower rear ride height.
I also run 4-5 mm spacing in front of rear arms.
hope that helps

Last edited by rdlkgliders; 03-19-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike Schroder
The track is concrete medium length low traction -

Front
std toe blocks
3mm shims under top arm
1deg toe out
V2 steering rack with 2 shims (with flipped arms)
Orange springs
350 cst shock oil
locked diff
2nd hole from top shock tower
2mm shim behind bottom arm and 2mm infront
Std sway bar
Droop 5mm
Hard arms and knuckles and Chub
1.5mm camber r/l
5.5mm ride height

Rear
std toe blocks
3mm shims under top arm
900cst shock oil
3rd hole from top shock tower
orange spring
Std sway bar
1mm shim infront of bottom arms 5mm behind
droop 5mm
Hard arms
Medium upright
1.5mm camber r/l
6mm ride height

I think thats all
Hey Mike.

I agree with rdlkgliders... way to stiff...make ride height the same etc. Also the front roll center is too low at ony 3mm spacers on inboard upper arm. Also the front shock oil is too light for the springs you are running, an the rear shock oil is waaaayyy too stiff.

Can I make a suggestion.. I would start with my setup listed here
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5367

,,,and just play with spring rates I think the white will be a good spring rate for a low grip asphalt, but you may want to try a gray,..but nothing harder.

If you want more rear grip you can a) use the 3.5 rear toe in block b) use 3mm instead of 4mm on inboard upper link. I would try (b) before (a) to reduce the chances of the rear tires overheating later in the run due to too much slip angle.

You may also want to checkout my setup app available for android and for apple devices at www.setupworkbench.com, to help you learn more about how to setup your car so you can enjoy that serpent more!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by StevenOlsen
Hi guys

Congrats!!! awesome!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by crabboy
Cheers Martin, tried a few combos on the car today and settled on 1.5mm, also on a gripped up track used the 2.5 rear block, worked very good, also tried the one piece motor mount and found there to be very little difference between that and the two piece mount, just my opinion.

Rhys
good stuff. that setup should give you lots of steering for sure.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Do you prep the concrete at all ? That has to be a pretty slippery surface. I wonder if the car is far to aggressive in the front end. Maybe changing the castor and eliminate the arm sweep, just throwing that out there as I have had no experience on concrete.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

I have been running white, yellow or grey, black rear and front spring combo's on asphalt with good results.
The app setup workbench works awsome great tool.
I wish I could print the cheat sheet page for easy access and old eyes.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
I have been running white, yellow or grey, black rear and front spring combo's on asphalt with good results.
The app setup workbench works awsome great tool.
I wish I could print the cheat sheet page for easy access and old eyes.
I hear you re: the cheat sheet in my app lol. I just wear bi-focal glasses

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.