R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #2956
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
How about a Viper esc? Goes well with the snake?

I had a few brownouts with a RS in combination with a savox servo and SR300 RXes. My issues disappeared when I switched radios to a KO...
Funny you should say that I was looking at the KO propo ex-1 kiy today.
I really like my spektrum I know some don't but it's not the features or ergonomics, I think it is the dsm as opposed to fhss.
How do you like the KO and boy are thier rx's pricey.....ouch!

Your not lapping me, you just caught up to me again!!!
rdlkgliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #2957
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlkgliders View Post
which speedpassion do you run?
I edited my post will you edit my quote within your post I am only trying to fix a painful reoccurring problem not be mean.
i run the GT2.0pro. the new reventon will have an option for a module, either wireless or bluetooth, and you can use your smart phone to change software and settings. maybe a bit of a gimmik, but i can see more people will jump at this than carry laptops around now.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #2958
Tech Regular

THX:

Old 02-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #2959
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Funny you should say that I was looking at the KO propo ex-1 kiy today.
I really like my spektrum I know some don't but it's not the features or ergonomics, I think it is the dsm as opposed to fhss.
How do you like the KO and boy are thier rx's pricey.....ouch!
I went from a dx3s to a FHSS Eurus so it was definitely a step or two up for ergonomics and speed. Configuration felt a bit odd - configure profiles for each car, but profiles aren't locked to a single RX - any RX you have bound will operate under any profile. So either I've done something wrong and my radio is broken or this thing is fantastic and I can just use velcro to move my RXes around.

As for the RX, yep, there's a premium on those things. But they're tiny and if you compare to the equivalent feature/size spektrum (3520?) it sort of makes it a bit easier to swallow. Tiny RXes are terrific. So much real estate on the car now...

It's far cheaper to switch ESC than radios though!
silvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #2960
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods34 View Post
Well, today was the third raceday on my newS411 (17.5 stock) and I am VERY happy with it. Running about two tenths off the likes of Brad Johnson and Brian Jucha today was encouraging.... My motor is on its last leg, but the car handled great. A fresh motor and battery would give me another tenth. I was impressed with how the back was really stuck despite the tremendous amount of steering I could dial in!
Is this on carpet or asphalt. Looking for a good setup for med grip asphalt.
ZORO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #2961
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Guys had an interesting incident this weekend caught my inside rear tire on a board in our sweeper at my LHS I actually think it was a screw in a flapper judging by my tire but anyway I didn't break anything other than the chassis!! It tore the screw that goes in the rear arm block right through the chassis! The rear arm and everything remained intact..2.25 chassis anyone else had this issue? Plus will the v2 rack help remove the play in the steering or is there an adjustment to help remove it I can make?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #2962
Tech Regular

I would have liked to see a little more material there myself. I noticed when putting on my chassis protector that it was quite minimal in that area, I think I would have dealt with whatever the sacrifice would be to add a little more.
I think once the rest of the guys move to the outdoor season where the barriers can be a little rougher on our cars we will get some good feedback on durability.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #2963
Tech Regular

Quote:
I would have liked to see a little more material there myself. I noticed when putting on my chassis protector that it was quite minimal in that area, I think I would have dealt with whatever the sacrifice would be to add a little more.
I think once the rest of the guys move to the outdoor season where the barriers can be a little rougher on our cars we will get some good feedback on durability.
I am thinking of adding some carbon in front of the rear wheels to block that contact! I couldn't believe that nothing else broke!
Old 02-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #2964
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvalis View Post
How about a Viper esc? Goes well with the snake?

I had a few brownouts with a RS in combination with a savox servo and SR300 RXes. My issues disappeared when I switched radios to a KO...
I tried to use an SR300 once with a spektrum 6040 servo, in a losi 22. It didn't even come close to working. It would brownout on the bench just turning the wheel back and forth a little. Switched the receiver to an SR3100 and had no problems (using an RS pro). The cheaper spektrum receivers are terrible. They definitely can't handle strong/fast servos that draw more power(maybe just with certain ESCs?). The DSM2 receivers seem to work fine though. I have a couple of SR3520 and an SR3100, all attached to high draw servos that I hear people complain about (Savox and Spektrum), but they all work well for me, without receiver capacitors. If I was to start over, I would probably buy either Airtronics or KO, but Spektrum's DSM2 stuff has worked fine for me.

@Martin Crisp. Man, your car looked amazing yesterday! As did your driving. The whole reason I was looking in this thread was to see if you happened to have posted your setup. I'd just love to see it, even though I drive a different car.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2965
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER View Post
Guys had an interesting incident this weekend caught my inside rear tire on a board in our sweeper at my LHS I actually think it was a screw in a flapper judging by my tire but anyway I didn't break anything other than the chassis!! It tore the screw that goes in the rear arm block right through the chassis! The rear arm and everything remained intact..2.25 chassis anyone else had this issue? Plus will the v2 rack help remove the play in the steering or is there an adjustment to help remove it I can make?
I have had one crash that took pretty much everything on the left rear of the car destroyed, arm, upright, upper link, swaybar, and hinge pin, (looked like a hockey stick), BUT the suspension bridge, screws and chassis where not effected. Our track boards are the same as what we would use outdoors, (tripled 2X4s) so they don't move much. This was running the 2.25 chassis, unsealed. I think the 2.0 chassis could have a problem though as its very thin. Not sure if sealing the chassis would strengthen it at all.

I do kick myself about this crash though, as I was giving my friend a rough time about his wreck with his Xray, and proceeded to put my car in the exact same place and do pretty much the same damage. Man carma can be a bit@h sometimes, LOL.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #2966
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
ill be going back to the std rack. have tried the V2 for 2 meets now, firstly, 3 shims, was very agressive turn in, made the rear very snappy. tried 2 shims and 1. cant seem to get rid of the agressive turn in, but 1 shim seemed better feel for our track. lap times havent matched the original rack, and have tried on carpet also. so back to std rack for me.
I run on carpet, and just did back to back tests on the V1 and V2 racks, I actually prefer the V2 rack with 2 shims, as it feels like in mid corner and exit off, that it completes the turn better. With the V1, turn in was good but mid and exit seemed to push out more.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #2967
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Hi, johnny you also have the xray t3 2012, which car do you perfer and why, thinking of maybe tring out an xray 2012, but if this car is better then i,ll stick with it, thanks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #2968
Tech Regular

Johnny...believe me I was completely shocked!! I wander if running hard arms would eliminate the chance of this happening again..would rather spend 12 bucks then spend 80 on a chassis...do you think the V2 takes out any of the play in the steering?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #2969
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

If anyone is looking for serpent parts I have the following, all brand new in packages, all are serpent unless specified, aluminum knuckle, v2 steering, springs black and grey, jet racing rear aluminum hubs, number 2 suspension block, .5mm suspension spacers, aluminum pulleys 19t x2, front and rear arms medium, c hubs x2 medium, two foam bumpers, one extra top bumper piece, build xceed diff complete light weight, no oil added just build you can add the oil saves 15g over regular diff, tamiya 51000 servo saver black with 3 racing servo horn, 3 racing extended 5.8mm ball nuts, 3 racing 3mm countersunk washers, 1.2mm sway bar, weight set 12g and 15g bolts right on the s411 as it has holes made for these weights, 116t 64p spur gear, and dcj, again everything is new, I am looking to get 199 usd shipped to canada or lower 48 states, just the dcj are 80 dollars, so you can see a deal here, price out just the aluminum parts and they are over 200 alone, thanks and pm, paypal only
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #2970
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
Hi, johnny you also have the xray t3 2012, which car do you perfer and why, thinking of maybe tring out an xray 2012, but if this car is better then i,ll stick with it, thanks
I had a T3 2012. Every car has good and bad points and all the cars out there are pretty close to each other, I think the key to getting the most out of a car is picking one and staying with it. Pick the one you think looks the best, or the one you like to work on the most, or the one that works the best for you out of the box, or the one that nobody else uses, pick the under dog, but pick one and stick with it. Part of this hobby is doing what you like, be a individual, but do what makes you happy.

The cars themselves are so close, its finding that setup that works for you and then polish the driving. Like Martin says, once you find that setup that works for you, it seems like you might do some slight rc and spring changes, but not much else.

Like yourself, you tend to like one make of shocks, (u missed my zinger on the awesome forum, lol), I like to try and make the stock parts work, but really its all just part of being that individual.

I can tell you from running the other guys Xrays for some laps, compared to my S411, the Xray has a push feel on corner entry, with good rotation, the car feels like you can toss it a little harder into a corner and it still sticks the back. The S411 is more precise in the steering and with that can give you the feel of the back being loose if your too aggressive on the steering input. I find that I can drive the X guys cars pretty well after a couple laps, but X guys really struggle when they try to run my car.