R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #2536
Tech Initiate

Great runs at the MGS and thanks for posting your setups. R/car, The Big Rug, is my local track. Kevin and his family run a great venue and make a great environment. My S411 will be arriving soon and I can't wait to break the AE/X-ray dominance on our local scene. Your setups will give me an immediate alternative to the base setup. Thanks!
FastHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #2537
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
nice lap times
Thanks Martin that really means alot.
98tahoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #2538
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHound View Post
Great runs at the MGS and thanks for posting your setups. R/car, The Big Rug, is my local track. Kevin and his family run a great venue and make a great environment. My S411 will be arriving soon and I can't wait to break the AE/X-ray dominance on our local scene. Your setups will give me an immediate alternative to the base setup. Thanks!
Hey man what's your name not sure if u ran at the third leg. I spoke to so many people about the Serpent S411 that weekend. Also the setup james put up is great for your track which is an awesome facility.

By the way me and James ran the same setup thats why I our lap times are so similar.

-Alston Kelso
98tahoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #2539
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

finally ran the le today, and what a durable car, I was very happy with it, coming form a 417x, some of the hits would shatter the tamiya, that said, I needed some info, Has anybody run the front suspension blocks 1 in the front and 2 in the rear, i was going to try this but did not have enough time, also need to get some more grip in the rear, I put the shocks up one hole, then two and lost traction, so went back down one hole, the car handles best at the 5th hole from inside, running 2mm spacer in the inner pivot ball and 4mm in the outer, going to put thinner diff oil in, also would removing some screws in the rear top deck help with rear traction, but any other recommenditions, I should try, its on high grip carpet, just need more rear grip, so the car can rotate faster without losing the rear, thanks did I mention how much better this car is lol, very happy with it
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #2540
Tech Fanatic

Default one piece motor mount

So i tried the one piece motor mount today and I have to say I prefer the original motor mount. I found the one piece unit caused the car to have some torque steer that was not there with the original motor mount.

Just seeing if anyone else noticed this?
Old 01-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #2541
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
So i tried the one piece motor mount today and I have to say I prefer the original motor mount. I found the one piece unit caused the car to have some torque steer that was not there with the original motor mount.

Hi Martin, just wondering when you ran the original motor mount where you running the top plate middle screw? If not did you have any issues taking out the spur gear?

Thanks
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #2542
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
finally ran the le today, and what a durable car, I was very happy with it, coming form a 417x, some of the hits would shatter the tamiya, that said, I needed some info, Has anybody run the front suspension blocks 1 in the front and 2 in the rear, i was going to try this but did not have enough time, also need to get some more grip in the rear, I put the shocks up one hole, then two and lost traction, so went back down one hole, the car handles best at the 5th hole from inside, running 2mm spacer in the inner pivot ball and 4mm in the outer, going to put thinner diff oil in, also would removing some screws in the rear top deck help with rear traction, but any other recommenditions, I should try, its on high grip carpet, just need more rear grip, so the car can rotate faster without losing the rear, thanks did I mention how much better this car is lol, very happy with it
Squared or sweeped back, never heard of someone running forward sweep.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #2543
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

with the 417x, there was a set up for high traction carpet that said to use 1c front and 1d rear, so giving it forward sweep, sold the car before i could try it, so was thinking what about this car, i,ll try it anyway, but any ideas for the rear, need more rotation without losing traction, thanks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #2544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesReilly View Post
The Race:This last weekend was the third leg of the Mid West Grand Slam Series at The Big Rug in Indy, what can say this place
is great, good lighting, great food, great people running the track.

Alston Kelso and myself were in attendance, this would really be our first big race with the S411ís so we were both a little nervous to see how we stacked up. Racers such as Dave Johnson, Chris Geotz, Bill Sydor, Junior Norton, and Mike Slaughter,
were there so I knew this would be no easy race to finish near the front.

The Qualifying: So we got there Friday night and got setup and did a little practice for a few hours but we decided to just wait and learn the track as we found out that they had sprayed the track earlier that day so you know it was going to change some as it had a chance to dry overnight. Saturday morning we started to make changes for the track and conditions. We both also ran the 13.5 open class, but just ran our stock
cars to gain further track time and test ideas for the next round. With our changes for the third round I felt our cars were very good and looking
forward to Sunday.

Sunday 4th round qualifying didnít work out for me as well as I wanted so I slipped from 2nd to 4th in 17.5 but 2nd thought 4th was less then 0.5 sec apart so it was a very close. Kelso however made good use of the fourth round by being on a 31 one lap pace for the first three minutes TQ was a 30 6:02 but unfortunately due to a few mistakes had to settle for a 30 6:09 which put him 5th.
In 13.5 we ended up sitting 3rd for Kelso and 4th for me, we both had cars that could go faster then where we qualified as we both had very low top twenty
averages just our mistakes were bigger losing us the precious time on the overall clock.

The Mains: well they were both a bitÖletís say messy. I made a good start in the 17.5 run getting to 3rd but came through the sweeper and flipped, then tapped, then ended up last..ugh! I proceeded to make a run back to 4th only 5 seconds behind 2nd and 3rd. I honestly donít know how Kelsoís race went or what happened from his race I do know he finished 8th. I do know that only three cars ran in the 11ís in the main and two of them were Serpent S411ís.
13.5 was a little of the same on the start and I made a few little mistake of my own having me run around in 3rd for most of the race, right at the end was very exciting as Bill Sydor had some sort on incident causing me to be right on his bumper for the last 2 or 3 laps. I was close but I couldnít but a clean pass on him so I finished 3rd and Kelso 4th. In 13.5 main I ran a 11.757 which was the fastest anyone went in either main by a tenth!

The Cars: Both our cars are the latest kits with the 2.25mm chassis and the 2mm top deck. Hard arms and Med Chubs, steering knuckles and uprights. The other options that we used are gear diff for the front, the one piece motor mount and lipo holders. We also cut the rear of the top deck for increased rear flex and traction.

The Thanks: Serpent, Chicky, Fantom Racing, My Family, Alston and the MSI Crew,
Juinor Norton you know why . The Big Rug and MSI Racing.

Iíll have to fill out a setup sheet tonight when I get home as I canít create a pdf here and pics of the cut top deck.

Remember the fourth leg is at MSI at the end of February make plans to be there!!
I take it you will be there???

-DC-
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #2545
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2802 View Post
I take it you will be there???

-DC-
NA...I saw it in a dream LOL.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #2546
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
with the 417x, there was a set up for high traction carpet that said to use 1c front and 1d rear, so giving it forward sweep, sold the car before i could try it, so was thinking what about this car, i,ll try it anyway, but any ideas for the rear, need more rotation without losing traction, thanks
I would be hesitant of front forward arm sweep, due to, in the current car with no ackerman adjustment, you would actually go the opposite of what the car is really looking for. **You might get it back by a combination of the forward sweep and a wheel base change.

If its forward bite try to go with 2/2mm on the upper link in and out, with a mid length setting. You can think of less spacers on the outer will lock the rear in more. If you find that you want to increase the rear side bite, you could use a 2/2mm spacer but make the upper link as short as possible.
It could also be trying to take away some of the aggressiveness in the front end, use a long upper link but run a 4.5 or 5mm inner spacer, also going less on the amount of tire prep that you do on front tire, like 1/2 or 1/3 of the inner tire.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #2547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:

No, but we're only running 17.5 blinky / 13.5 boosted here, I have the 1 piece mount in both cars. Are you running the noodly top deck?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #2548
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
Are you running the noodly top deck?
What top deck is this?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #2549
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesReilly View Post
NA...I saw it in a dream LOL.
Lol I like it. Working on trying to make the trip. But getting married right before the race and moving as well. So it'll be tough but itd be nice to get to go race with some serpents. Lol

DC
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #2550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
What top deck is this?
2mm