R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #2206
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
anyone try the *gasp* ball diff in the rear?
I have and when the track is really low traction or first runs of the day it works very well. Its worth having in the spares box. I couldn't get a good feel for my car on one track and went to the ball diff and its was much more driveable coming out of corners. There is can still be an advantage to slipping the diff on some tracks, where a gear diff is locked no matter what oil you run in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
try using toothpaste to break in the diff.
Just make sure its the grittier kind that is usually straight white in colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
I was just putting your setup on my car when I got to the rear outside upright. There you have 5mm of shims. When I dry fit the 5mm of shims there was only about 3mm of screw that was going into the plastic upright, which I thought would pull out... Did you do anything special to be able to add the 5mm of shims?
3mm if that much, I like to test the boards out and it doesn't last long even with the grub screw in the empty hole. Really need 10mm studs unlike the 8mm stock units. I switched over to Xray stock ones where you can put a screw thru and then ran a longer assembly. I don't think the Xray 10mm ball studs will work with the Serpent cups either as they are too big dia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
well the spares I ordered two days after my kit arrived today but my kit still isn't here checked the tracking info on usps.com and it said the scheduled delivery is the 21st and is still in transit, no wonder the USPS is going bankrupt
That's funny as I get the same answer when I search on UPS. The USPS guy probably hasn't finished building, running, dis-assembled, and re-packed it for you.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #2207
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
So what you are saying is that you run around 800 oil under all conditions and temperatures.
So low traction, med traction, high traction and super high traction.

If that is the case then the whole discussion on different oils in the diff would be obsolete?
I don't think it is obsolete....as certainly changing the oil makes a difference in the way the car handles. For me i don't tend to vary much from the 800 weight oild, but for other drivers they will go as high as 2000 and more. I think it depends on the rest of your setup and what you are trying to get the car to do.

[QUOTE=Kensei;10074265]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
try using toothpaste to break in the diff.

Wanna try breaking in the diff using toothpaste.
Could you please explain how to go about it?

Somewhat years ago I bought your chassis set up book and used it many times.
Now, 10 years after you wrote it, as you got into it, you yourself re-wrote the entire book, with updated, additional and more in-depth setup information.
How can I get my hands on that setup information, knowing that I don't have an Android, I-Phone or I-Pad?
Just put the toothpaste into the gear where you normally put the oil, and then run the gear in either within your car by holding one of the rear wheels and running the motor at 15% to 30% throttle. Or use a drill if you have an attachement that would work. I use a dremel tool with a rubber bit end that fits nicely into the outdrive of the diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Originally Posted by The Teacher
Martin Crisp, if you are looking for more flex I would try running the optional motor mount or the new flex upper deck. You could also try cutting the rear cross section on the stock upper deck. I've tried all of these things and found that a combo of the optional motor mount with the cut upper deck works best in low bite situations (on pavement). Have not tried this on carpet yet. Question, what thickness chassis did you get (bottom plate)?

You say for more flex try running the optional motor mount OR the new flex upper deck.

What about the optional motor mount AND the new flex upper deck?
The chassis that came with both my kits the standard and the LE are 2.25mm.

No reason to not try both the flex upper deck and the 2.25mm chassis.
__________________
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #2208
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 822
Default build done

finished both cars...ready to do some testing tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-both-serpent-cars.jpg  
__________________
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #2209
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone tried 1mm spacers under the motor mount and then 1mm spacers under the top deck to get the motor up up just a touch so the car can roll a little further before the motor touches?


Martin, those look great, I see you're trying a couple different setups on the 2 cars, interesting screw arrangement in the top deck.

Jeff if you have any influence in the setup sheet creator, that's another option that we can't modify either and probably should. (Top deck screws).
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #2210
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

[QUOTE=Martin Crisp;10074954]I don't think it is obsolete....as certainly changing the oil makes a difference in the way the car handles. For me i don't tend to vary much from the 800 weight oild, but for other drivers they will go as high as 2000 and more. I think it depends on the rest of your setup and what you are trying to get the car to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post

Just put the toothpaste into the gear where you normally put the oil, and then run the gear in either within your car by holding one of the rear wheels and running the motor at 15% to 30% throttle. Or use a drill if you have an attachement that would work. I use a dremel tool with a rubber bit end that fits nicely into the outdrive of the diff.

How long run the gear?





The chassis that came with both my kits the standard and the LE are 2.25mm.

No reason to not try both the flex upper deck and the 2.25mm chassis.
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #2211
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default Serpent S411

@Martin:

This one wasn't answered:
Somewhat years ago I bought your chassis set up book and used it many times.
Now, 10 years after you wrote it, as you got into it, you yourself re-wrote the entire book, with updated, additional and more in-depth setup information.
How can I get my hands on that setup information, knowing that I don't have an Android, I-Phone or I-Pad?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2212
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
finished both cars...ready to do some testing tomorrow
So are these with the one piece motor mount?
Earlier on you said you were going to get these.

Which top deck?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #2213
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
@Martin:

This one wasn't answered:
Somewhat years ago I bought your chassis set up book and used it many times.
Now, 10 years after you wrote it, as you got into it, you yourself re-wrote the entire book, with updated, additional and more in-depth setup information.
How can I get my hands on that setup information, knowing that I don't have an Android, I-Phone or I-Pad?
I hate to say it, but buy a used android, itouch, iphone or ipad, as those are the only devices supported right now. There is not other format for this content at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
So are these with the one piece motor mount?
Earlier on you said you were going to get these.

Which top deck?
I am using the kit upper deck and kit motor mount. I don't have the single motor mount and flex upper deck yet. I think I will be able to get the kit stuff to work very however.
__________________
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #2214
Moderator
 
J.Whiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Posts: 4,523
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

looks like you had to add a bunch of weight where i did.. cars look good.. you will like the way they drive.. what is the name of the app for setup.. i have an htc and would like to down load it.. always like more info... also martin send over you set.. before and after testing.. just gound over things in my head.. i know where i will be heading on the 1st.. jeremy
__________________
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:48 AM   #2215
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default Geardiff Serpent S411

@Martin

How long run the geardiff with toothpaste?

- must that be done both ways, or is that not important?
- can one in some way feel if it is run in properly? For instance by turning it with both hands and feel how the mechanism inside moves, or so?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #2216
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
I hate to say it, but buy a used android, itouch, iphone or ipad, as those are the only devices supported right now. There is not other format for this content at the moment.



I am using the kit upper deck and kit motor mount. I don't have the single motor mount and flex upper deck yet. I think I will be able to get the kit stuff to work very however.
"to work very however." You say.

I assume you mean "very well however" or "very good however", or so.
Just to be sure.... ;-)

What you mean is that you won't be needing the one piece motor mount and the flex upper deck to get the car working as you think is right?
On aphalt/tarmac that is?
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #2217
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
"to work very however." You say.

I assume you mean "very well however" or "very good however", or so.
Just to be sure.... ;-)

What you mean is that you won't be needing the one piece motor mount and the flex upper deck to get the car working as you think is right?
On aphalt/tarmac that is?
Hi !

Thats only "optional" parts and you don't need them to be fast

Marc used on Asphalt @ the German Nationals the 2.25mm Chassis but still the stock 2.0mm Topdeck. In our stock class, which isn't much slower because of 13.5T boosted one S411 finished 2. and one other finished 3. with stock 2.5mm chassis and 2.0mm stock topdeck.

You see, the car should be fast enough out of the box.
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #2218
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
Just to be on the safe side: that is on asphalt/tarmac? (not on carpet)

With kit motor mount?

Or with optional one piece motor mount?
On Asphalt & Carpet.

You can put this screw only on the kit motor mount because the single motor mount haven't a screw hole there.

I mean the "single centered " screw on the Topdeck. We don't used that screw everytime!
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #2219
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
Hi !

Thats only "optional" parts and you don't need them to be fast

Marc used on Asphalt @ the German Nationals the 2.25mm Chassis but still the stock 2.0mm Topdeck. In our stock class, which isn't much slower because of 13.5T boosted one S411 finished 2. and one other finished 3. with stock 2.5mm chassis and 2.0mm stock topdeck.

You see, the car should be fast enough out of the box.

OKIDOKI
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 AM   #2220
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
On Asphalt & Carpet.

You can put this screw only on the kit motor mount because the single motor mount haven't a screw hole there.

I mean the "single centered " screw on the Topdeck. We don't used that screw everytime!

So you can "play" with that screw depending on the grip of that track at that moment. As I understand it using the screw is lesser flex and more appropriate on track with somewhat more grip.
Not using the screw is more flex and used when grip is lower.
Kensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:14 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0