R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #2161
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy

I like the 2.25mm chassis, feels best for me

Enough Traction and more on-power steering :P ... but 2,5mm is fast, too - especially on carpet.

Topdeck i tried already 2.0mm flex, 2.0mm stock and 2.5mm optional.

2.5mm optional was very bad, don't like this - on ultra high-grip carpet it have a small amount more cornering speed, but the car grip rolled a lot faster ...

2.0mm stock should be the best all-around solution. 2.0mm flex was very good for me on my local track, much more steering but a litte bit more nervous rear end. As a lot of you know already, i have the same "nervous" driving style like Marc and we both "prefer" the 2,0mm flex topdeck.

One page earlier i already showed a picture of my car...
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2162
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
I like the 2.25mm chassis, feels best for me

Enough Traction and more on-power steering :P ... but 2,5mm is fast, too - especially on carpet.

Topdeck i tried already 2.0mm flex, 2.0mm stock and 2.5mm optional.

2.5mm optional was very bad, don't like this - on ultra high-grip carpet it have a small amount more cornering speed, but the car grip rolled a lot faster ...

2.0mm stock should be the best all-around solution. 2.0mm flex was very good for me on my local track, much more steering but a litte bit more nervous rear end. As a lot of you know already, i have the same "nervous" driving style like Marc and we both "prefer" the 2,0mm flex topdeck.

One page earlier i already showed a picture of my car...
Did you happen to post your setup anywhere? If so where? Thanks
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #2163
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Did you happen to post your setup anywhere? If so where? Thanks
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5306

after a lot of test days with marc this is a very good base for us.

Small differences i used:
2.25mm Chassis
Stabilizers 1.4mm all-around
oil xceed 500 all-around
bracket 3 in rear

you have to test if the ride springs are okay for your driving style, because a lot of people here tried them already but the car handling wasn't good in their opinion so the most of them went back to serpent springs or hpi springs. We have a lot fast guys here which using the serpent sprigns
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #2164
Tech Elite

#iZzy, can you tell us what the "feel" difference was going from a short rear bar to the long rear bar? Do you use the same dia bar but just go long or short or do you have to increase/decrease the dia if you go to a long over short? Why would you do this? Thanks
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #2165
Tech Adept

Quote:
#iZzy, can you tell us what the "feel" difference was going from a short rear bar to the long rear bar? Do you use the same dia bar but just go long or short or do you have to increase/decrease the dia if you go to a long over short? Why would you do this? Thanks
I've used the same stabilizer, even for short or long linkage.

The Stabilizer felt a bit softer if it's long mounted and if you put your wishbones up without mounted shocks it looks like the stabilizer is working more linear from left to right.

On the track it feels a bit more nervous on the rear end, but fastest lap was the same.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

I'm almost positive my regular kit came with a 2.25 main chassis.
So Martin may have a 2.25 on both cars straight from the box.
-DC-
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #2167
Tech Elite

#IZzy, just a reminder that you're link to that setup sheet and a couple other ones on that site (all the 100mb sized ones) aren't actually saved and locked, so although we can look at them, we are unable to save them until you or Mark or whoever created it does as save on it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #2168
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Martin I would agree with both of the above. On a 2.25 chassis I actually prefer the one piece mount which then allows you to do the 4 screw or not use the middle screw without taking the spur gear out. Not sure why but the one piece just feels better on the car. I have not tried a cut top deck on carpet either.

Teach, he said he got one of each car and we know the LE comes with the 2.25 chassis, I'd guess the other is the 2.50 chassis since it was only being changed out by some shops in Europe on request, (not really a option kit as I understand) But I could be wrong, just idle chatter waiting for the real answer as everyone else.
Makes sense. I just finished building one of the cars, and now I know what you mean by the one piece would allow you to not have to use the screw through the upper deck into the motor mount...and that does make a huge difference in the flex of the car.

I guess I need to order the one piece motor mount
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #2169
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Makes sense. I just finished building one of the cars, and now I know what you mean by the one piece would allow you to not have to use the screw through the upper deck into the motor mount...and that does make a huge difference in the flex of the car.

I guess I need to order the one piece motor mount
we never used that screw through the upper deck into the motor mount ...
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #2170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I ran my S411 last night with Jeremy Whiting's 12/11/11 setup. The car was excellent, very sharp and predictable on corner entry, lots of controllable on power steering. Great setup for medium bite carpet (2.5 chassis)...Thanks Jeremy!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #2171
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
#IZzy, just a reminder that you're link to that setup sheet and a couple other ones on that site (all the 100mb sized ones) aren't actually saved and locked, so although we can look at them, we are unable to save them until you or Mark or whoever created it does as save on it.
if you have it you can save it by printing it with a PDF creator if you do not have its a free down load
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #2172

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I ran my S411 last night with Jeremy Whiting's 12/11/11 setup. The car was excellent, very sharp and predictable on corner entry, lots of controllable on power steering. Great setup for medium bite carpet (2.5 chassis)...Thanks Jeremy!
glad to help you out.... so far the 2 weeks of racing with the serpent 2 tq.s with a win and a 2nd* ( i started last and went thru the field... the guy leading was hitting guys out of the way to pass. i was making clean passes.. i finished 2 sec behind him).. the car was the fastest out there by far.. very smooth. jan 1st will be the next race with it.. going with a mod motor for that day so we will see what setup i come up with.. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #2173
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Are you the same Matt Howard that got beat by Clint Riley once at Ripon speedway???

When you getting transferred to Travis AFB???
Is this same Matt Howard who kicked Scott B butt so many times that made Scott B change over to Serpent???
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #2174
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5306

after a lot of test days with marc this is a very good base for us.

Small differences i used:
2.25mm Chassis
Stabilizers 1.4mm all-around
oil xceed 500 all-around
bracket 3 in rear

you have to test if the ride springs are okay for your driving style, because a lot of people here tried them already but the car handling wasn't good in their opinion so the most of them went back to serpent springs or hpi springs. We have a lot fast guys here which using the serpent sprigns
thanks for the setup...so Marc is only running 2 degrees rear toe and a fairly low roll center. It seems you are running the standard axle hex's. I am guessing your rear track width at the contact patch is about 2mm narrower than the front based on the hinge pin blocks you and Marc are using.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2175
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
Is this same Matt Howard who kicked Scott B butt so many times that made Scott B change over to Serpent???
oh yeah, same guy my LE kit should be here tomorrow so I get all weekend to build it.

Any other S411 drivers planning on racing the carpet nats in Dallas?
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote