R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #2161
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

I like the 2.25mm chassis, feels best for me

Enough Traction and more on-power steering :P ... but 2,5mm is fast, too - especially on carpet.

Topdeck i tried already 2.0mm flex, 2.0mm stock and 2.5mm optional.

2.5mm optional was very bad, don't like this - on ultra high-grip carpet it have a small amount more cornering speed, but the car grip rolled a lot faster ...

2.0mm stock should be the best all-around solution. 2.0mm flex was very good for me on my local track, much more steering but a litte bit more nervous rear end. As a lot of you know already, i have the same "nervous" driving style like Marc and we both "prefer" the 2,0mm flex topdeck.

One page earlier i already showed a picture of my car...
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #2162
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
I like the 2.25mm chassis, feels best for me

Enough Traction and more on-power steering :P ... but 2,5mm is fast, too - especially on carpet.

Topdeck i tried already 2.0mm flex, 2.0mm stock and 2.5mm optional.

2.5mm optional was very bad, don't like this - on ultra high-grip carpet it have a small amount more cornering speed, but the car grip rolled a lot faster ...

2.0mm stock should be the best all-around solution. 2.0mm flex was very good for me on my local track, much more steering but a litte bit more nervous rear end. As a lot of you know already, i have the same "nervous" driving style like Marc and we both "prefer" the 2,0mm flex topdeck.

One page earlier i already showed a picture of my car...
Did you happen to post your setup anywhere? If so where? Thanks
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #2163
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Did you happen to post your setup anywhere? If so where? Thanks
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5306

after a lot of test days with marc this is a very good base for us.

Small differences i used:
2.25mm Chassis
Stabilizers 1.4mm all-around
oil xceed 500 all-around
bracket 3 in rear


you have to test if the ride springs are okay for your driving style, because a lot of people here tried them already but the car handling wasn't good in their opinion so the most of them went back to serpent springs or hpi springs. We have a lot fast guys here which using the serpent sprigns
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM   #2164
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

#iZzy, can you tell us what the "feel" difference was going from a short rear bar to the long rear bar? Do you use the same dia bar but just go long or short or do you have to increase/decrease the dia if you go to a long over short? Why would you do this? Thanks
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #2165
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
#iZzy, can you tell us what the "feel" difference was going from a short rear bar to the long rear bar? Do you use the same dia bar but just go long or short or do you have to increase/decrease the dia if you go to a long over short? Why would you do this? Thanks
I've used the same stabilizer, even for short or long linkage.

The Stabilizer felt a bit softer if it's long mounted and if you put your wishbones up without mounted shocks it looks like the stabilizer is working more linear from left to right.

On the track it feels a bit more nervous on the rear end, but fastest lap was the same.
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #2166
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: W.V.
Posts: 2,224
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802
Default

I'm almost positive my regular kit came with a 2.25 main chassis.
So Martin may have a 2.25 on both cars straight from the box.
-DC-
__________________
~Jconcepts~EA Motorsports~
smitty2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #2167
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,287
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

#IZzy, just a reminder that you're link to that setup sheet and a couple other ones on that site (all the 100mb sized ones) aren't actually saved and locked, so although we can look at them, we are unable to save them until you or Mark or whoever created it does as save on it.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #2168
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Martin I would agree with both of the above. On a 2.25 chassis I actually prefer the one piece mount which then allows you to do the 4 screw or not use the middle screw without taking the spur gear out. Not sure why but the one piece just feels better on the car. I have not tried a cut top deck on carpet either.

Teach, he said he got one of each car and we know the LE comes with the 2.25 chassis, I'd guess the other is the 2.50 chassis since it was only being changed out by some shops in Europe on request, (not really a option kit as I understand) But I could be wrong, just idle chatter waiting for the real answer as everyone else.
Makes sense. I just finished building one of the cars, and now I know what you mean by the one piece would allow you to not have to use the screw through the upper deck into the motor mount...and that does make a huge difference in the flex of the car.

I guess I need to order the one piece motor mount
__________________
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #2169
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 106
Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
Makes sense. I just finished building one of the cars, and now I know what you mean by the one piece would allow you to not have to use the screw through the upper deck into the motor mount...and that does make a huge difference in the flex of the car.

I guess I need to order the one piece motor mount
we never used that screw through the upper deck into the motor mount ...
__________________
Team Magic Europe - HRC-Distribution - GM-Racing - LMI - MR33 - Tonisport
#iZzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #2170
Tech Master
 
pcar951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cow Town
Posts: 1,647
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I ran my S411 last night with Jeremy Whiting's 12/11/11 setup. The car was excellent, very sharp and predictable on corner entry, lots of controllable on power steering. Great setup for medium bite carpet (2.5 chassis)...Thanks Jeremy!
__________________
Jim Chapman
PM Hobbycraft | RCAmerica | Xray | Hudy | Reds Racing
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #2171
Tech Elite
 
mattwoodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: perth / australia
Posts: 2,747
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
#IZzy, just a reminder that you're link to that setup sheet and a couple other ones on that site (all the 100mb sized ones) aren't actually saved and locked, so although we can look at them, we are unable to save them until you or Mark or whoever created it does as save on it.
if you have it you can save it by printing it with a PDF creator if you do not have its a free down load
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #2172
Moderator
 
J.Whiting's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Posts: 4,523
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
I ran my S411 last night with Jeremy Whiting's 12/11/11 setup. The car was excellent, very sharp and predictable on corner entry, lots of controllable on power steering. Great setup for medium bite carpet (2.5 chassis)...Thanks Jeremy!
glad to help you out.... so far the 2 weeks of racing with the serpent 2 tq.s with a win and a 2nd* ( i started last and went thru the field... the guy leading was hitting guys out of the way to pass. i was making clean passes.. i finished 2 sec behind him).. the car was the fastest out there by far.. very smooth. jan 1st will be the next race with it.. going with a mod motor for that day so we will see what setup i come up with.. jeremy
__________________
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #2173
Tech Regular
 
Team STPN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Roseville, Cal
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Are you the same Matt Howard that got beat by Clint Riley once at Ripon speedway???

When you getting transferred to Travis AFB???
Is this same Matt Howard who kicked Scott B butt so many times that made Scott B change over to Serpent???
Team STPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #2174
Tech Fanatic
 
Martin Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
http://serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5306

after a lot of test days with marc this is a very good base for us.

Small differences i used:
2.25mm Chassis
Stabilizers 1.4mm all-around
oil xceed 500 all-around
bracket 3 in rear


you have to test if the ride springs are okay for your driving style, because a lot of people here tried them already but the car handling wasn't good in their opinion so the most of them went back to serpent springs or hpi springs. We have a lot fast guys here which using the serpent sprigns
thanks for the setup...so Marc is only running 2 degrees rear toe and a fairly low roll center. It seems you are running the standard axle hex's. I am guessing your rear track width at the contact patch is about 2mm narrower than the front based on the hinge pin blocks you and Marc are using.
__________________
Martin Crisp
SetupWorkbench.com | Power-Story.com | LearnSetup.com
Martin Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #2175
Tech Champion
 
Matt Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Abilene TX
Posts: 5,952
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
Is this same Matt Howard who kicked Scott B butt so many times that made Scott B change over to Serpent???
oh yeah, same guy my LE kit should be here tomorrow so I get all weekend to build it.

Any other S411 drivers planning on racing the carpet nats in Dallas?
__________________
Official member of The Guild of Calamitous Intent and proud supporter of Conjectural Technologies.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:57 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0