R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #2101
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default Joining Team Serpent

I've joined with Team Serpent this year, which was a pretty easy choice after 6 batteries the S411 was right on pace with the lap times other guys have been racing on for two weeks, that was my first time on that layout, to say the least I was impressed.
Smoother, easier, more forgiving and fast seems good to me.

I'll see you at the track,
James
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #2102
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default More tweak issues

If you have a tweaked chassis besides the basic things like loosening the top and bottom screws and the rotationally re-tightening them, tweak can also occur by having a slightly twisted upper bulkhead clamp. Also sometimes the shock tower takes a hit and can tweak the whole assembly, so again loosen the 4 shock tower screws front and back, while the car is on a flat surface, then re-tighten. If you do this and the tweak comes back it could very well be a upper clamp or even the lowers could be bent.

This will usually happen after a bigger crash, you'll know cause you'll feel it on the drivers stand when it happens.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #2103
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com View Post
ya, I CA all the steering rack bearings.... it seems to fit quite loosely.... After the CA everything is nice and smooth.... for the chassis as I had a few different chassis in different thickness for testing... Almost all of them are slightly twisted even before I mount anything on it..... One of the worst one is the one that came with my kit. Before I even CA the edge I place it on my setup board with the rear end flat on the board. The Front is around 4mm twisted...... And the other 2 chassis I got when I purchase the kit were twisted too...... It got so bad I was checking my setup board and make sure it is not twisted....
three chassis tweaked with nothing mounted...I think the problem is your setup board
minilantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #2104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minilantern View Post
three chassis tweaked with nothing mounted...I think the problem is your setup board
I'd have to agree, probably bust out a straight edge and do some measuring on the chassis and the board before you bake the xmas cookie chassis.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #2105
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I'd have to agree, probably bust out a straight edge and do some measuring on the chassis and the board before you bake the xmas cookie chassis.

Sorry , but I have to say , look at Serpent production , 3 different drivers in Denmark with same problem , on 3 different setup boards.
HB-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:50 AM   #2106
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-forever View Post
Sorry , but I have to say , look at Serpent production , 3 different drivers in Denmark with same problem , on 3 different setup boards.
i only know 2 that have had a twisted chassis and they have been given new chassis, as far as im informed.

Steven
Nosram Comet HD ESC.
Nosram Pure 2 evolution Motor.
StevenOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #2107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesReilly View Post
I've joined with Team Serpent this year, which was a pretty easy choice after 6 batteries the S411 was right on pace with the lap times other guys have been racing on for two weeks, that was my first time on that layout, to say the least I was impressed.

James
WOW!!!! this team keeps getting better and better. With James and Martin coming over these cars are just going to keep getting better and better.

I had the exact same results as you did when I switched to serpent. my 2nd pack in the car I already hit hotlap on the track and it was my first time back in touring car in almost a year. I'm coming from the xray to the serpent and finding it to be easier to drive. Welcome to the team.

-DC-
Old 12-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #2108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
I wondered if that was what was going on...just like my old tamiya 416. Thanks Steve for this info and your comments above. Cheers mate.
Congrats on your new ride Martin! I spoke with you at the last Novak Race in Wisconsin Scotty had many years ago! You were running Tamiya back then. Pm me if your Xray is for sale!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #2109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Congrats on your new ride Martin! I spoke with you at the last Novak Race in Wisconsin Scotty had many years ago! You were running Tamiya back then. Pm me if your Xray is for sale!
He sold his xrays already. This is his last weekend with them.

We both had TOPs, then he went to xray, I finally buy an xray and he switches to serpent. I'm starting to think he just doesn't want to run the same car as me

Congratulations Martin. Don't think that I won't still be bugging you for advice
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #2110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
He sold his xrays already. This is his last weekend with them.

We both had TOPs, then he went to xray, I finally buy an xray and he switches to serpent. I'm starting to think he just doesn't want to run the same car as me

Congratulations Martin. Don't think that I won't still be bugging you for advice
You could always switch to the Serpent, just don't tell Martin
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #2111
Tech Rookie

I tried today 2.5mm and 2.25mm chassis plates on medium grip carpet track. 2.5mm felt better on chicane and steering was sharper. 2.25 felt smoother on corners and steering response was slower. Best lap time was 0,1s faster with 2,5mm.
valtsu23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #2112
Tech Rookie

Default 13.5 gearing

Geting back into touring car after a long time got my self a s411 i am going to be using a 13.5 motor with a lrp stockspec esc. What sort of gearing am i look at for a indoor carpet track medium in size
jon may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #2113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 185 (100%+)
Thumbs up

I just bought the 2011 Serpent S411 Limited Edition kit. Also got a Tekin Redline 17.5 motor/esc combo as well. Going to be running on carpet next year and would like to get it ready to go. If anyone has any suggestions/opinions for setup, pinions, lipos, wheels etc that would help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dangerous_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #2114
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesReilly View Post

James
Congrats James - I did not know that!!! Looking forward to working together on setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2802 View Post
WOW!!!! this team keeps getting better and better. With James and Martin coming over these cars are just going to keep getting better and better.

I had the exact same results as you did when I switched to serpent. my 2nd pack in the car I already hit hotlap on the track and it was my first time back in touring car in almost a year. I'm coming from the xray to the serpent and finding it to be easier to drive. Welcome to the team.

-DC-
Thanks DC. Can't wait to get my car and lay down some laps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
You could always switch to the Serpent, just don't tell Martin
LOL!

By the way Dave L, you found me out soon I see a serpent in your future
Old 12-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #2115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Crisp View Post
By the way Dave L, you found me out soon I see a serpent in your future

Well I do like the limited edition version, for some reason.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote