R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #1936
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Hi.

You do nothing wrong. The anti roll bar is a little short for the mounting on the front side of the rear wishbone. The upright links has to lean back as you write. I know, that Marc Fischer always use that mounting, and his car looks really great, when he drives. So you see it works.

I have written to Serpent about this, and they will in the future make the anti roll bar slightly longer to fix this little problem.

If you don't like this mounting, you can maybe try the anti roll bar from a Tamiya 416/417 or similar. I think it is the front one. They are almost identicall to the Serpent ones, only the arms of the Tamiya ones are a bit longer and should solve your problem.
Great - Thanks for letting me know.
JamieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #1937
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieV View Post
I am trying to use the alternative rear roll bar position on the wishbone and have the parts. The roll bar just dosen't seem long enough as the roll bar upright links have to lean backwards to fix onto the roll bar. Any one using this position that can advise what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
V1 anti roll bar is long, but V2's is short. Marc fischer use V1's.
xtaiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #1938
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaiji View Post
V1 anti roll bar is long, but V2's is short. Marc fischer use V1's.
They're no V1 or V2 Stabilizers available.

Serpent shortens only the Stabilizers because they were to long for the Front - so they shorten all stabilizers, not only the ones for the front...

They don't think about the mounting position in the rear while they shorten the stabilizers, now they're selling long stabilizers again.

Marc Fischer NEVER used the stock stabilizer position in the rear, he used from starting the long stabilizer.

He droves sometimes my car on practice and it felts similar to his car, we always drive 80-100% similar setups ... and i'm using short stabilizer in the rear.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #1939
Tech Adept

the set up sheet said that I can use one way in the front...I want to give it a try
but where can I get the one way?
minilantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #1940
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post

Serpent shortens only the Stabilizers because they were to long for the Front - so they shorten all stabilizers, not only the ones for the front...

They don't think about the mounting position in the rear while they shorten the stabilizers, now they're selling long stabilizers again.

Marc Fischer NEVER used the stock stabilizer position in the rear, he used from starting the long stabilizer.

He droves sometimes my car on practice and it felts similar to his car, we always drive 80-100% similar setups ... and i'm using short stabilizer in the rear.
Hi #iZzy,

Do you guys always run the LTC body? How is the handling compare to speed6 with combination of you and Fischer setup?
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #1941
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Hi #iZzy,

Do you guys always run the LTC body? How is the handling compare to speed6 with combination of you and Fischer setup?
Hi !

Marc was running the LTC-R everytime on his Corally because the Corally have much less steering as the Serpent S411.

First time, Marc was using the LTC-R on his S411 too, because he was 100% sure this is the best body for him. I tried always to explain him that the Speed 6 should be the better way, but Marc is Marc

Don't know why, but especially for the german nationals the LTC-R was outdoor a lot better then the Speed 6 for Marc and for me, too. This explains why Ronald Völker or Marc Rheinard etc. used the LTC-R aswell on this Track, it was definitive better.

But now for indoor season Marc gets more practice with his new ride and tried a few more things and currently the Speed 6 is his favourite bodyshell. The feeling of the Speed6 is softer and the car is easier to drive but NOT slower then with the LTC-R.

Marc also beats the local track record in Modified by 0,2s. He droves a 16,2 with CPX Tires and the old track record was 16,4 with Sorex 28R driven by Ronald Völker.

So, our experience is that the Speed 6 is easier to drive and first choice on carpet, even if high grip or low grip - it should be the best balanced body for carpet racing. Speed 6 performs good on asphalt, too - sometimes we choice LTC-R if we need a bit more Steering or if enough rear traction is available.

Last weekend i had an race on indoor high grip asphalt. My S411 has there enough traction and i need a bit more steering around a chicane, so i tried LTC-R and car was better.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #1942
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi !

Marc was running the LTC-R everytime on his Corally because the Corally have much less steering as the Serpent S411.

First time, Marc was using the LTC-R on his S411 too, because he was 100% sure this is the best body for him. I tried always to explain him that the Speed 6 should be the better way, but Marc is Marc

Don't know why, but especially for the german nationals the LTC-R was outdoor a lot better then the Speed 6 for Marc and for me, too. This explains why Ronald Völker or Marc Rheinard etc. used the LTC-R aswell on this Track, it was definitive better.

But now for indoor season Marc gets more practice with his new ride and tried a few more things and currently the Speed 6 is his favourite bodyshell. The feeling of the Speed6 is softer and the car is easier to drive but NOT slower then with the LTC-R.

Marc also beats the local track record in Modified by 0,2s. He droves a 16,2 with CPX Tires and the old track record was 16,4 with Sorex 28R driven by Ronald Völker.

So, our experience is that the Speed 6 is easier to drive and first choice on carpet, even if high grip or low grip - it should be the best balanced body for carpet racing. Speed 6 performs good on asphalt, too - sometimes we choice LTC-R if we need a bit more Steering or if enough rear traction is available.

Last weekend i had an race on indoor high grip asphalt. My S411 has there enough traction and i need a bit more steering around a chicane, so i tried LTC-R and car was better.

Hello #iZzy,

Could you post what Marc's current carpet setup is, or even your own carpet setup. I have only driven my Serpent on asphalt so far, but will now be doing carpet only for the next several months.

Thanks,
Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #1943
Tech Adept

Quote:

That's what I mean. V1 = long, v2 = short.
xtaiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:01 AM   #1944
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi iZzy,

Thanks for your info.

I'm doing good with speed6, but as you said I will get a LTC-R for a bit of testing..

Are you guys still running 2mm shims in front of rear arms only? I can imagine heaps of steering from you and Marc setup + LTC-R
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #1945
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

you guys should try out the Blitz S5.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #1946
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Hello #iZzy,

Could you post what Marc's current carpet setup is, or even your own carpet setup. I have only driven my Serpent on asphalt so far, but will now be doing carpet only for the next several months.

Thanks,
Steve
Look at the setup sheets on serpent.com, setup sheets are very similar for carpet. Sure, im driving very similar to Marc but i think that's not interesting for other serpent drivers because only international top drivers are interesting so look at his sheets, i can only help and answer upcoming questions :>

We still need to test some things, we wanna try some different springs, too. Currently we use Ride Springs (ONLY me and Marc), HPI feels slightly different, more feel for the car.

Still need some testing with serpent's own springs, but a lot of german teamdrivers use them successfull. Tamiya Springs are an option which we wanna test, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
Hi iZzy,

Thanks for your info.

I'm doing good with speed6, but as you said I will get a LTC-R for a bit of testing..

Are you guys still running 2mm shims in front of rear arms only? I can imagine heaps of steering from you and Marc setup + LTC-R
No, this is an mistake in the manual. The S411 basic Setup is with 4mm in front of rear arms, because 2mm have a lot of steering. Outdoor, i used 4mm but Marc tested a bit around and went back to 2mm - he can handle this, it was crazy on the nationals On Carpet we use normaly 3mm/3mm or 4mm/2mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
you guys should try out the Blitz S5.
Tried that body already and it feels like a combination between speed6 and LTC-R, but definitive more agile and ways more direct. It was good for tight tracks with 180° curves or chicanes, but thats all. For oll other Tracks i definitive prefer the Speed6.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #1947
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

#iZzy, do you have a good setup for high grip asphalt? The track where I'm racing now has very high levels of traction, so much that I have developed a problem with traction rolling. I have tried all the normal setup changes to get rid of it but nothing thus far seems to work. My next option is to glue the front tires (Sweep 40's). I hate doing this because to me it makes the car feel inconsistent....any thoughts?
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:30 AM   #1948
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If anyone is interested in trading their low-use S411 for a low-use Tamiya 417, please send me a PM. I have a mint 417 that I am looking to switch for a 2nd S411. Thanks.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #1949
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
#iZzy, do you have a good setup for high grip asphalt? The track where I'm racing now has very high levels of traction, so much that I have developed a problem with traction rolling. I have tried all the normal setup changes to get rid of it but nothing thus far seems to work. My next option is to glue the front tires (Sweep 40's). I hate doing this because to me it makes the car feel inconsistent....any thoughts?
try posting your setup :-) its much easyer to help from that
Nosram Comet HD ESC.
Nosram Pure 2 evolution Motor.
StevenOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #1950
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I saw that teacher was trying to create a new wiki page about the Serpent S411 on racerlog but ran into would trouble. I've grabbed the content he posted up at http://racerlog.com/wiki/Serpent_S411
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote