R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #1606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexVegaz View Post
not sure exactly which one id be running, so it would help to have both boosted & non?

roughly 50x100 ozite on plywood subfloor
i would guess a starting point would be,

non boosted- 4.0fdr (39/78 or 40/81 to start with)
boosted- 6.0fdr (26/78 or 27/81 to start with)

you will probably have to try different pinion/spur setups to make sure there is enough adjustability in the motor mount to fit the different size gears. in non boosted i would get a smaller spur to give you more adjustability using smaller pinions.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #1607
Tech Regular

Thanks Low. now when you calculate for the FDR, do u include the internal ratio too?
VexVegaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #1608
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Any tips to loosen up the turnbuckles ? I've screwed the links on a few times also with grease but there still very hard to turn. Everytime I try and adjust them they normally pop off, getting annoying now
When tightening or loosening the turnbuckle, inserting a 2mm driver or allen key in the ball-head through the turnbuckle will stop them from popping off. I usually do this with the outermost ball heads and have not had any problems.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #1609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks Low. now when you calculate for the FDR, do u include the internal ratio too?
Vex get a 112. 110. And 108 spur for boosted.
Phil Trotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #1610
Tech Regular

is that 64p, phil?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #1611
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Quote:
yes, for example:

78 spur/39 pinion = 2.0 gear ratio X 2.0 internal ratio = 4.0fdr
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #1612
Tech Regular

Thanks Low...

BTW my son sent me a txt of what came in the mail...im officially a proud owner of this fine piece of machine.

also, manual said to apply ca glue around the chassis, do i need to sand it down first? if so, what grit sand paper should i use?

still waiting on charger, psu, spares, and tool set.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #1613
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you can apply glue to the side all the chassis i have owned i never have and it has not caused me priblem at all...

welcome to owning a great car
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #1614
Tech Regular

well the build is delayed...got home, opened the box, diff oil bag was leaking, and bag number 4 is missing

contacted absolutehobbyz.com about the issue and waiting on the reply.

EDIT: bag 4 was inside after all, bag 4a was in sides and from lookin at the bag i thought it was bag 4a, and didnt realized 4a was in side bag 4, so duh...
Old 11-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #1615
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to mild seven

When I glue the edges of the chassis I glue and sand using wet n dry a couple of times to get a smooth finish but 1 layer is fine. If you dont glue the edges the carbon can splinter in a crash.
mild seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #1616
Tech Regular

Thanks Mild, would you happen to remember the grit of the wet/dry sand paper you used?

For RC TShirts and Custom Sponsor Shirts & Hoodies, Please Visit www.veytrex.com
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #1617
Tech Apprentice

My ballcups did get loose as well. I lined them with CA glue but a month later loose again. I'll try that Saran wrap trick. At least it's free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Sorry don't have that problem. I can tell you that if its because the ball links are too loose do the plastic over the ball trick. I used to use plastic bags for this but sometimes the mil is too thick, so now I use saran wrap, which is thinner. If I do it and its still too loose I will double the wrap and try again. If still too loose I will triple it. The nice thing about the saran wrap besides being thinner is when you pop the link on it almost every time cuts the plastic so you don't have to do any trimming.
www.drcrc.ca
www.fastcats.ca
Jinjiro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #1618
Tech Apprentice

I use 400 wet/dry. Then 600. I sand it underwater. I also sand the shock towers to take the edge off.

Quote:
Thanks Mild, would you happen to remember the grit of the wet/dry sand paper you used?
www.drcrc.ca
www.fastcats.ca
Jinjiro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 AM   #1619
Tech Elite

Finished building it today and sort of mini tested it at the track before dark. First impression, as most of you guys found out, very tail happy on power out of corners. I didn't expect it to be that bad and I m really worried now, I know I will work it out and hopefully can get rid of it by end of this weekend coz I ll have a race this Sunday.

Few questions:

1. I was using basic asphalt set up (not the kit set up) that I found on petit r/c, with the exception of ride height, I was using 7mm at the rear and 6.5mm at the front (our track is very bumpy and I m also trying to save the chassis from scrapping). Now, with the usual droop of 6mm at the front and 5mm at the rear (from set up sheet) how much of chassis lift value is it actually? I just want to transfer the value with my current ride height setting.

2. My car I think is a V1, came with 2.5mm low deck and no spur gear. When I finish building it I felt the car is too stiff (compare to my other previous cars). Is this one of the reason its very tail happy on power? I have ordered the 2.25mm chassis and should be here by early next week. Having said this anybody has experimented cutting maybe some holes especially at the rear (maybe behind the motor and the batt? kind of like BD5's chassis) or will removing some top deck screws (rear)provide some flex and improve the rear grip.

3. Can you guys list me a step by step on what to do next to improve the rear grip on power. So far what I m thinking of doing are:
-to remove both the rear 1mm bracket shims
-set the front droop to get more on power weight transfer to the rear (pls provide me chassis lift value)
- softer rear spring ( I have White springs on order as well as some HPI springs which usually work with all my previous cars)
- maybe trying a thicker diff oil coz I think it unloaded easily during cornering and make the car look like it did not want to straighten up.
- wait for my 2.25mm chassis and hopefully it will improve the handling drastically.

FYI I tested my car using Much More 36 tyres with 7.5t motor mildly boosted. My local track is parking lot asphalt with medium grip.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #1620
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Looking for a s411 that is used that I can get for my fiance to use instead of buying another brand new car. if anyone has a car they are looking to sell i'm interested in getting one...

Thanks,
-DC-
smitty2802 is offline   Reply With Quote