Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lots of money = champion??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Practice, practice, practice.... the more the better. When you start having dreams about driving cars, you are getting close to practicing enough.

Rookie,

Where do you race here in Illinois?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Yes money absolutely = champion

because not only does money = best gear, money also = time spent to earn it, which also = time you could've spent at the track driving

Therefore, money = champion
Old 08-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by kufman
Practice, practice, practice.... the more the better. When you start having dreams about driving cars, you are getting close to practicing enough.

Rookie,

Where do you race here in Illinois?
Tinley Park Raceway (www.chicagolandrc.com)

Indoor carpet, RSJ and AJ.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

My son recently became the U14 British TC stock champion. His kit is good, but not the best. Cells are 18-24 months old unmatched 3300 (well... matched by me on a pro-trak, but not bought as matched sets). The motor he ran for the event is about 6 months old, but is a good one which I have maintained. He does have a good ESC and the car is the original Xray Evo2 (pivot ball, haven't paid to upgrade to C-hub) and the only mod to the car is the addition of the rear roll centre bridge, still runs stock white springs all round etc.

I must admit I did change brushes each run, but those brushes are now being used for his other racing.

So nothing "special" in the kit section, so how did he win on a track he never visited before? The previous day was open practice, and seeing as both his brother and I race as well, we had access to lots of cells and several motors (and cars)... over the course of 5 hours he did 13 runs, each with a slight change to the setup, some worked, some didn't, but by pack 10 we had a setup wich worked for him. He'd also learnt the track so on raceday it was just a question of which compound of tyre to use, based on the track temp.

The secret is practice and a methodical approach to setup. He didn't break any lap records, that went to the U17 class winner who had the sponsors and top equipment
Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: lots of money = champion??

Originally posted by gigi
I'm still new in EP, but a word from a fellow racer from my track really strike me, he said in "order to be competitive in EP, you got to have the best and maybe the latest technology around"!! is it true? Any opinion or experience?
That guy, straight up...is a dick!

I've been running unmatched cells (GP3300's) and a used electronics for MONTHS and the only reason I'm not winning the A main is cause I'm not quite there yet! (atleast I made the A) Setup and Driver Skill are VERY IMPORTANT!

Like any other form of racing their are ways around cost, but that's where dedication and motivation come in. You have to learn as much as possible to eek out every performance potential for what you have, then be motivatied enough to never quit and keep putting your car on the track. In the end its not about what the other person has in their pit, its what is going on in your head.
I agree strongly
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Man, I just calculated how much I've spent on this hobby and it's close to 1500$ now.

I've got a car, radio, 3 batteries, a charger, power supply, and tires. And it's cost me THAT much!!!

All the parts, all the tools, they really add up.

I'm not sure I WANT to spend more than 2000$ a year on this hobby. I thought it was going to be cheap fun, ya know?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes money is required to be one of the best.

You may be able to progress and get better, but the better you get you will start to notice that you are slower and cant get as good of a setup. Some(not all) tracks have awsome drivers, and they all finish in the a main seconds from eachother. This is when money becomes a factor. If you loose a couple feet each time on the strait, that could come to be 100ft at the end of the race which is about 5 seconds worth of time. It takes money for the best batteries, variety of motors, variety of tires, and other various stuff. These days, many of the better drivers will have 10+ motors which adds up to over $300, not to mention another $500 for 10 decent battery packs.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

NO !!!!!!.....It does help but a while back a guy by the name of Chris Bing TQ'ed and WON the Modified Off-Road nationals in 1996 I beleive... with NO SPONSORS and without ANY help from ANY other manufactuer. It was in Pittsburg Penn. and yes EVRYONE was there: Kinwald, Francis, Hodapp, Amezcuea, Hodge, Drake EVERYONE and he seemed to do it. SO I would have to disagree with Money = Champions...it does help ALOT but it does not always mean it wins...

just my$.02

-EG
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Default money=champion maybe/maybe not

i do/dont think its take money to be a really great driver.but i no a guy that comes to the track with only stuff taht he needs an hes the fastest expert/stock driver there,but he's been racin for more than 10yrs.not like some people they come to the track with a sh*t load an dont use 1/3 of it (no offense to u guyz) an they dont even make top 3 a-main position. so yes an no i think it takes alot of money to get better.i guess just depends on your drivin/practice. my 2cents

Steven
Old 08-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I agree,
a good RC car isn't that expensive.

A good motorcycle racebike probably costs 500,000$

not 5000$
Old 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Off-road is a notable exception... Anyone remember a kid named Darrin Jendreas? Even though he was sponsored, he ran a box stock b3, no titanium, no graphite. No special batteries or motors, yet he could keep up with anyone in the midwest.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Eddie Garrison
NO !!!!!!.....It does help but a while back a guy by the name of Chris Bing TQ'ed and WON the Modified Off-Road nationals in 1996 I beleive... with NO SPONSORS and without ANY help from ANY other manufactuer. It was in Pittsburg Penn. and yes EVRYONE was there: Kinwald, Francis, Hodapp, Amezcuea, Hodge, Drake EVERYONE and he seemed to do it. SO I would have to disagree with Money = Champions...it does help ALOT but it does not always mean it wins...

just my$.02

-EG
First off, you are talking about offroad which doesnt require as good of batteries as on-road, and second, that was 8 years ago and technology has changed. Just because he wasnt sponsored, doesnt mean he didnt spend a lot of money. I know plenty of people that are not sponsored and have thousands of dollars worth of stuff.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

sorry man...didnt mean to press anyones buttons....just proving a point in racing in genral....the guys original posy to my knowledge did NOT specify that we were only speaking of on-road....sorry bro....just saying driving plays more into it than money.....

-EG
Old 08-13-2004, 02:15 PM
The Evicerator

I think people forget alot of the time that sponsored drivers get lots of $$ in equipment because they're good... not the other way around

But yeah, it does take alot of equipment/$$ to do well... that's what happens... you use stuff up in racing... *shrug*
Old 08-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can have the best equipment money can buy and still be a bad driver. You have to be able to drive the car to be a champion................ You can't just show up with a trailor full of crap and just expect to win because it costs the most. You still have to actually drive the car around the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.