Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GTX

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 02:54 AM
Tech Master

What optional schottky diode is this ?

We run our GTXs with just the supplied capacitor and 8 turn mod motors in very hot weather. Are we doing something wrong ?

I do run a schottky diode on my motors. Always have done.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Master

In any situation, a schottky diode will improve performance. Regardless if the ESC "needs" it or not, it will help. When you run extreme applications, or want to have the best performance possible, you can and should run a schottky. No it's not needed, but yes it will help. Same thing goes for multiple power capaciors. You don't need to run more then one, but it will always be benificial. We just try to make it obviouse it's a good thing to run these items regardless of if you need them or not. Manuals are not an easy thing to write, at the time of release, we thought it made good sense. Obviously there is never a perfect explanation that is clear to everyone.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 10-23-2004, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Talking

Charlie,
Thanks for fixing my GT7, I just got it back. The GTX is the bomb and it goes perfect with a purple pro 4.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love the GTX, fits in at home on my Xray. Can't wait to see how it performs in my next race.

John
Old 10-26-2004, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is it possible to zip tie the power capacitor directly to the GTX like the GT7 was capable of doing? I don't really want to tape it to the chassis of my T4. It doesn't seem like it would be that stable there.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

While looking at the recent pics from the Worlds. I noticed that the drivers using the GTX. Tosolini, J. Scott ,& maybe R. Burch. Had something extra soldered to their esc's. What is this? looks like an extra diode soldered. Is it the one that Novak uses on their GT7?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by dasupacat
While looking at the recent pics from the Worlds. I noticed that the drivers using the GTX. Tosolini, J. Scott ,& maybe R. Burch. Had something extra soldered to their esc's. What is this? looks like an extra diode soldered. Is it the one that Novak uses on their GT7?
Its a Extra Novak Schottky. Its either the 26 amp or the 36 amp which im not sure is out yet .
Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 PM
JCB
Tech Addict

Has anyone had this problem with their GTX??

Every time my car either gets hit by another car or if I hit a corner I lose my power. The ESC has to be turned back off/on again. Or it takes a few seconds for ESC to respond then I'm able to hit the throttle again. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, this has only happened once I switched to a GTX from a GT7.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a question for you guys running a GTX (or other current ESC), who also have experience with Novak's older speed controls:

Switching from a Cyclone, to a GTX, or QC2, etc, is there really a noticeable difference?

I've been running Cyclones for years, and don't really see any reason to switch because I'm perfectly happy with them, but I am interested to hear the perspective of racers who are running current ESC's.

josh
Old 11-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Speedo
Here's a question for you guys running a GTX (or other current ESC), who also have experience with Novak's older speed controls:

Switching from a Cyclone, to a GTX, or QC2, etc, is there really a noticeable difference?

I've been running Cyclones for years, and don't really see any reason to switch because I'm perfectly happy with them, but I am interested to hear the perspective of racers who are running current ESC's.

josh
Indeed a very good question!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Master

Hey Guys,
The GTX is almost a total redesign. The Cyclones were more refinements as we went, with the GT7 being a small step towards something totally new. The GTX is totally new from the ground up. It only uses the same Bullet proof BEC from the GT7/Cyclones. I'd say most have reported they've noticed it's more responisve and smoother, that statement doesn't make complete sense, but I think they are try to describe that it is more Linear, that is what I noticed. Some people don't notice when their stuff is setup wrong, so I can't say you'll notice a huge difference, but noones yet to report they preffer the GT7 or Cyclone over the GTX.

As for the Shut down at contact problem, you might just have a bad switch. I've had 2 team drivers report similar problems, with contact causing the system to shut down, no motor no steering. The switches were the culprit, after they replaced them everything has been working 100%.

Many of our team drives will run the Heavy Duty Schottky Diode when they run Front Diffs or Locked Spool/Diffs, to help keep the brakes more consistant and help keep the ESC cooler. We were using the Heavy Duty Motor Module at the worlds. Some drivers put them on the motors directly, others on the wires, it's best to put them directly on the motor. When every little bit counts they all run them. I think many of the fastest drivers using any brand of ESC were using large power caps, and large schottky diodes. I gave out many to Non-Novak drivers as well.

Thanks
Charlie

Don't forget you can always Email us directly--- [email protected]
Old 11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Charlie,

No offence here mate but.... Since you are a rep for Novak we can't see your answer to our question as being objective. Since you work for Novak it is not your place to say anything bad about Novak products.
Don't get me wrong here, i've been using Novak ESC's and chargers for about 12 years now and never had a problem with them that wasn't caused by me being stupid (running the car in the rain). But i would realy like the question answered by everyday racers like me.

Best Regards
Roy
Old 11-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hardriven- I see your point, but I can tell you, Charlie will always give you the honest truth as a RACER. He's a racer before anything. I haven't run a GTX yet and probably won't since I'm supposed to be running another brand now (won't mention them since I'm in a Novak thread) but I know many racers with no vested interest in Novak that have noticed a huge difference in the way the GTX drives compared to the older Novaks.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Good point, I was thinking I was just trying to provide some information. Not knocking anyone's products or saying ours is better even. But you're right, racers views would be great to hear as well. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

As for the Shut down at contact problem, you might just have a bad switch. I've had 2 team drivers report similar problems, with contact causing the system to shut down, no motor no steering. The switches were the culprit, after they replaced them everything has been working 100%.

Ive also noticed that the GTX switch is a lot more easy to turn off and on compared to the older small switch. wrong placement during a crash can turn the switch off so I made sure to place it in a good spot on the chassis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.