Wiki Posts
Search

TC4 for beginners

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TC4 for beginners

Hello group,
New comer (for my son actually) and I have a few beginner questions I'm hoping a few of you can help me with. My son wants to race at the track at our local hobby shop and I brought him a TC4 RTR to start doing this. He has rustler vxl and stampede vxl already and he is use to that kind of power.

When he gave his new car a whirl, I could see he was very disappointed in the speed and heck, I know that car's response won't cut if he plans on racing on the track. So my question is this GENERALLY speaking, what is the best entry level brushless/ESC combo to get my son without dropping tons a money in. I just want to get him competitive generally speaking. He loves to race, video games, etc.., but he is a tad spoiled and can not appreciate money that well. He is a good kid, does everything he suppose to, but at the same time, I'm not trying to blow money on something he will in the long run he may get bored with. So I'm looking for suggestions, ideals, general help that will get him competitive. Ideally, I will buy him a tool kit so he can work on it, make adjustments, etc so that he can feel apart of the whole racing scene.

Other questions:

1. What does boosted and non-boosted mean and is this clearly marked if i buy a motor and ESC combo.

2. IN TC4 world/ 1/10th class, how do I know what motor will fit when ordering from online, etc...

3. Sensored, non-sensored and what's the definitive difference?

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here for him.
I want to start ordering his upgrade parts asap, but I need someone point me into the right direction in terms of upgrade.

My prospective upgrade schedule:
1. ESC/Motor - associated lipo batteries
2. steering servo
3. 2.4ghz transmitter

Any suggestions, comments, etc.. would be helpful. If this is a repeat question, please point me in the right direction if possible.

Thanks again,
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jayvion
Hello group,
New comer (for my son actually) and I have a few beginner questions I'm hoping a few of you can help me with. My son wants to race at the track at our local hobby shop and I brought him a TC4 RTR to start doing this. He has rustler vxl and stampede vxl already and he is use to that kind of power.

When he gave his new car a whirl, I could see he was very disappointed in the speed and heck, I know that car's response won't cut if he plans on racing on the track. So my question is this GENERALLY speaking, what is the best entry level brushless/ESC combo to get my son without dropping tons a money in. I just want to get him competitive generally speaking. He loves to race, video games, etc.., but he is a tad spoiled and can not appreciate money that well. He is a good kid, does everything he suppose to, but at the same time, I'm not trying to blow money on something he will in the long run he may get bored with. So I'm looking for suggestions, ideals, general help that will get him competitive. Ideally, I will buy him a tool kit so he can work on it, make adjustments, etc so that he can feel apart of the whole racing scene.

Other questions:

1. What does boosted and non-boosted mean and is this clearly marked if i buy a motor and ESC combo.

2. IN TC4 world/ 1/10th class, how do I know what motor will fit when ordering from online, etc...

3. Sensored, non-sensored and what's the definitive difference?

I'm hoping you guys can help me out here for him.
I want to start ordering his upgrade parts asap, but I need someone point me into the right direction in terms of upgrade.

My prospective upgrade schedule:
1. ESC/Motor - associated lipo batteries
2. steering servo
3. 2.4ghz transmitter

Any suggestions, comments, etc.. would be helpful. If this is a repeat question, please point me in the right direction if possible.

Thanks again,
I don't really have a detailed answer for everything, but I can tell you that boosted ESC's are ones that can alter the timing of how they energize the motor's coils, & by advancing the timing, a motor can gain top end speed, but lose some efficiency & low speed torque(& if overdone, can burn up a motor, it's really meant for more experienced racers). But getting a ESC with boost can still be good, as it can be adjusted to suit the driver very well(especially if you have someone at the track who can help with adjusting them). But really, the best thing to do is talk to the guys at your local track first, so you can get an idea of what they're using & can help you with(& if you intend him to race, to make sure that whatever you get for him will be alllowed in the class he'll be racing in.....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

Like Grizzbob said, go to the track and talk to the other drivers and see what classes and rules they have, that could dictate what motor and speedo you will want to get. Also run the car for a full 6 min and check the temp of the motor. If the temp is low, you can gain some more speed buy installing a larger pinion gear.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would get a tekin RS, sensored for on road is the way to go, the TC4 can be made to go fast you just have to know how....for the motors..he's just starting out so I would look at the 17.5's..most tracks start the novices out with that motor.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I would buy him a Novak 13.5 brushless and Havok combo... The newer style. In my opinion a 17.5 is to slow even for a beginner.

Then I would upgrade to the HIGH SPEED Savox servo

Followed by a Futaba 3pm-mx transmitter... Its cheap and very adjustable.

If it doesn't already have a Lipo just buy a Venom one.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Good day!

How can you recomend motor/esc combos without knowing track size? We just had a trophy race on our 36' x 80' carpet track. The 17.5 non boosted was just as fast (may be a little faster) lap times as the 13.5 boosted in the tc class.

Here is a link to some pictures from that race, the track pictures are at the end.

http://s738.photobucket.com/albums/x...k%202011%20CE/
Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

well i run a tc4 in 17.5 spec & vta...i run a gtb a novak ss 17.5 motor..the 17.5 spec class is ran @ 90% of the tracks in the u.s..( the rule are pretty much the same everywhere)..my other suggestion would be to get a good servo..(torque & speed)..i use the futaba s9551...lots of practice
hope this helps
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OMG !! It never ceases to amaze me that people will recommend this motor or that esc without knowing anything about where the driver is going to race or what class he/she might want to race in.
Follow the first couple of suggestions. Find out what the local scene is first. If multiple classes are offered, go watch first and see where your interest might be. On road is totally different than off road. 17.5,especially with open (timing adjustable) esc's is pretty darned fast. At the very least you will want to make sure he doesn't get angry and frustrated while he learns to drive and adjust a touring car. Just something I tell all of our new drivers..."speed doesn't mean a thing unless you can get it around the track" Good luck to You and your Son. I hope you both have FUN.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Oasis
I would get a tekin RS, sensored for on road is the way to go, the TC4 can be made to go fast you just have to know how....for the motors..he's just starting out so I would look at the 17.5's..most tracks start the novices out with that motor.
This is what I ended up getting. It was recommended at the track and I was able to get a huge discount via military discount with the company. I had my dad order it as he is military, he just gave it as a gift to his grandson. So now, I have the money i was going to use there to push over to the other things I would like to get him.
There are two tracks at the hobby shop, carpet and asphalt (outside, much bigger). Its a little cold now, so two sets of tires would be a concern right?

Steering servo (futaba 610s were suggested) and transmitter are my next concerns. Ideally, 2.4ghz with lcd adjustments, I do not really care about the quality of the brand vs it working. i'm trying to be frugal about this.