Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NiMH AA rechargables, 2300mAh!!! Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default NiMH AA rechargables, 2300mAh!!! Questions

I went to Target and bought an 8-pack of Energizer 2300mAh AA batteries for my radio. For 20$, this is great! I hate wasting all those alkaline batteries normally and just throwing them away.

One question I need to ask is: What is a safe charging rate for these guys? The Energizer website says they base their studies on a 230mA discharge. But this doesn't give me any charging information. I've read about NiMH chargers put out by Energizer to do anywhere from 4A to 100mA. I am doing 1A right now. I'll see if they get too hot.

All the batteries are just in my radio controller and I made a custom adapter to wire my radio recharge jack to my charger.

Being that these batteries are huge (2300mAh) I would like to know if I can bump up the charge current to 1 or 1.5A. Another guy on this forum said he's done it w/ success. But my search didn't turn up any other information.

Thanks in advance!
Donovan
Old 08-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I also use these cells for my transmitter and they work great.

I'm charging at one amp without problems and the cells are barely above room temp when they're done.

Rob
Old 08-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been charging mine at .7 amps and they get warm so I figure thats high enough. Thats when I'm not in a hurry though, if I am crunched for battery life in between races or something I do 1.5 for short periods of time. When time isn't an issue lower is probably better in the long run.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

To get more voltage and capacity, I usually charge my transmitter batteries at .5 amp.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

I'm charging and discharging Sanyo Twicell 2300 AA NiMh with 1,2 amps. Seems to work fine.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

How are the batteries set up when you guys charge them?? Do you have them in a special jig or something?? My mom wants to get rechargeables for her camera, (NimH) and I know that my 16x7 can do them, but what is the best way. One at a time or make something where 4 are linked in a "pack" and then charge them that way??
Old 08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go to LHs or Radio hack and buy a 4-cell battery holder and then just clip your charger leads to the contacts on the battery box.

This is how I charge the GP cells in my radio.

Originally posted by corvettecrazy
How are the batteries set up when you guys charge them?? Do you have them in a special jig or something?? My mom wants to get rechargeables for her camera, (NimH) and I know that my 16x7 can do them, but what is the best way. One at a time or make something where 4 are linked in a "pack" and then charge them that way??
Old 08-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

I have a recharge jack in my radio so I just built a plug and connected the other side to me charger.

bye
Old 08-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default u guys see the 2450mah!!!

2450 mah AA some off brand though i charge them at 1 also
Old 08-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i set my timer on my 3pj with freshly charged 1800mah AA's and let the thing go till it dumped. When i installed recharged cells the time had gone on for about 6 or 7 hours. With that said anything with over 2000mah is going to las for ever. One should really never need to charge at the track so a safe setting would be .5 to 1amp at home every 4 or 5 race days. More often if run nitro with long mains. Just to be safe
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

I got 1100 mAH in my KO Presto. Fully charged, they last for more than 12 hours...
Old 08-13-2004, 02:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You think that NiMh AAs are something.......I got 13 lithium ion AA batteries that I'm afraid to put in my radio, they are rated at 3.6 volts!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

I am bringing this tread back to prevent from making a new one.

I got some of the Energizer 2300mAh AA batteries at target also.

I am a COMPLETE noob when it comes to charging batteries so I need some help from those who are smarter than me.

battery type : NiMH
cell number: 4
battery capacity: is this per cell? so 2300??
charge current: 1 amp (since that is what some of you guys suggested)
discharge current: .3 amps?
peak adj: _ _ mV/C _ _ mV/P
cycle number: should matter if I am just charging but do you guys cycle every time they are used up?
delay time after charge : _ _ min ??
delay tme after discharge : _ _ min ??

i'm a complete newbie so any advice I would really appreciate.

if it would be easier for someone to talk over aim(or yahoo messenger) LMK and I will try to find a time that we can talk that works for you.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

im not smarter but i can help you with some of your q's

battery type : NiMH

cell number: 4

battery capacity: 2300 (yup, the mah of the individual cell )

charge current: 1 amp (i charge my 2100s at 1.5 amps but 1amp is fine - the lower charge rate is safer on your AAs)

discharge current: for AAs, i usually discharge the same rate i charge so 1.5 amps for me (since i charge at 1.5)

peak adj: 3mv/cell - i use the lowest cutoff in the CDC (which is 3mv/cell in nimh mode) since it rarely false peaks on me.

cycle number: (see note)
delay time after charge : (see note)
delay tme after discharge : (see note)

note: on my transmitter, i dont cycle after every use. for maintennance (though i doubt the batteries need this), i just cycle about once a month. but i dont use the cycle mode, i manually cycle the batteries - charge at 1.5, then after about an hour, discharge at 1.5. the next day, i charge again at 1.5 and its ready for use after peaking

since youre going to be using this in a digicam, i guess you dont have to cycle them. the camera has a low batt indicator, right? you can just charge them again at that point.

hope this helps
Old 08-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

I noticed my AA's got warm at 1A so I've been charging at 0.7A.

See ya,
Donovan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.