R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #241
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Ran mine for the first time friday night with a X12 (13.5t) and really liked it. I had the earlier Stock Spec but this V2 is much better and alot faster !

I started with the recommended setting 6.0fdr 3,2,3,0 but was to slow on the straight, then tried 3,3,5,0 and it was alot better on the staight but still a bit slow infield. Ended up gearing at 6.5 and 3,2,5,0 and was great.

It did feel like it was starting to fade later on through the night but I don't run a fan and I think this was because the motor may of still been a bit warm before the next heat, going to put a fan on between heats and I might even drop 'Feel' down to 1.

Great speedo easy to use with no need to have a laptop. I'll be getting another for my other car
didnt I see you in the GM threads?

how does it compare to the GM ?

thinking of changing
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #242
Tech Regular

Quote:
didnt I see you in the GM threads?

how does it compare to the GM ?

thinking of changing
Yeah, I have a GM75 in my other car but lately it's been playing up. Stalling a couple of times and last week put my car on the track and it was running in sensorless connected it up to the laptop and all of my settings had gone so had to reload it all

I would like to try my SS V2 outdoors before I buy another.

I really like the GM but it can be a pain and I don't understand half the settings, that's the nice thing with the LRP's easy to use no laptop required so I can tweak the car and not the speedo
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #243
Tech Adept

Default How does the current firwares stack up against the others out there

I have a hobbywing, with the latest firmware.

how doe the LRP stack up against the hobbywing, tekin, gm, black diamond, and orca?
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #244
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
Yeah, I have a GM75 in my other car but lately it's been playing up. Stalling a couple of times and last week put my car on the track and it was running in sensorless connected it up to the laptop and all of my settings had gone so had to reload it all

I would like to try my SS V2 outdoors before I buy another.

I really like the GM but it can be a pain and I don't understand half the settings, that's the nice thing with the LRP's easy to use no laptop required so I can tweak the car and not the speedo
sorry to interrupt an lrp forum again.

my gm went into sensorless mode too, and realized it was the adapter I had for the gm sensor wire.
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #245
Tech Initiate

S.A.W

I've been running the New LRP SS V2 Speedo with an X12 13.5 Motor in my Touring Car(Indoor Carpet) for quite some time now & found it Fantastic!

With the right Gearing & Settings I've found it to match the GM & Tekin on Performance(as well as having better low down Grunt & Superior Brakes!), that some of my Mates are running!

The first thing that I'd Recommend Purchasing for this Set-up, is either the LRP Radical or Nosram Hardcore Motor Heatsink/Fan Assembly, as I've found it to knock off around 15-20 Degrees of Temperature........so less chance of Overheating or Fade + allows the Speedo settings to be Increased slightly!

I briefly ran it on the Ver4.2 Software that it came with & found it to be pretty Quick, but I was very Limited on Increasing the 'Feel' & 'Boost' Settings, due to Excessive Heat of the Motor! On Ver4.2, I found that the Optimum/Limit was with the Feel on 2 & the Boost on 5, when it was Geared on the Recommended 6.0 & with 4Dot Timing(-10)on the Motor! This seemed to give very good Performance without any Fade!

Shortly after, I Updated my Speedo to the New 4.4 Software.........which I have to say has made a massive difference! It seems to give the same Performance on the same Settings as Ver4.2, but has Dropped my Motor Temperature down by nearly 30 Degrees!
Updating the Software to Ver4.4 is a 'Must' in my Opinion!!

Its since allowed me to drop my Gearing down to around 5.0 & Increase my 'Feel' & 'Boost' Speedo Settings from 2 & 5 to 3 & 9!........with NO Overheating issues or Fade! Its got Amazing Punch & Top Speed, yet still really Smooth! The way the Temperature is on my Motor, I could probably afford to go even Higher on the Boost Setting!

When using the X12 with the V2 SS Speedo, for best Performance :

1, Always use the X12 with the 4Dot Timing Insert(-10 Degrees)
2, Run a Motor Cooling Fan!(The New LRP & Nosram ones are very good)
3, ALWAYS run the X12 on the Speedo 'ODD' number 'Boost' settings(Slow Mapps).i.e 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 etc

Due to the Nature/High Torque of the X12 Motors, the 'EVEN' numbers(Fast Mapps)i.e 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 etc on the Boost Setting are'nt Recommended/Suitable!

Hope this helps!
Wacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #246
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Are you really gearing your X12 13.5 at 5.0 FDR? That seems very high. I'm running my X12 17.5 in a rubber tire sedan at 0,4,9,0 with the 4dot insert (v4.4) at a 6.33FDR and that seems like it's almost too much. It comes off around 130F with a giant fan wired straight to the battery blowing on it, and does fade just a bit.

I was never a big fan of the X12 motors before, but paired with this ESC, I'm a believer. The torque really snaps the car up to speed quickly in the infield, but it doesn't feel abrupt or upset the car like other boosted setups. The power delivery with this combo is so much better than what I was using before, it's hard to believe what we've been putting up with since the beginning of 2010.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #247
Tech Adept

I run my X12 13.5 on anything from 5.6 - 6 need to try a little lower by the looks of it!

Great combo :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Are you really gearing your X12 13.5 at 5.0 FDR? That seems very high. I'm running my X12 17.5 in a rubber tire sedan at 0,4,9,0 with the 4dot insert (v4.4) at a 6.33FDR and that seems like it's almost too much. It comes off around 130F with a giant fan wired straight to the battery blowing on it, and does fade just a bit.

I was never a big fan of the X12 motors before, but paired with this ESC, I'm a believer. The torque really snaps the car up to speed quickly in the infield, but it doesn't feel abrupt or upset the car like other boosted setups. The power delivery with this combo is so much better than what I was using before, it's hard to believe what we've been putting up with since the beginning of 2010.
008-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:29 AM   #248
Tech Regular

Thanks Wacker1

Do you run the fan from your rx or straight from the lipo ? I have one of the new LRP heatsink/fan but not tried it yet.

I was going to try Boost on 4 as I wanted to see if it would lower the temp a little and make it ramp up quicker than no.5 on the straight, but you think don't use the even number boost settings ?
S.A.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #249
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

I have converted a couple guys to the X-12 motors over other brands. We run 1/12 scale carpet onroad cars with single cell lipo for power. I suggested the single cell rotor in the X-12 motor and their combination came alive. By the way, they are using the Tekin speedo so that should demonstrate that the X-12 can be run successfully with other speed controls.

Having said the above, I want to mention that I am running the same motor with the LRP SXX Stock Spec V2 and am racing right along with my friends for the win.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #250
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post
I have mine fitted in to a 1/12th pan car but there is a very big difference.

using 4.2 settings were 0,4,5,0 and rollout of 48mm car was fast but very aggressive and motor was hot 88c

loaded 4.4 and settings changed dramatically 0,5,11,0 and rollout of 41.5 car was smoother and punchier and motor temps under 60c.

changing the punch setting to 4 and car was even smoother to drive but just felt it wasnt so fast. HTH.

Hi Tellan. I ran my 13.5 car again last night. My settings were 1,5,4,0. I was happy with the straight line speed and the acceleration. My rollout was 2.75 inches. Motor temp was 135 deg F. I was afraid to move to the higher boost profiles because I didn't think the track could handle it. I think these setting have a lot of potential.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #251
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Wacker1;8925095]Its since allowed me to drop my Gearing down to around 5.0 & Increase my 'Feel' & 'Boost' Speedo Settings from 2 & 5 to 3 & 9!........with NO Overheating issues or Fade! Its got Amazing Punch & Top Speed, yet still really Smooth! The way the Temperature is on my Motor, I could probably afford to go even Higher on the Boost Setting!QUOTE]

Running the SXX Stockspec V2 in a 1/12th with a X12 10.5t and 1s rotor, and as previously quoted by Tellan, we found the optimum settings to be 5 on mode 2 and 11 on mode 3 with a 41.5mm rollout. The team recommendation is a rollout of 48mm. Just in case you dont know about rollouts, to get 41.5mm, you need a smaller pinion, whereas for 13.5t TC, the recommended FDR is 6, you found the performance and temps better at 5, which is a bigger pinion.

Please dont think this is a critism, as its not, I'm just trying to understand how we found the total opposite in 1/12th with 1s Lipo to what you found in TC with 2s Lipo!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #252
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I thought the same thing, and then I read this and my mind was fully blown.....

How big was the LRP masters track?

Mike Slaughter

Eric Dankel, was even able to drive lap times that would have almost gotten him into the Modified A-Main aided by the combo of LRP SXX StockSpec Version 2 speedo and the prescribed LRP Vector X12 13.5T StockSpec motor. It was unbelievable following the performance of Eric. For all you guys who are interested in technical details, here’s a special treat for you straight from Eric: Speedo settings 3-4-7-1, 4dot timing on motor and gear-ratio of 5.0:1.
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #253
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Wow, that's crazy. How hot are they coming off? And are they having trouble with fading? My 17.5 comes off hot at 6.33.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #254
Tech Fanatic

From what I heard quite hot -> melting
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #255
Tech Addict

the track at the LRP race is pretty big... but Eric's motor actually wasn't that hot, it was in the range of 75°C after a 5min run (with a fan behind the motor).
I think all drivers at the LRP race, in the Open Stock class, ran similar to Eric's setup and geared 5.0 to 5.5:1.

It is actually possible that bigger gear (e.g. coming from 6.0:1 to 5.0:1) decreases motor temperature!