Search

New Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Whats a difuser?
Old 08-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

i made one like 3 or 4 years ago and it just gave the car to much bite . but if u can get it to work that would be awsome
Old 08-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a friend of mine made one in 88/89 for the back of his 12L not sure if it worked. he used the wing mount wholes on the pod plates to hold it up with piano wire. I think the weight of the thing gave it more downforce then the actual ground effects. plus with the CEFX and ascari bodies which have too much down force it's not a problem now adays. If you're talking Oval applications it might work but like said most track ban them. If your looking for a touring car version that won't work due to the distance under the chassis being 5 mill and then when you figure in droop it's another 2 to 4 mill. to work effectively it would have to be some type of fixed suppendsion for the most part. even 12th scale is 3 mill minmiun. think about the scale proportions of that compared to say a real F1 car. what's 3 mill and 5 mill compared to the ride height of a F1 car that runs titatium blocks so that it will not scrap the composite chassis.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

i have a mate in the aeronautical engineering buisness and after reading his article about diffusers i asked him if it would be possible to make one for my RC car. the problem is, because of how small the cars are. the underside would have to be flat. no holes in chassis. and also the huge gaps between the chassis and the bodyshell cause mega uneven random airflow. a diffuser needs a smooth airflow for it to take effect. not sure where his article is at the minute. will ask him if he has it still.

and yes the diffuser needs to be parrallel with the front of the chassis. meaning flat. so the rear of the chassis would have to be lifted at an angle for a diffuser to be fitted
Old 08-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Hmmm, has anyone seen a Tamiya F103 with the rear diffusers hop-op? Do they help with cleaning up the air flow, it's hard to tell, except it helps keep therocks out of the Spur gear.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Regional Moderator

It seems the best way to get one to work is to build a chassis with it included in the design so it will all be one piece. I knew that already but thought it would be possible to mount one and make it effective. Some people claims it will work despite the wholes in the chassis. I know away to make it work. You can close all the wholes on the bottom of the chassis, the engine and electronics can still have acess to cool air through the body. You can cut the air intakes open. I have seen people cut the grills out and put mesh screen behind them. You can rig up your own air ducts and the direct the air flow where you want it. To keep the air flow running through cut air wholes in the back of the body so the air coming in will not slow the car down. You dont really have to build a chassis with one incooperated in to the design to make it work. You just have to spend some time fit it to your chassis and line it up. It may work.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by nitrous36
I have seen people cut the grills out and put mesh screen behind them.
Again, not legal for racing. The rule book says no extra holes in the body.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Whats a difuser?
A flow passage in a wind tunnel that decelerates a stream of gas or liquid from a high to a low velocity.

Thank you Dictionary.com
Old 08-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by The Black Kat
Whats a difuser?
Look on the back of F1 cars. They have a sort of fins on the back.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Also on a lot of super cars.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
Look on the back of F1 cars. They have a sort of fins on the back.
Hmmm, the F201 has two fins in the chassis at the back of the car. Could this be a difuser?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Old 08-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

I didn't see anything at first but you have to look really closely. I thought that was the shadow, but its there.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

I do see those two black vertical fins.. that's a real F1 car right?. so does this fins also attached/visible to an F1 R/C?..
Old 08-07-2004, 09:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
No thats not the whole diffuser. Thats part of it. The rest of it isnt visible in the picture. But that looks like the back of an old Minardi.

Last edited by nitrous36; 08-07-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.