Wiki Posts
Search

HB TCX or TRF 417 or Xray T3 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AGNO
Perhaps Xray will also be strong, (my was not ...) but you certainly do not save money because Xray patterns change too quickly, making obsolete the model purchased a few months before.
I'm not even agree on the quality of plastic, ones of series have very little graphite inside.
Obsolete? This isn't really true, I mean the changes from kit to kit are very subtle. All the plastics including the arms, c hubs, rear hubs, steering knuckles, as well as the diffs and driveshafts (everything that would ever need replacing) is all the EXACT same over MANY models. As far as the quality of the parts, name ONE car manufacturer that has a better reputation for quality...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hana166

[...]

Xray doesn't feel as good handling but for sure it is fast. The new car is really fast. At the track every single driver I have seen get one goes faster and more consistent, simple as that.

[...]
I think there is some contradiction in there. If the car does not handle well, then it's difficult to explain the consistency improvement as speed does not bring that about.

From personal experience I can say that Xray cars are very versatile as far as tune up goes. You can tune it to be very aggressive as well as very docile. Tamiya cars are very easy to drive straight out of the box with kit setup. I would recommend a TRF any day to any beginner. Xrays are indeed aimed at those who have the time to try everything they want, and most of the time they will be the fastest (not because of the car alone though).

Finish of parts is comparable between the two. Perhaps Xray edges out in front a bit, having some of their machine parts chamfered around the edges, and a more positive feel in the fit. Plastics are all top grade, carbon has been somewhat reduced as hard suspension parts and the like tend to break unnecessarily in impacts where a softer plastic means you could just drive away without any problems. This is the case for both manufacturers (and plenty others too).

Personally I hate the balljoints Xray continues to supply with their cars. I hate the Tamiya's too. The Xray balls are rough, the Tamiya are sloppy. I replace all balljoints on my cars from box with yokomo items which are so perfectly fit they are the smoothest on the market (I have testeted Schumacher, AE, Losi, just about everything. They simply don't compare). Kawada come a close second here. Plus the ballcup plastics are soft, so they keep in shape for a long time even if you continue to pop them on and off and don't break.

Apart from this minor gripe, I think whichever car you buy, it will be a good investment. The initial higher purchase price of the Xray will quickly earn your respect when you realise that you need to buy another suspencion block for the TRF if you want to change your toe or roll center. One or two of those and you'll equal the price of the Xray. The Xray has another nice option (which I recommend be used). You can buy true CVD driveshafts (double articulation) which in my opinion are worth every penny. Tamiya is still lagging behind in offering this option on their cars, difficult to understand why. In my opinion this will soon be the norm in top-end onroad competition grade kits.

Another hairline edge Xray has is the well protected diffs. Not that big a deal, but keeps them smoother for longer. You can seal tamiya diffs too, but it takes a little bit more messing around (and expense if done properly). So there you go again, you need to spend some more money. On the other hand, built properly and sealed, tamiya's diffs are ever reliable. Ceramic balls are a worthy investment if you don't want to open them again in a hurry (valid for Xray too).

And so on.

Personally I have equal numbers of Tamiya and Xray cars (too many), and I would say there's very little in between them. For a die hard Tamiya fan, the advantage is that many parts carry over from one model to the next, or even over generations of cars. Xray changes substantially once every few years, so parts for the early cars are now getting thin on the ground and will eventually run out. Compared with this, I still have 10yo Tamiya cars which can use modern parts, no problem.

Go out, buy a car, enjoy it.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I think there is some contradiction in there. If the car does not handle well, then it's difficult to explain the consistency improvement as speed does not bring that about.
No. Many times the car does not feel good but laptimes say opposite. Of course it is handling well, but in your head its not so good. Sometimes car feels excellent, perfect, but slow!

TRF feels like it was made for me. But not always fastest. Overall I think xray is the best car but I don't fall in love them the same as Tamiya. Illogical but..each to their own
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I have tc6 and I like it very much.
It have more ackerman than tc5 and its very smooth to drive.
I recommend it!

Xray is easy driving but its not fast.
I dont have any experiance about HB
but I think Tamiya is the best of them.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

why don't we extend the comparation a little bit..
everyone i was talkin with about asian cars (tamiya and yokomo) the said the very same thing:
"they are easyer to drive and even faster compared with all the others"

there should be a part of these statement that is true...maybe not 100% but i think 70 % could be..
and i heard people who owns t3 trying trf saying that the car was more docile smoot easy but fast.

this is why i want try theme..and i m choosing between 417 and new bd5wr...
personally i like more yokomo even if the price is higher because it looks more accurate and precious to me. But i m not sure if it will worth the money compared withe the 417 which also is a wonderful car...so if someone should give me an advice i will be pleased.

btw i can talk about tc6..i had it, i liked it more in driving that in the materials quality.
it is fast and very responsive but plastics, alloy and other things are not as perfect and beautiful like on 417 or bd5...however it costs a lot less!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jackdani
there should be a part of these statement that is true...maybe not 100% but i think 70 % could be..
and i heard people who owns t3 trying trf saying that the car was more docile smoot easy but fast.

this is why i want try theme..and i m choosing between 417 and new bd5wr...
personally i like more yokomo even if the price is higher because it looks more accurate and precious to me. But i m not sure if it will worth the money compared withe the 417 which also is a wonderful car...so if someone should give me an advice i will be pleased.

I agree 100% TRF more docile than T3 but just as fast.

Its a beautiful car just don't crash it
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

Well ... all i can say now is thank you to everyone, and to those who wrote 999999 lines explaining the difference in the cars, thanks alot ;-)
I guess from what i understand, its mainly between trf and xray, my HB had a few problems so i thnk i might grt one of those 2 chassis, i wont get another chassis since very few people drive it at my local track and my lhs doesnt suply parts for them ...
My main concern, i have a few spare parts for my cyclone, which if i get another chassis, they wont be compatible , but are the cyckone parts/TCX the same ?
Thank you, il look into further details ;-)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Well ... all i can say now is thank you to everyone, and to those who wrote 999999 lines explaining the difference in the cars, thanks alot ;-)
I guess from what i understand, its mainly between trf and xray, my HB had a few problems so i thnk i might grt one of those 2 chassis, i wont get another chassis since very few people drive it at my local track and my lhs doesnt suply parts for them ...
My main concern, i have a few spare parts for my cyclone, which if i get another chassis, they wont be compatible , but are the cyckone parts/TCX the same ?
Thank you, il look into further details ;-)
Most of the Plastic parts and Suspension parts are the same, but the performance is a lot better.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The 417's diff is much closer to being "sealed" than before. The hubs completely fill the pulley. As far as durability goes, there's a few things you need to do.

1. Parma T2 bumper (trimmed to fit)
2. Steel CVD's up front (46mm w/spool)
3. Alloy c-hubs
4. titanium tie-rods for steering only

Optional: Steel ball studs.

You're spending more money to bulletproof the car, but that's probably going to be required in most places.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TRF417 Or XRAY T3'11
HB TCX no parts !
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, hello again, been looking around, i dunno why but i prefer HB or Tamiya :P
My main question is : on the 417, the motor mount and the bulkhead oposite are attached together . On the HB, its 2 seperate bulkheads, why is that ? Whats the difference ?
Another thing is the steering system, on HB it says that its nt attached to the upper deck, but i think there a way to attach it .
On the tamiya the steering isnt conected to the upper deck .
Is there any difference ?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Ok, hello again, been looking around, i dunno why but i prefer HB or Tamiya :P
My main question is : on the 417, the motor mount and the bulkhead oposite are attached together . On the HB, its 2 seperate bulkheads, why is that ? Whats the difference ?
Another thing is the steering system, on HB it says that its nt attached to the upper deck, but i think there a way to attach it .
On the tamiya the steering isnt conected to the upper deck .
Is there any difference ?
Thanks
I think you're over analying things. That's like asking why BMW builds it's cars a different way than Toyota. And there's going to be a million different answers for that.
You should really be asking yourself which will have the best part support, or what cars you mostly see at the track. Stuff that's going to matter when you do have the car.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
I think you're over analying things. That's like asking why BMW builds it's cars a different way than Toyota. And there's going to be a million different answers for that.
You should really be asking yourself which will have the best part support, or what cars you mostly see at the track. Stuff that's going to matter when you do have the car.
Yea your probably right, the most part support is the TCX and the most used car is 417 and TCX, so at the moment im currenty leaning on the TCX, but i dont want to buy a car thats totally going to change next year or that there is a better car out ...
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Well you will not know whether Xray and Tamiya will change their cars next year neither, and you don't know how long you are going to stay with this hobby. So just buy it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.