Wiki Posts
Search

JL10e ring and pinion durability

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default JL10e ring and pinion durability

I just picked up a JL10e and it looks like a nice car for the money but I'm a little concerned about the durability of the diff ring and pinion along with plastic drive cups as I plan to use a Castle Sidewinder 5700 combo in this car. Will it handle this combo or should I tame it down a bit ? I beat the snot out of my SC10 with this combo and it held up fine... Any feedback on this car would be appreciated. I did check out the JL10e thread and it was mostly positive, just wondering if anyone's trashed drivetrain parts by overpowering this car. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I have been running my Castle 5700 on this car for a while now - no issues. The track I run @ has a pretty good back straight and fun infield, and the JL + 5700 combination works pretty well. The only thing I added was a heatsink for the motor. After a hard run with a 5000 mah 2S pack, the temps are still within range (even lower with a 20-21T pinion) with the stock spur gear.

Jut make sure your motor mount and the top mount screws (to adjust pinion mesh) stay tight. My screws back out a bit after a few runs, even with loc-tite. When I first bought the kit - I purchased extra bevel diff gears, outdrives, and diff plates. Only the diff plates needed replacement (so far)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default jl10e

to solve the motor screw problem add a small lock washer to each screw and you will never have a problem i have run mine many times with a novak 5.5 and 5000 mah battery with no problems at all for me there is no better touring car out there for the money as far as plastic drive cup mine has never needed changed however there is an extra in the kit if you bought it new otherwise nitro house carries all the parts for these cars and the shaft drive requires much less maintenance than a belt
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear. I had enough spare electronics to do a car, just no chassis so I thought this car would be a good candidate for a cheap, fast build. Just finished installing the radio gear, too bad we just got 15" of snow.