R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Originally Posted by arvt View Post
Thanks but I'd rather not have to put it on and take it off.
It's not too hard to remove the balloon from the electronic component. It's a whole lot cheaper that way then to buy all new electronics.

If you were to buy a Traxxas VXL3 esc which is water proof, the supplied velineom motor isn't water proof which will still be a problem, plus you can't platidip the motor as it will overheat. Melt the plastidip coating and destroy the motor anyway.

Best bet is to use a brushed motor and speed control setup. The motor will be okay with regular reoiling of the bushings, the speed control will be okay inside the balloon. It might get a little warmer then normal but with the water it should keep the temps under control. The only part I do suggest getting is the traxxas servo that is in the Slash 4x4 as it is 3 things, tough as hell, strong (it is a metal gear servo), and water proof. It's also not that expensive!

Best way to keep the electronics in place with a balloon over them is to drill a couple holes in the tray for the electrics and zip tie them down and they will not move. I did this exact setup in an older touring car that I weather proofed for an outdoor event which had 90% chance of thunderstorms. It was a 24 hour endo race, 1 car, 4 drivers, and 4 battery packs only. It was FUN to race in the rain on a wet track, we even used treaded tires when the track was wet. It was a blast!! BTW, we as a team took 2nd at this event, and the margin between us was only 2 seconds. The car worked flawlessly, no heat issues, and no water damage to any of the electronics.

Anyway, this is the best advice and best way to go about making your Tamiya M-05 water resistant.
Mike Zadler
Associated TC3 VTA & TC6 USGT
Tamiya M-05
AudioStylz is offline   Reply With Quote