Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who holds the speed record?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Hummingbird Micro Helicopter

hey do you have a link to a site where i can check that out? it sounds pretty cool

i bet ajg already has one and he can get i to hover upside down
Old 08-17-2004, 03:34 PM
ajg

Originally posted by kufman
There is another problem with running a 540 brushless (or brushed for that matter) in a micro... the batteries. You will be hard pressed to find tiny cells that can push enough current to feed a hungry brushless. From running several different brushless setups (and also be an electrical engineer) I don't see a SMALL cell out there that can push more than 20 amps. The best I have seen are the cp1300's. fairly small, but I don't think they are micro small.
I use cp-1300 cells.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Just for the record though - I don't always believe speed claim people make. So take this for what you want.

I have been emailing back and forth with Castle Creations tech support. I bought the Mamba 8000kv motor with the Mamba 25 ESC. They been runing this in a MiniT that they are claiming they have hit 70MPh+ using a (can't spell) bushnell radar gun for getting speed measurements.

Is true, who knows. But sounds very impressive.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:35 PM
ajg

Originally posted by Liam_Davies
Would that be an easy thing to achieve by the time you include things like transmission drag, aerodynamics, etc?

I'm wondering how his 48,000rpm motor suddenly gained 16,000rpm overnight...
I added more cells, which means more volts and more rpms.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well hello good to see yaback
Old 08-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by ajg
I added more cells, which means more volts and more rpms.

Good, now that you're here.......

How many mahs your batteries hold?

Are they NiMH or NiCads?

How many batteries you have on your micro so far?

What type of Batteries are they?

legitimate question.........
Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 PM
ajg

Nicad

8 cells

cp-1300
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

How are you measuring motor RPM and how did you clock your tire at 94mph?

I've been talking to a few people today and I'm not sure that a radar gun can accurately pick up an object as small as an R/C car. I believe this is why the clocking method in the R/c Car challenge thing is through a speed trap.
Tech Adept

Well - How familiar is everyone here with Micro RC's?

I own a Micro RS4 and I also personally own a CNC Mill. I milled a chassis out of 0.9mm thick aluminum that can hold 16 cells.

These are 2/3 sub-c cells. The CP1300's that ajg is talking about using are even smaller. So it can hold more of the CP1300's.

Now I am running the Mamba 8000 in my Micro RS4. And I am running with very cheap quality 6 cell pack batteries right now. I did not run it with 16 cells on the chassis. BUT they would physically fit.

OK - using the VSM as my speed measurement tool - I got up to a wopping 35MPh and wrecked and because chassis is so thin. It was still drivable but it bent. So I took it back off and the next one will be made with thicker aluminum.

But it is realistic to put 20 or more of the CP1300 cells on a micro RS4 if you are NOT using any of the stock chassis.

Good stuff!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:53 PM
ajg

Originally posted by Jack Smash

I've been talking to a few people today and I'm not sure that a radar gun can accurately pick up an object as small as an R/C car. I believe this is why the clocking method in the R/c Car challenge thing is through a speed trap.
The motor was dynoed. I used teh vsm to measure how fast I could get the tires spinning without them coming off. I also put them on a dremel and tried.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sean
Hummingbird Micro Helicopter

hey do you have a link to a site where i can check that out? it sounds pretty cool

i bet ajg already has one and he can get i to hover upside down

www.centuryheli.com

You know I would never thought I'll own a helicopter, cause they cost too much. However, now they are cheaper to accquire. But watch out! Once you wreck them, the price of repair goes up!

you think you just broke an A-arm...........
Old 08-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Adept

I personally have questioned the accuracy of this. Even a 1/10 scale is small. But a lot of the manufactures I talk to use radar guns to test their own products.

They usually use the ones used for baseball/softball games and stuff because those are supposed to be better for smaller object. Me personally - I have no clue. I am not a subject matter epxert and nor do i claim to be. That is why I will try and have the MOD do the speed gun part.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

What dyno are you using for your motor? Where is the pickup located for the VSM? and a dremel will not spin a micro tire anywhere near 94mph.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:00 PM
ajg

What dyno are you using for your motor? Where is the pickup located for the VSM? and a dremel will not spin a micro tire anywhere near 94mph.
The rear driveshaft. I put it on the dremel because someone on here wanted me to.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by ajg

Nicad

8 cells

cp-1300
AJG......

You need to chuck the Nicads for NiMhs. NiMhs carry more amps than the NiCads per cell.

You are running 8 cells, okay, may not be enough for a brushless in your current equipment, but if you Get NiMhs, a brushless may work.

I need to know the actual size of the cells, can you fit more on to the chassis?

If the Air Force can show the world thay they can get a brick to fly (F4 Phantom) I believe with the right parts and equipment (and lots of money), a micro can reach 80. But after that, it'll be useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.