Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GEN Ace LIPO Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just got one of these today. Not too bad for a 32$ battery. But the cells are not matched. I would not charge these packs without a balance charger. There is almost .2V difference between the cells. Which if charged without a balance charger will result in a poofed pack or worse a fire. I also did a resistance check on the cells one was 7 ohms and the other 13 ohms. And to top it off it came with no connector leads. Oh well I have plenty.

I ran it in an SC10. Seemed to work fine, but after the 10 min practice run the cells were still very far apart in Voltage. So I would be careful running these down to the low voltage cutoff. By the time you get to that state one cell will be much lower than the other. I also would not try and run these packs with mod, or 4x4 SC as they probably would poof very easily.

After all the great reviews I was hoping for something better.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
I just got one of these today. Not too bad for a 32$ battery. But the cells are not matched. I would not charge these packs without a balance charger. There is almost .2V difference between the cells. Which if charged without a balance charger will result in a poofed pack or worse a fire. I also did a resistance check on the cells one was 7 ohms and the other 13 ohms. And to top it off it came with no connector leads. Oh well I have plenty.

I ran it in an SC10. Seemed to work fine, but after the 10 min practice run the cells were still very far apart in Voltage. So I would be careful running these down to the low voltage cutoff. By the time you get to that state one cell will be much lower than the other. I also would not try and run these packs with mod, or 4x4 SC as they probably would poof very easily.

After all the great reviews I was hoping for something better.
First, find me one lipo with an unboxing vid that shows both cells matched. Second, i charge mine all the time without a balance, they worked just fine with no puffing. Im just saying. You cant expect god like quality from $32.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You'll be surprise how this batteries perform I use to run high end dollar lipo batteries.. TP, Orion, etc you name it I all use them before.. I tried the GEN ACE lipo and never looked back.. All my buddies once told me I will never use those cheap lipo pack they are "NO GOOD" I got the last laugh now most of them run GEN ACE at my local track... I run MOD my self but my buddie is the fastest guy on non-ramping 17.5 and he run GEN ACE...
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jochim_18
You'll be surprise how this batteries perform I use to run high end dollar lipo batteries.. TP, Orion, etc you name it I all use them before.. I tried the GEN ACE lipo and never looked back.. All my buddies once told me I will never use those cheap lipo pack they are "NO GOOD" I got the last laugh now most of them run GEN ACE at my local track... I run MOD my self but my buddie is the fastest guy on non-ramping 17.5 and he run GEN ACE...
First of all I didn't say they where no good. Second I was just posting my experience with what I got, as I had never used them or seen them at my track. In my experience with lipo I have bought more expensive packs that where just as far off. But when used in an 8th scale buggy on 4s they puffed after about 10 runs. And the difference in cell voltage was about the same as this pack. I bought one of these because of all the great reviews. I watched a few youtube videos where the cells where almost perfect and the internal resistance was 2 ohms per cell. I did not get one of those packs. If the reviews had more closely matched my experience I would not have posted.

If you would like to post your internal resistance numbers that would be great. I would also be interested in what your start and end cell voltage difference is. What I saw last night was .5V between the cells after 10 min.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

These batteries are excellent! I bought 5 of them a year ago and they are still running strong. When I first got them 1 of them had cells that were off but I put it on the charger in storage mode and it brought both cells up to the same level and it's been on point since. I balance them once a week after a race and thats it. I would definately buy them again.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by elex300
These batteries are excellent! I bought 5 of them a year ago and they are still running strong. When I first got them 1 of them had cells that were off but I put it on the charger in storage mode and it brought both cells up to the same level and it's been on point since. I balance them once a week after a race and thats it. I would definately buy them again.
I will give storage mode a try. I was just going to cycle the battery tonight on my 20 amp discharge block to see if the cells will even out. What bothers me is not that the voltage is so off, but the internal resistance is much different. That means every time these are discharged one cell will always be lower than the other. Which could cause them to poof.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Looks like one of the cells probably has different total capacity as well?

The lower you discharge it the bigger the difference between the 2 cells.

Personally i consider buying lipo's these days a hit and miss. There's always going to be the chance you land a less than desirable pack, but by the same token, you may find a gem in budget lipos.

I've bought intellect IP ROAR approved packs, had some puff easily as well, always balanced charged.

I've also bought tons of hobbyking batteries both Turnigy and Zippy. Overall I've had both cases of Dead On Arrival for both brands, but at the same time I've had packs last for ages... Example, I have two 2.5 year old Zippy 20C 5000 hard case packs, they discharge right down to 3.3V Fully balanced, within 0.01 of each other, internal resistance also matched.

Then there's this weird once off battery i bought, a Yeah Racing 4000mah 25C 2S stick. I swear and so do 3 other friends who have used my pack, that it blows everything else we have out of the water... including IP 40-60C packs.... it just has so much damn punch for what is on paper very bland specs...

Thing is though, most lipo's all get churned out of a chinese factory whether or not it is slapped with a western brand or not. Granted, some may have better Quality Control, but i still think its a hit and miss even with expensive premium brands. I also consider any battery with a C rating above 40 to be fake / false.

So really, Luck of the draw...
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck
Looks like one of the cells probably has different total capacity as well?

The lower you discharge it the bigger the difference between the 2 cells.

Personally i consider buying lipo's these days a hit and miss. There's always going to be the chance you land a less than desirable pack, but by the same token, you may find a gem in budget lipos.

I've bought intellect IP ROAR approved packs, had some puff easily as well, always balanced charged.

I've also bought tons of hobbyking batteries both Turnigy and Zippy. Overall I've had both cases of Dead On Arrival for both brands, but at the same time I've had packs last for ages... Example, I have two 2.5 year old Zippy 20C 5000 hard case packs, they discharge right down to 3.3V Fully balanced, within 0.01 of each other, internal resistance also matched.

Then there's this weird once off battery i bought, a Yeah Racing 4000mah 25C 2S stick. I swear and so do 3 other friends who have used my pack, that it blows everything else we have out of the water... including IP 40-60C packs.... it just has so much damn punch for what is on paper very bland specs...

Thing is though, most lipo's all get churned out of a chinese factory whether or not it is slapped with a western brand or not. Granted, some may have better Quality Control, but i still think its a hit and miss even with expensive premium brands. I also consider any battery with a C rating above 40 to be fake / false.

So really, Luck of the draw...
I agree with you on the hit or miss things. But there are some post production QA that goes into the more expensive packs. Not saying that you always get winners, but the cells usually match.
I ran my pack down last night on my discharger just to see where it was at compared to my other "pro" packs. I have mostly TP packs. But I also have some Proteck packs. The Gen Ace pack is very comparable to them. But you are correct in that the pack seems to have cells with different capacities.
Internal resistance after 4 cycles last night is cell one is 6 ohms charged and discharge was 7. Cell two is 16 ohms charged or discharge. So cell two would be done charging and cell one could take more, 4.15V when cell two was hitting 4.2. As a comparison my TP packs are either 2 ohms or 1 ohms and finish within .001V up and down.
I will be putting the pack through its paces this weekend in SC and see how it goes. The initial run seemed to indicate good discharge with plenty of punch. VS my 3 year old TP battery.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Maybe we can get some of the guys who already have these packs that buy more new ones, compare the difference between the two and see how well they compare. Sometimes these companies come out doing well with the product and it goes over really well and they can't keep up with demand, so they start to skimp a little on quality and speed up the process of just getting them back in stock. I'm new to the RC scene so might be way off here, just a thought.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default update:

I raced this pack and it seems to be leveling out some. Still takes for ever to balance. This is probably because the internal resistance numbers are so off. Still getting 5 or 6 ohms on 1 cell and 12-16 ohms on the other. Overall for 34$ not too bad. I am interested in how these will compare to some other brands that are now offering their mid range 5000mah 50C batteries for around $45.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can pick some of these bad boy up?
http://www.rc-battery.com/app/menu.p...product&id=489

Ive had the 5000 40c for around a year now. They are starting to lose performance over 6 mins.... Larger capacity should help a lot.

Phill
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Gens Ace = hobbypartz.com
Old 01-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hobbypartz has been out of stock on most of the higher capacity approved cells w/bullet connectors for a long, long time. I check weekly and no status updates. It would be nice to know if they're coming with new models or are having manufacturing issues. I have 2 of their non-approved cells for practice and have had no issues with them.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, hobbypartz are professionnals in the "out of stock" category...
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talked to them today about their 2s 50c batteries that have been on back order since just before Christmas (IIRC). They were telling me they'd be back in stock mid January, then end of January, then mid Febrary, now their saying April....Sheesh!
Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.