Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Need a little help here guys. I recently purchased a used 17.5, that seems to run fine. My only issue is that it's a bit noisy. I thought maybe the sensor was causing it, but my tekin shows that all 3 sensors are reporting. The bearings are very quiet. I'm a bit stumped. Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

I'm looking at getting a option rotor for my 17.15 which one will be better to get the blue one or the green one ?

Thanks ...
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mwoods
I'm looking at getting a option rotor for my 17.15 which one will be better to get the blue one or the green one ?

Thanks ...
What class?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OVA
What class?

Oops meant to be 17.5 and it will be touring cars ...
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi

I have just got a 17.5 TP motor. Used it and ran the same gearing as my other motors Dynamite DPS and Reedy but the TP came of really hot 20c hotter than my other 2 motors.

Is the motor to be geared much lower than other motors as it started to go soft the last 2 mins of the race.

The gearing I was running was between 3.2 and 3.3

Many thanks for your help.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big al
Need a little help here guys. I recently purchased a used 17.5, that seems to run fine. My only issue is that it's a bit noisy. I thought maybe the sensor was causing it, but my tekin shows that all 3 sensors are reporting. The bearings are very quiet. I'm a bit stumped. Any help is appreciated!
One thing I found with one of mine was that the stator was slightly loose in the can. This meant it could twist very slightly inside the can.
I solved it by adding a second fibre glass gasket up against the original.

Skiddins
Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Skiddins
One thing I found with one of mine was that the stator was slightly loose in the can. This meant it could twist very slightly inside the can.
I solved it by adding a second fibre glass gasket up against the original.

Skiddins
I'll take a look. Never thought of that. Many thanks! I wonder if some thermal compound would help that....
Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bhambrent
When is the new Thunder power motor's coming out?

I want to stay with the Thunder Power brand, but can't wait to much longer!.

Still would like to here some one from Thunder Power. To give a Yes or No.

Thanks,

b.wiley
Old 07-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

I'll take a look. Never thought of that. Many thanks! I wonder if some thermal compound would help that....
Paste on it's own wont do anything.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

I've found that although the paste doesn't lower the temp, it does seem to help dissipate heat quicker. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

I've found that although the paste doesn't lower the temp, it does seem to help dissipate heat quicker. Your mileage may vary.
Try measuring the temp through the vent holes with and without paste, you'll see a difference.

Skiddins
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 415tam
Hi

I have just got a 17.5 TP motor. Used it and ran the same gearing as my other motors Dynamite DPS and Reedy but the TP came of really hot 20c hotter than my other 2 motors.

Is the motor to be geared much lower than other motors as it started to go soft the last 2 mins of the race.

The gearing I was running was between 3.2 and 3.3

Many thanks for your help.
Because the Z3R uses a smaller rotor it needs to be gears lower than the other motors you mentioned. You can also change to the Blue tuning rotor.

Originally Posted by bhambrent
Still would like to here some one from Thunder Power. To give a Yes or No.

Thanks,

b.wiley
There are a number of things in the works.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Could be a slight magnetic unbalance in the stator or rotor. As long as it runs fine it should be no problem. Otherwise you can try another stator.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Recently purchased one of these motors for 17.5 boosted state titles approaching.

Currently I am running a 6.25 FDR, with somewhat 40 degrees of boost and 30 degrees turbo on the new HW v3.1 ESC. I have 20 degrees of motor timing on the endbell using the red rotor, and from my experience this thing rocks!

Although, after every run it has a very strong smell to the motor, it performs very well, but I still want some more performance out of it to keep up with some of the faster racers. After a 6 minute run the motor comes off at about 70C with a heat sink and fan, and only once after a 15m run did it come of at 95C (Absolute borderline!!).

For about a 50m straight, this is the only area lacking competitive racing, as a few (not all) racers are alot faster. Can anyone suggest some HW settings that would maybe increase the performance? Or should I be going down on settings and changing timing or FDR?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi ThunderPowerRC, thanks for getting back about my gearing question.

Can I just confirm that the TP 17.5 (as comes out of the box) should be geared from my current gearing of 3.2 - 3.3 to say 2.9 or lower.
Is this the right way to gear the motor as per your suggestion.

I just want to make sure I am gearing the right way before I run the TP 17.5 motor again.

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.