Wiki Posts
Search

Blistered Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Blistered Tire?

Would you consider this to be a blistered tire in the RC car world.I do know that once their like this they are usually ready for the trash can,IMO.The tire below is/was a Sorex 28 that I ran a fairly mild Saturday night race last fall.Still they may have overheated at some time which I think could of changed the properties of the rubber thus causing the rubber to shed off.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2002, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Blistered Tire?

Originally posted by Lowrance
Would you consider this to be a blistered tire in the RC car world.I do know that once their like this they are usually ready for the trash can,IMO.The tire below is/was a Sorex 28 that I ran a fairly mild Saturday night race last fall.Still they may have overheated at some time which I think could of changed the properties of the rubber thus causing the rubber to shed off.
Any thoughts?
overheated
Old 04-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm seeing something similar with some Sorex 28's I ran last weekend. It was a cool night, and I didn't expect to see this after only one race day:

These are Sorex 28's on Sorex 5 spoke rims with HPI red (medium) inserts. After three runs the lap times were a little more than half a second slower than when new.

What can I do to get better wear from the tires? I really don't want to have to buy new tires for every race day. The weather was cool, so I didn't think going to Sorex 36's would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Trips
Old 04-17-2002, 12:18 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I was seeing this a bit last summer with a pair of Sorex 36s (HPI Red), after about 3 or 4 runs they were blistering a bit when they really shouldn't have been.

I found that the car, although it was handling really well, was breaking traction ever-so-slightly when I was throttling up and down through the infield (this was a Yokomo Worlds running mod on a treated asphault). My theory was that the added tirespin against the surface was causing the blistering (in the rear only, for me).

I tweaked the car's setup a little bit and pretty soon I was able to eliminate the problem. Geared it a little less agressively and the speed I lost in the straight I made up in the infield, though I probably never would have noticed the were it not for the blistering tires, since it seemed like the rest of the setup was spot-on. I also tried playing with the camber links & settings, I can't remember exactly what it was that I did though as this was a year ago.

On a different note, have you thought about trying 32s? Or a thinner insert?
Old 04-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Trips, I've had Sorex 20's with HPI red on Yok dish rims wear almost exactly like that (on ozite). Also, I've noticed that when the tire blisters like that, the insert tends to collapse. I'm thinking it's kind of a combination of too soft an insert, and too much air gap. I'm running foams now, but whenever (if) I go back to rubber, I'm going to try taping up the rim to remove some air gap, and possibly use green inserts.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How many holes and how big are the holes that you guys are using on the rims? If you try a larger hole this will let more of the hot air escape the tire and help it run alittle cooler. Also I think that if you have an air-gap in the tire and the insert this will help with the cooling of the tire too. Because now you can let air pass on both sides of the tire and the insert is not holding the heat into the tire. The ware that Trips is getting looks like normal ware. But the ware that Lowrance is getting looks like there is not enough insert or too soft of one in the tire.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Its an interesting topic. I run Yokomo 138G's and when I use them in Pro Stock they basically don't blister. But when I use them in Touring Modified they blister heaps especially the outside front tyre.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

IXLR8NZ,
We had a race day after the nats where it was fine and sunny, several guys used 138Gs in pro stock and they blistered.
I think it that respect that the tyres just overheated in the 4 minutes due to a combination of the fairly technical layouts we can run and the tracks surface temperature.
We'll see this more often when we change to 5 minute races.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:44 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by Kevin K
How many holes and how big are the holes that you guys are using on the rims? If you try a larger hole this will let more of the hot air escape the tire and help it run alittle cooler. Also I think that if you have an air-gap in the tire and the insert this will help with the cooling of the tire too. Because now you can let air pass on both sides of the tire and the insert is not holding the heat into the tire. The ware that Trips is getting looks like normal ware. But the ware that Lowrance is getting looks like there is not enough insert or too soft of one in the tire.
That's what I was thinking too, about the inserts -- hence the thinner inserts. The HPI inserts are what I have always run outdoors but I switched over to Yokomo indoors and I might give those a shot outdoors to, to see how the wear looks. The Yokomos are a lot thinner than the HPIs. The larger air gap should help...
Old 04-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Trips
I'm seeing something similar with some Sorex 28's I ran last weekend. It was a cool night, and I didn't expect to see this after only one race day:

These are Sorex 28's on Sorex 5 spoke rims with HPI red (medium) inserts. After three runs the lap times were a little more than half a second slower than when new.

What can I do to get better wear from the tires? I really don't want to have to buy new tires for every race day. The weather was cool, so I didn't think going to Sorex 36's would be appropriate.

Thanks,

Trips
Hey dont feel bad last saturday we raced and in 2 five minute heats i wore clean to the belts on a new set of sorex 28's with hpi red inserts. the thing pushed like a sled i never liked sorex tires but we have a new spec tire class an you have to run them but i think that i will sneek a set of take off's in they never gave me a problem.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

after 4 runs (approx 5 min / run) my sorex 32's with firm pit shimizu inserts and yokomo dish rims look a lot like the sorex 28s of trips. i run stock motors on an indoor asphalt track. do inserts have something to do with tire wear? if i switch to medium, will tire wear improve? the tires look blistered down the middle.

another question, what is the equivalent of sorex 32s on take-off tires?
Old 04-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

A brand new set of Sorex32's after 2 heats and a main on parking lot with outside temperture of 80-85 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails Blistered Tire?-sorex32s.jpg  
Old 04-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Don't let your tires dry out
Attached Thumbnails Blistered Tire?-bagged.jpg  
Old 04-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Trips

Thanks,

Trips
looks like your insert is thick. and this is just like you put a hard but fit insert into your tire. Try firm but thin inserts ! this will give you much better and even tire wear and the chance of getting tire over heat is lesser.

Try tamiya 24mm black insert on your sorex tire. it works great. It does leave a small room between the insert and tire but this works great.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default tires

u should use foam tires they cant get blister and there cheaper than rubber thats my opinion i run outdoors at 100 degress and they never fail 4 me thats my suggestionto you ok thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.