Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Type of rims with a tyre >

Type of rims with a tyre

Type of rims with a tyre

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Type of rims with a tyre

Would it make any difference if you use the TOP rims with inserts and Sorex tyres? We also run on tar surfaces, don't know if it's making any diff.
Would rims make such a big difference on your tyre because I see most
oaks run Sorex tyres on Jaco rims. Are the any flexibality in the rim that make
it better or worse between the different rims or not really?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I cant say anything about performance differences but my guess is they use Jaco rims because of their looks. I for one can't stand the look of dish rims on a TC, the Jaco's are the way to go.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Not sure about stock class but for mod as the car is running much faster and putting lot of load on the rims. The hardness make a huge different. softer rims have less grip and less predictable in fast corner. harder rims feel more stable especially in high speed larger corner.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Simple answer: No problems, use what you got.

Complicated answer: Different rims have different performance envelopes. They usually come in lights, standards, and heavies, and typically are made from two different materials. And that's before we get into the 24mm and 26mm argument!

The ABS style rims are good general rims, but will often crack under heavy impact. They also tend to be heat sensitive. Light rims are usually used on carpet, but they're more fragile. Standards are used everywhere. The heavy ones hold up to heat better, and are more rigid, for high heat and hight speed applications. I have a set of TOP rims, and they're ABS standard weight. Muchmore stock rims are good, but crack easily, and the Schumacher revlites are amazing, but really fragile.

For standard ABS dish wheels, I usually use Yokomo as sold through Associated (cheapest for the same product) on ebay. Good balance of rigidity and longevity without being too fragile, indoors or out.

Nylon or a nylon blend is also used (a la Jaco and I believe Solaris). They're a little stiffer than ABS for the same weight, a lot more heat tolerant, but will often take a 'set' if smacked too hard, and really can't be straightened out. Super heat tolerant, as they don't get brittle in the cold or flex any more in the heat.

Bottom line, use what suits your style and needs. Mixing and matching is part of the "put it together yourself" problem.

Heck, even in pre-mounts, just about any combination is available under the same marketing of tire!

Example: some basic Sorex 24 premounts that I've run recently:

Schumacher
Rev lite ABS wheel
Sorex Med B inserts

Speedmind
Speedmind nylon blend wheels
Muchmore/HPI red inserts

Speedworld SJ-R
Jaco nylon wheels
Speedworld inserts

If you're concerned at all about final weight to make tech, be aware that light weight rims and light weight inserts can be as much as 30 grams or more lighter than standard weight rims and standard inserts!

Bottom line, there's no magic formula combo, as they'll all work. Some better than others initially, but that's where chassis tuning comes in to play. For stock/spec, probably a LOT less difference than for Mod, and in any case, you gotta have a well tuned car, and be well tuned in to that car!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Simple answer: No problems, use what you got.

Complicated answer: Different rims have different performance envelopes. They usually come in lights, standards, and heavies, and typically are made from two different materials. And that's before we get into the 24mm and 26mm argument!

The ABS style rims are good general rims, but will often crack under heavy impact. They also tend to be heat sensitive. Light rims are usually used on carpet, but they're more fragile. Standards are used everywhere. The heavy ones hold up to heat better, and are more rigid, for high heat and hight speed applications. I have a set of TOP rims, and they're ABS standard weight. Muchmore stock rims are good, but crack easily, and the Schumacher revlites are amazing, but really fragile.

For standard ABS dish wheels, I usually use Yokomo as sold through Associated (cheapest for the same product) on ebay. Good balance of rigidity and longevity without being too fragile, indoors or out.

Nylon or a nylon blend is also used (a la Jaco and I believe Solaris). They're a little stiffer than ABS for the same weight, a lot more heat tolerant, but will often take a 'set' if smacked too hard, and really can't be straightened out. Super heat tolerant, as they don't get brittle in the cold or flex any more in the heat.

Bottom line, use what suits your style and needs. Mixing and matching is part of the "put it together yourself" problem.

Heck, even in pre-mounts, just about any combination is available under the same marketing of tire!

Example: some basic Sorex 24 premounts that I've run recently:

Schumacher
Rev lite ABS wheel
Sorex Med B inserts

Speedmind
Speedmind nylon blend wheels
Muchmore/HPI red inserts

Speedworld SJ-R
Jaco nylon wheels
Speedworld inserts

If you're concerned at all about final weight to make tech, be aware that light weight rims and light weight inserts can be as much as 30 grams or more lighter than standard weight rims and standard inserts!

Bottom line, there's no magic formula combo, as they'll all work. Some better than others initially, but that's where chassis tuning comes in to play. For stock/spec, probably a LOT less difference than for Mod, and in any case, you gotta have a well tuned car, and be well tuned in to that car!

Thanks for the answers and or explanation
It helps alot