Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which Shaft Car? >

Which Shaft Car?

Which Shaft Car?

Old 08-02-2004, 07:03 PM
tornado

I currently have one FTTC3, CGM and a Cuda R2. All works great. FTTC3 not much upgrading to do, CGM ...you need to trim those rotating mass and Cuda .... its bullet proof..... I've seen my buddy smack his Cuda all over and all he broke was the rear shock tower and that is after one hell of a nasty hard one too.

Anyway, why not ask your friends to let you zip around with their car if they want to.....and see whether you like the "feel" of the car......go for the one that suits your driving. For me FTTC3 and CGM. My Cuda is on sale....'cos I don't like the "feel".

Bryan

Old 08-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I own a TC3 and think it's a decent car. I just wish they would release more updated parts, such as a pre-milled chassis and anti-dive machined bumpers or caster blocks.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by tornado
go for the one that suits your driving. For me FTTC3 and CGM. My Cuda is on sale....'coz I don't like the "feel".

Bryan

Way you go bryan!!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Torque steer..??You can tell,I dont really think so,I have shaft cars and belt cars and the only difference I can tell is in the way the cars handle(and I'm not talking drivetrain related).As far as one type of drivetrain over the other it's a wash.And Fab..What revisions are you talking about,the only one is the 1.1 gear set,No Other hop ups are needed,the Pro4 is just as tough as any other TC out their,remember,if you hit something with enough force it will break.The Pro4 is the "improved" TC-3..I'm sure the Evo4 is a good car,but their are shaft cars out their for less money that work just as good,The TC-3,good car,but would one of you TC-3 faithfull explain why should I HAVE to spend all that time trying to free up the drivetrain? The Pro4's drivetrain is free(super)right out of the box,So is the R2/R3 Cudas.I think Assoicated needs to up date the TC-3 a bit,not much,just the small stuff.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Which Shaft Car?

Originally posted by heathcliff
Hey guys, I am currently after a shaft driven TC and have narrowed down my choices to Yokomo SD, HPI Pro 4 and Tamiya Evo 4. I am leaning more towards the Evo 4 because of looks but i am still open to any of your inputs to help make my decision.

Thanks.
I've owned the SD and now the Pro 4. Performance wise, not too much difference. Although there are somethings I've noticed.

-On less than perfect traction surfaces, my SD did have some torq. steer. Not much, but noticable.

-I could never quite get my SD to turn equally in both directions. I haven't had that problem with my Pro 4.

-The acceleration seems about equal.

-I haven't broken any of the gears in the Pro 4 yet, but I also don't run the one-way...

-The Pro 4 is lighter, but it also has all graphite composite material which is tough during assembly and not too durable when contacting stationary objects....like track barriers!

The SD definitely has an advantage in working on the car and changing spurs. But the Pro 4 carries a huge advantage in the drivetrain freeness department. It also has a slight advantage in the electronics space.

There really isn't too much difference that I've noticed. Just a matter of preference. I made the switch from the SD to the Pro 4 because I was bored with electric TC racing and wanted a new car to tool around with.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Tech Regular

I've only had one shaft car and it's the tc3, very good car but old.

Chazz
Old 08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Well, all shaft cars are good in their own ways, all are capable of winning the WC.. just go for the one that your LHS support. all talk about torq steer, if your a newbie then you probably wont notice the small difference it makes from left to right. i have only owned the tc3 myself, i liked it, really fast out of the box, and there is a huge setup history for it, and spares are easy to get if anything brakes.
some people says that the tc3 is slower than the newer shaft driven cars.. i dont believe that.. it all comes down to the driver..
i personally recommend the Schumacher Mi2, OK,it has belts, but is really fast out of the box!
Old 08-03-2004, 07:24 PM
tornado

Originally posted by xxxkat
Torque steer..??You can tell,I dont really think so,I have shaft cars and belt cars and the only difference I can tell is in the way the cars handle(and I'm not talking drivetrain related).As far as one type of drivetrain over the other it's a wash.And Fab..What revisions are you talking about,the only one is the 1.1 gear set,No Other hop ups are needed,the Pro4 is just as tough as any other TC out their,remember,if you hit something with enough force it will break.The Pro4 is the "improved" TC-3..I'm sure the Evo4 is a good car,but their are shaft cars out their for less money that work just as good,The TC-3,good car,but would one of you TC-3 faithfull explain why should I HAVE to spend all that time trying to free up the drivetrain? The Pro4's drivetrain is free(super)right out of the box,So is the R2/R3 Cudas.I think Assoicated needs to up date the TC-3 a bit,not much,just the small stuff.
My TC3 drive train is smooth as silk right out of the box. I've not spent a penny more trying to free up that department. The only money I've spent is on spur gears .... .... fouled up by sand... .

Bryan

Old 08-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I guess your the only person that has said that in the past year,what mag. just had an article on how to free up your TC-3 tranny..yea they do that on a "smooth as slik tranny".. Next..