Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Question - Spacer Worn - ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Motor Question - Spacer Worn - ???

I just took apart a couple of motors to have a friend turn the comms, and I noticed something... Please look at these pix:

I don't know if you can tell by the pix, but the spacer on the spur gear end of the motor was pretty worn - very shiny. I noticed the same thing in the end of the motor can where this spacer rides.

I am trying to learn how to care for these motors and get the most life/performance out of them, (and I don't know what I am doing) - what does this tell me?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Everybody spaces motors differentely. I space motors so they have a tiny bit of play on either side when you place the motor on it's side and spin the arm. A friend of mine spaces motors so that there is no play when you pull down on the pinion end of the motor.

Check your shimming and space motors how you prefer, but don't have too many or too little shims. You don't want the arm to move around much or to be overshimmed and not be free.

As far as the wearing, that is normal. If it gets too bad just pop out the bushing and sand the face flat again. Teflon shims would eliminate bushing wear.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks like a poorly spaced arm....

You will need to replace the bushing of course....

I space arms in my team motors so that they have just a tick.....I will space them until they have none and then remove as little as I can till I get back just a tick of play....you need some though or you will end up with bushings like that, not to mention it puts serious drag on the motor, which will increase amp draw on your entire system.

Later EddieO