R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   WHICH IS THE SMOOTHEST ESC (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/463934-smoothest-esc.html)

Lohan 12-22-2010 02:26 PM

WHICH IS THE SMOOTHEST ESC

I have started this thread, coz of the fact that I find that my esc (a hobbywing) is a bit of a brute when I come off power - the turbo drops, and the car pitches forward quite violently. It just lacks a certain amount of modulation, and I find the power delivery a bit on/off so to speak. I know that it is fast accelerating, but try as I might I just don't get the confidence inspiring performance of my old Nosram Stock Spec (which I regrettably sold).

Now I hope this thread is read by ESC 'tarts' that have tried a few different speedos. I am considering the following:

1. Team Wave RBS
2. Orca
3. GM Genius 120
4. Black Diamond
5. LRP SXX V2

I am running 13.5.

BCbud 12-22-2010 02:30 PM

Good day!

What class are you using your speedo in?

rendcool 12-22-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lohan (Post 8378491)
I have started this thread, coz of the fact that I find that my esc (a hobbywing) is a bit of a brute when I come off power - the turbo drops, and the car pitches forward quite violently. It just lacks a certain amount of modulation, and I find the power delivery a bit on/off so to speak. I know that it is fast accelerating, but try as I might I just don't get the confidence inspiring performance of my old Nosram Stock Spec (which I regrettably sold).

Now I hope this thread is read by ESC 'tarts' that have tried a few different speedos. I am considering the following:

1. Team Wave RBS
2. Orca
3. GM Genius 120
4. Black Diamond
5. LRP SXX V2

I am running 13.5.

why don't you just get tekin RS/RS pro ?

YZFAndy 12-22-2010 02:35 PM

Every one i know that has moved to a GM day's its the smoothest they've used.

Azman Azam 12-22-2010 03:19 PM

Get an ORCA Vritra TC Spec mate..:)

mr fit 12-22-2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lohan (Post 8378491)

1. Team Wave RBS
2. Orca
3. GM Genius 120
4. Black Diamond
5. LRP SXX V2

I am running 13.5.

the hobbywing is the cousin to the speedpassion. these esc's are quite smooth, you might have too much drag brake. try to adjust it first before spending any unneccesary money. are you using an lrp x12 motor... these motors tend to give off some drag brake.

BCbud 12-22-2010 03:41 PM

If you are running touring, a high FDR will do that. Try lowering your FDR and backing off on your timming a bit to avoid over heating.

toptek 12-22-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by YZFAndy (Post 8378527)

you mean the moost not smoothest speedo.

I have had several LRP's, GM's and now I have a Tekin RS Pro.

LRP is smoother than the GM but the GM is faster. The Tekin is as powerfull as the GM but you can adjust the setup much easyer and more reliable.
you can set the Tekin much smoother than the GM.
Just like the LRP but than with moore power.

rccartips 12-22-2010 04:37 PM

Lohan,

I also used Nosram Stock Spec then replaced it with Hobbywing in 13.5T class. Also had the same rough feeling when coming off the turbo.

But after using the esc for a while and playing with settings, it now feels as smooth as the nosram. Brakes very smooth.

Don't give up on the Hobbywing. Price and program card is also a big plus on the racetrack.

Mr. Fit gave good advice, it might also be the motor.

Potoczak 12-22-2010 04:49 PM

I would have to go with the tekin!!!!

CraigM 12-22-2010 05:18 PM

Like the others have said the HW is a really smooth speedo, just check your settings. I have tried tekin, HW, and now black diamond, I found tekin least smooth, the HW better and the BD best of all. That was in the 203 tekin days though, I think 208 is smoother

hacker 12-22-2010 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by YZFAndy (Post 8378527)

Have not tried BD or ORCA, GM is the smoothest by far. You can adjust high and low speed drag brake to suit your requirements of what your experiencing with your throttle off jerkness. The only problem with any of these speed controls is they dont run motors as cool as tekin.

Originally Posted by Potoczak (Post 8379057)
I would have to go with the tekin!!!!

have you tried any speed controls outside tekin?

thread title is........which is smoothest?

Dragonfire 12-22-2010 05:58 PM

The BD makes allvthe.timing range speedies look like a joke when it comes to throttle control. I struggle to use ths throttle on anyone elses car. Tekins would be the worst I have driven but alot of it.is.to do.with the setup. If.you give away power they can all be smooth... but also slow.

MattFromSooke 12-22-2010 09:18 PM

Another vote for the orca

skypilot 12-22-2010 09:29 PM

its your settings not your esc