R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 1/12 tire prep

Could you give us a little insight on how you prep your 1/12 tires for outdoor asphalt racing.

What techniques worked for you?

In addition, what damper and kin pin lube would you suggest to start off with for a medium grip asphalt track? Ambient temperatures are in the -3 to 8, not to sure what the track temperatures are. I figured the ambient temperatures will have a bigger effect on the damper and king pin lubes.

Cheers,

Edward Pickering
EDWARD2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #602
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Could you give us a little insight on how you prep your 1/12 tires for outdoor asphalt racing.

What techniques worked for you?

In addition, what damper and kin pin lube would you suggest to start off with for a medium grip asphalt track? Ambient temperatures are in the -3 to 8, not to sure what the track temperatures are. I figured the ambient temperatures will have a bigger effect on the damper and king pin lubes.

Cheers,

Edward Pickering
Hi,

I have only ran asphalt outdoor once but I ran Paragon black can when I did so that would be the best option if the track allow any tire traction. If not, I would try and get some tire I have also seen people use that. If I remember right I applied for 30 min in the rear and 20 min in the front and did about half front.

As for the lube, I am guessing but I would start with 10 000 on both kingpin and also in the damper tubes. I think being this cold 10 000 would be a good place to start. The front does not matter as much, but if it feels to thick, you could go with stealth lube ( diff grease ) as well.

Hope this helps

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #603
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Keven,

What is your common range of cst oil that you use in the rear gear diff in the TC6.1 in mod TC in medium grip carpet. Is 2,000 cst oil ever used or is that too thick? Can you share some info on what you feel the car does when comparing the thick vs. thin oil in terms of grip.

Thanks as always,
Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #604
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LRP Radical Cooling Set

Hey do you use a fan...and if so what kind...

I have the LRP setup, but it will not fit and any of my TC's...TC6/6.1WC...

I was looking to add it but no luck in getting it to fit...I currently have the RSD fan mount and a 3R fan..

thanks Myron
Attached Thumbnails
Ask Keven Hebert, TeamAssociated / Reedy / ApexRC-lrp82520_md.jpg  
Summit RC Raceway www.summitrcraceway.com
1421 Goshen Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46808
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #605
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Keven,

What is your common range of cst oil that you use in the rear gear diff in the TC6.1 in mod TC in medium grip carpet. Is 2,000 cst oil ever used or is that too thick? Can you share some info on what you feel the car does when comparing the thick vs. thin oil in terms of grip.

Thanks as always,
Steve
Hi Steve,

The rear diff can be a tricky part sometimes because the oring can swell very fast and this changes the way the diff feels. When I put a diff together, I like to start with 1000cst with fresh oring on medium bite carpet. One thing to take into concideration is it seems like some brand oil differ so 2000 cst xray for exemple seems lighter than ae 2000 ! The thicker the diff, the more push you have going in and can get unstable mid corner. In higher bite condition it can be great but in most case, I dont go any heavier than 1500 cst on carpet.

A thiner diff on lower to medium bite feel like it has more steering and and is more predictable to a certain extend, when it becomes too light, the car will be hard to drive on power and will can inconsistent. So with fresh oring, I run anywhere 70wt shock oil to 1500 cst ( I just mix 1000 and 2000 ) and in lower bite condition and outdoor I run 50wt shock oil to 1000 cst.

I know that some of the earlier diff we had felt thicker for some reason so we had to run thin oil and lately they have felt a little thinner so we run a little thicker oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Hey do you use a fan...and if so what kind...

I have the LRP setup, but it will not fit and any of my TC's...TC6/6.1WC...

I was looking to add it but no luck in getting it to fit...I currently have the RSD fan mount and a 3R fan..

thanks Myron
Hi,

I generaly run a fan in spec classes. I know corraly or superior hobbies sell a very very good fan but otherwise the lrp fan is good as well. I have seen some people use that heatsink with current brushless motor but I am not sure if they had to modify anything. I personaly just servo tape mine to the chassis, making sure both the chassis and fan have been cleaned with motor spray ! The rsd stand works great as well.

Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Thanks again Keven, that's very helpful.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #607
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Kevin.
It's Dave, the annoying guy sitting next to the team at the Iic.

Anyhow,
When do you decide to go with a gear diff up front versus a spool?

And

I am currently running your 2012 Vegas setup and am finding that during a high speed chicane the car becomes unsettled and wants to swap ends. Any ideas on how to settle it down without ruining the cars handling around the rest of the track? (Which is so smooth fast and easy to drive by the way).

Thanks again
Dave.
204 Raceway Winnipeg 1/10-1/8 Offroad. Owner.
mtbboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #608
Tech Rookie

Hi Keven.
I wonder if the batteries #603 1S are ROAR approved? I cant find them in the list.

Thanks
Ronnie
RPracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #609
Tech Regular

Hi,

I will be out of town for the next 3 weeks or so starting today going to an ets event and then snowbird nationals. I will try and keep a look on here when i get access to internet but it might be a few days before i can answer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbboy View Post
Hey Kevin.
It's Dave, the annoying guy sitting next to the team at the Iic.

Anyhow,
When do you decide to go with a gear diff up front versus a spool?

And

I am currently running your 2012 Vegas setup and am finding that during a high speed chicane the car becomes unsettled and wants to swap ends. Any ideas on how to settle it down without ruining the cars handling around the rest of the track? (Which is so smooth fast and easy to drive by the way).

Thanks again
Dave.
Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you, hope you are doing well. I have been running a spool for a long time and have not gone back to gear diff or have not felt the need to. I would recommand running a gear diff on tight tracks when you want to get the car into the corner a little better. The problem is that the front diff is very hard to get consistant and i feel more confortable with a spool and working from there.

As for iic setup, in tight chicane you could try raising the rear shock one hole and also maybe going to 4 degree castor instead of 6, that would help a bunch, let me know how that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPracer View Post
Hi Keven.
I wonder if the batteries #603 1S are ROAR approved? I cant find them in the list.

Thanks
Ronnie
Hi Ronnie,

I have been told they were submitted and should be on the list very shortly !

Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #610
Tech Master

Keven,

Just wondering if I could get a little X20 motor advice for use in touring car. I am running a 4.5T X20 through a Speed Passion GT2.0. The speedo has not boost, 20% drag brake, and the motor is using the 27.5 timing insert with no fan. The track size is 96x42' and I'm coming off at 180F (82C) with a final drive of 9.25 and 204F (96C) using a 8.51 final drive. Adding a fan will help, but what would you recommend for gearing and motor timing and where would you expect my motor temp to land?

Thank you so much for any recommendations!
-Sam

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #611
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Keven,

Just wondering if I could get a little X20 motor advice for use in touring car. I am running a 4.5T X20 through a Speed Passion GT2.0. The speedo has not boost, 20% drag brake, and the motor is using the 27.5 timing insert with no fan. The track size is 96x42' and I'm coming off at 180F (82C) with a final drive of 9.25 and 204F (96C) using a 8.51 final drive. Adding a fan will help, but what would you recommend for gearing and motor timing and where would you expect my motor temp to land?

Thank you so much for any recommendations!
-Sam
Added a fan and with the 8.51 FDR temps dropped from +200F to 150F. Good to go now.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #612
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hi Kev!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXmzb...layer_embedded

Back again to Futaba?
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #613
Tech Rookie

Hi Keven,

were can i find your setup from the snowbirds (TC6.1WC)

Thanks
Stefan

RC-Kleinkram.de - Nosram - Reedy by Thundertiger Europe
StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #614
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Added a fan and with the 8.51 FDR temps dropped from +200F to 150F. Good to go now.
Hi Sam,

That temperature seems about right. They tend to run hotter than most motor but they can take the heat very well. 200 is a little bit on the hot side but I usualy come off the track around 180F running a 5.0 x20 with 30 degree timing 0 boost and 8.3 ! for the 4.5 I would run about 8.5 27.5 and o timing in esc ! that sounds about right where you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Yes Futaba !

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Hi Keven,

were can i find your setup from the snowbirds (TC6.1WC)

Thanks
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

I will send my setups so they can be posted on AEs website soon !

Keven

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #615
Tech Master

What style of track do u prefer U.S. or euro?
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote