R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #571
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Keven, I know this has been asked before but I could not find your response...

What do you feel making the upper arm 2mm longer (2mm spacers between the upper arm mount/reactive caster block and lower arm mount) on a 1/12th car does for the handling?
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #572
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 103
Default top arms

I can answer that one Adrian as I have just done it to both my cars.On the 1/12th car I improved my lap times by 0.19 of sec .Car held the sweepers better and kept its lines. No sign of push ,certainly smoother. I fitted a brace also to the top arms .Apperently the brace from car r5.1 fits I made my own.
RCvetran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #573
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvetran View Post
I can answer that one Adrian as I have just done it to both my cars.On the 1/12th car I improved my lap times by 0.19 of sec .Car held the sweepers better and kept its lines. No sign of push ,certainly smoother. I fitted a brace also to the top arms .Apperently the brace from car r5.1 fits I made my own.
I was curious what Keven had to say as I would imagine it is a mod to smooth out the car in high grip conditions, not all conditions. I wouldn't imagine it would increase steering as it reduces camber gain. However, it also slightly lowers the roll center and that would make the car roll/transfer weight more.

I have my 10R5.1 set up with the 2mm spacers for tomorrow night. My track is Med/High grip and my setup is really good there so if I can drop my lap times I will be stoked!
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #574
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via ICQ to MattW
Default

Kevin, have you ever tested spacers on the front axle vs spacers against the arm mount?? so keeping the overall front width the same, but effectively altering the wishbone length / king pin position relative to the wheel.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #575
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I was curious what Keven had to say as I would imagine it is a mod to smooth out the car in high grip conditions, not all conditions. I wouldn't imagine it would increase steering as it reduces camber gain. However, it also slightly lowers the roll center and that would make the car roll/transfer weight more.

I have my 10R5.1 set up with the 2mm spacers for tomorrow night. My track is Med/High grip and my setup is really good there so if I can drop my lap times I will be stoked!
Hi Adrian,

Yes I tested that. I think the shorter top arm on lower bit will give you more turn in and more responsive ! the main reason why I changed to that was too make the car smoother to drive on high bite and honestly when I did I did not loose any steering, it just was smoother going in, felt like it carried more speed through the middle of the turn and I could drive the car harder. I tend to like a car that finishes the turn really good but can be driven hard going in so that seemed to be the best for me ! I have not gone back and forth in a while now, I have been running my car like that for almost a year now. Let me know if that is what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Kevin, have you ever tested spacers on the front axle vs spacers against the arm mount?? so keeping the overall front width the same, but effectively altering the wishbone length / king pin position relative to the wheel.

when making the car wider at the arm mount, it will stiffen the car up a little and will make the car more responsive harder to drive in a sens. I beleive with the same width, a car wider at the arms will be more edgy than a car wider at the hex only. You have to keep in mind that you change more than just the width when changing the arm mount spacer because you also changed the shock location, the upper link. but in general this is what I have found !
__________________
Keven Hebert

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #576
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Hi Keven,

Back when you ran 17.5 boosted TC, what can timing did you run on the reedy motor?

tx
Craig
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #577
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Hi Keven,

Back when you ran 17.5 boosted TC, what can timing did you run on the reedy motor?

tx
Craig

Hi Craig,

last time I ran 17.5 with boost was at snowbird last february ! I looked at a setup and I ran 30 degree timing with 35/105 for gear and est settings were for software 4.4 and I had 0/10/10/1 ! keep in mind this is on a fairly tight indoor track !

Keven
__________________
Keven Hebert

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #578
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,041
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

How do you determine what diff/ shock oil you run and in your opinion what effect does diff fluid have? Thanks man!
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #579
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,449
Send a message via ICQ to MattW
Default

Kevin, oops, I was thinking on 12th scale, but didn't actually mention that!!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #580
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keven H View Post
Hi Adrian,

Yes I tested that. I think the shorter top arm on lower bit will give you more turn in and more responsive ! the main reason why I changed to that was too make the car smoother to drive on high bite and honestly when I did I did not loose any steering, it just was smoother going in, felt like it carried more speed through the middle of the turn and I could drive the car harder. I tend to like a car that finishes the turn really good but can be driven hard going in so that seemed to be the best for me ! I have not gone back and forth in a while now, I have been running my car like that for almost a year now. Let me know if that is what you find.
At my medium bite small home track the longer upper arm made me more consistent. I didn't feel a big difference but my average lap times improved. This is on a 10R5.1. The car is handling phenomenally well.

It would be cool to see you and the rest of the team run the 10R5.1 against Team CRC, Team SpeedMerchant and Josh and his CEFX at the Snowbirds. Race on Sunday....sell on Monday right!
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #581
Tech Champion
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keven H View Post
Hi Craig,

last time I ran 17.5 with boost was at snowbird last february ! I looked at a setup and I ran 30 degree timing with 35/105 for gear and est settings were for software 4.4 and I had 0/10/10/1 ! keep in mind this is on a fairly tight indoor track !

Keven
MAXED! Thanks Keven, I'm just trying to get a starting point for a "stock" event - I know it's been ages since you guys played with boost
__________________
www.facebook.com/mcpheerc
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #582
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Poland, Warsaw
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hi Kev!

Can you tell me one thing about your mazda speed 6 body?

At front lexan touch bumper or is moved some to front? If moved (free space, how much????)

My is moved to front about 5-6mm so I think it is too much


Thank you!
Abram
__________________
Michal Abramowicz
http://abram.eu.org/gear_tc6.php
My setups there -> http://www.rc-setups.com
TC6!, TC5R, 12L4, 12R5.1, 10L2, 10R5, RC8T_CE_EL custom F1 chassis
http://www.wgtshop.com/
M.Abramowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #583
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Abramowicz View Post
Hi Kev!

Can you tell me one thing about your mazda speed 6 body?

At front lexan touch bumper or is moved some to front? If moved (free space, how much????)

My is moved to front about 5-6mm so I think it is too much


Thank you!
Abram
Hi Michal,

My body is about 3.5mm forward of the bumper when running Mazda speed 6 ! 6mm seems like quite a bit but im sure it can work.
__________________
Keven Hebert

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #584
Tech Master
 
rosko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,068
Default

Im running a low roll center on my a-arms 3a all around with shortest camber link with vertical mounts would lowering my whole link down equally give me less roll or more im thinking less but, not 100% sure this is for front and rear
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #585
Tech Master
 
valk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,969
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk
Default

Question;

Will the 5.2 rear pod bulkheads work with the 5.1 lipo conversion? I ask because i have a 10r5 im vulturing a lot of
Parts to make a second 12th scale from. Just need 12th main chassis and rear hubs but with the 5.1 lipo upper brace id have no crossbrace in the rear. Could i use the newest ones? Ie, did the upper and lower plate holes move?
__________________
My stuff
| Sanwa - Team Associated - Reedy - ProAMPS RC - Novarossi |
My RC
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:20 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net