GT10 / Has it got a future

GT10 / Has it got a future

Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 AM
CFR
Tech Regular

Questions?? World GT10 / Has it got a future

RC10 R5 discontinued check out AE's site

Originally Posted by Sean Cochran
The reality of the situation is this. Sales for the car were very slow this year.
We ran out of inventory, we have to re-order a minimum amount and felt that was unrealistic to sell in an appropriate amount of time.

There were talks of making an updated kit but again sales figures did not support making another car.

If the racers are serious about continuing with 10R pan car then they need to speak with your shops and have them speak with distributors.

Last edited by CFR; 12-22-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CFR
RC10 R5 discontinued check out AE's site
When I heard the BRCA was introducing the new class, I was quite excited. Until I saw the cost of the kits - less than a top spec TC, but definitely more than the 2nd tiers ones (TA05 etc). Compare that to the similar, but dirt cheap, F1 cars (esp F109).

As a class, it got squeezed out.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by colmo
When I heard the BRCA was introducing the new class, I was quite excited. Until I saw the cost of the kits - less than a top spec TC, but definitely more than the 2nd tiers ones (TA05 etc). Compare that to the similar, but dirt cheap, F1 cars (esp F109).

Comparing a full graphite pancar to a plastic ta05 or a fibre glass f109 pricewise is comparing apples with banana's. Compare an Xray or tamiya TC graphite top of the line TC to a pancar and you will see almost twice the price for a TC car, compare it to a tamiya f104 pro and you will see almost compareble pricing.

Now i don't have a clue why the pancars are not more popular. You would think people are being put of from buying a 450,- euro TC and spend some more on maintenance and hophup parts when performance wise a pancar is equal or even outperforms a tc on many tracks with a lot less running cost.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Since there wasn't a great number of drivers running the associated i'm not surprised. CRC, X-Ray and the new Serpent are all I really see at the track.

Last edited by tunerjetta29; 12-21-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by colmo

Unfortunately there were a lot of reasons why the class was never going to happen in the UK...

Fundamentally, the cars were not as nimble as a 12th indoors, and not as forgiving as a tourer outdoors.

Less "squeezed out", more "no gap in the first place".
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's doing fine in Florida- that's in the USA for you guys overseas.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

WGT is growing in Southern California as well. Looks like our local track has 9-10 guys running now.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Pan is doing well in Europe, and over here in NZ it's catching on too. We have big outdoor asphalt tracks which a lot of US areas don't have. These cars really perform on large tracks.
People will get tired of over-priced TC's that require huge maintenance and hop-up's. WGT has been a good thing for pan, but when people at our club see our 200mm cars with 13.5's and 2 cell lipo screaming around, it's gets their attention.
Not to mention the bodies aren't Mazda's..........
Old 12-22-2010, 03:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Comparing a full graphite pancar to a plastic ta05 or a fibre glass f109 pricewise is comparing apples with banana's. Compare an Xray or tamiya TC graphite top of the line TC to a pancar and you will see almost twice the price for a TC car, compare it to a tamiya f104 pro and you will see almost compareble pricing.

Now i don't have a clue why the pancars are not more popular. You would think people are being put of from buying a 450,- euro TC and spend some more on maintenance and hophup parts when performance wise a pancar is equal or even outperforms a tc on many tracks with a lot less running cost.
Originally Posted by sosidge
Unfortunately there were a lot of reasons why the class was never going to happen in the UK...

Fundamentally, the cars were not as nimble as a 12th indoors, and not as forgiving as a tourer outdoors.

Less "squeezed out", more "no gap in the first place".
Well said. I wouldn't mind taking a WGT around the Moto Arena, though!

I'm just thinking about my own club - it has a strong 1/12th and TC following during the winter on carpet, but only TCs run in the summer - mainly because the outdoor track tends to be cold and rain effected (it was awash at some point just about ever meeting I attended last summer). Unless a WGT chassis can cope with that (and as the club members have given up on 1/12th on the outdoor track, I don't see how), I doubt it will take off, or even get a mention.

I'm not sure where this notion that TCs need hop-ups out of the box came from? Most of the ones I can think of are pretty good as they are - the most popular one at my club being the Mi4LP (and the forthcoming CX) - I have pointed out to some that I thought TCs were overpriced too (Compare the MI4LP to the Cat SX v2 to see what I mean), but with a little bit of wheeling and dealing, it's perfectly doable.

Maintenance costs are higher, the main one being new rubber tyres every so often - I run in the 17.5 stock class, which is kinder to tyres than the 10.5 'stock' (it's really just mod speed, now) class! The appearance of gear diffs will keep diff maintenance costs down in the next few years.

I also tend to think the most expensive TC chassis yield benefits that most club drivers are not good enough to benefit from (me included), and am very pleased to see a string of lower cost chassis out now - the Mi1, Sakura Zero S, TA05 v2, Team Magic E4JS, Xray T3R etc - those are the chassis more likely to get some hop-ups!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Most of the tracks we race on here in Florida are about 110x 80 at least -some are bigger. We don't race on wet tracks however.If it wet we either wait for it to dry on the event is cancelled.
I've raced everything electric from 1/12th-1/10th since the 1980's. TC's require way to much maintance and up keep compaired to a pan car.I'm finished working on my car in the pits and having a great time while the guys on a TC are working until the last minute on there cars.A pan are is easier to set-up and maintain than any TC will ever be. And Just because Associated is not doing a car- big deal. Look at all the others making it.The only down side is the body- now there are only two being made (here in the USA).
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

We know this class as WGT (World Grand Touring) 10 pan cars, 1s, no boost /turbo 13.5 with spec tires (or open tires at some tracks)

GT10 here is RCGT (Realistic looking GT body, non-dish wheels, 17.5 with no boost/turbo ESC's) but with open choice in tires.

I really want to see WGT get bigger however with Associated out of the picture local parts are a pain with smaller manufacturers as well as cost. CRC is close but xray and serpent of course have their margins.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

To me the reasons why WGT doesn't work that well are the following:

#1 foam tires. Once you understand how important they are ( diam/ rollout/ride height/ timing the additive separately for front and rear) you realise you're gonna spend most of you race days manipulating tires. Of course I am aware of that and perfectly OK with it, but I understand it can turn people off to spend 45minutes massaging , rotating, truing , timing their tires to play for 8 minutes or less,when they could be be racing rubber TC or even better, Offroad. On this very forum I have seen people advised to start onroad with WGT, coming from offroad. I'd be very interested to have their opinion now.Who could argue that 235mm pro10 wasn't mainly killed by tire war ? But magically the misinformed newcomers who got excited by WGT neglected this.

#2 downforce. People were complaining about wedge bodies(1/12) and uniform body choice (TC). BAM one year later they have both : A wedge sophia GT that is neither realistic nor has good downforce compared to a pro10 body. Some people just never learn anything. Again, my sig says it, I couldn't care less about scale looks or diversity and I think the sophia looks terrific, but most of the WGT enthusiast seemed to care about these things.

#3 as said earlier it it not as nimble as 1/12 and not as stable as 235mm. Well, WGT was a stillborn class if you ask me. I'll still happily run my lovely RC10L3 in practice, but advocate for a class ? Sure not, I'd rather race 1/12.

Last edited by heretic; 12-22-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling- duh
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
To me the reasons why WGT doesn't work that well are the following:

#1 foam tires. Once you understand how important they are ( diam/ rollout/ride height/ timing the additive separately for front and rear) you realise you're gonna spend most of you race days manipulating tires. Of course I am aware of that and perfectly OK with it, but I understand it can turn people off to spend 45minutes massaging , rotating, truing , timing their tires to play for 8 minutes or less,when they could be be racing rubber TC or even better, Offroad. On this very forum I have seen people advised to start onroad with WGT, coming from offroad. I'd be very interested to have their opinion now.Who could argue that 235mm pro10 wasn't mainly killed by tire war ? But magically the misinformed newcomers who got excited by WGT neglected this.

#2 downforce. People were complaining about wedge bodies(1/12) and uniform body choice (TC). BAM one year later they have both : A wedge sophia GT that is neither realistic nor has good downforce compared to a pro10 body. Some people just never learn anything. Again, my sig says it, I couldn't care less about scale looks or diversity and I think the sophia looks terrific, but most of the WGT enthusiast seemed to care about these things.

#3 as said earlier it it not as nimble as 1/12 and not as stable as 235mm. Well, WGT was a stillborn class if you ask me. I'll still happily run my lovely RC10L3 in practice, but advocate for a class ? Sure not, I'd rather race 1/12.
#1 Tires didn't kill 235mm- motors and batteries made the cars way too difficult to drive. If WGT is ran with the spec tires (lilacs f/r), then the tire war argument is pretty much thrown out the window.

#2 An approved body list with specs similar to the GBS used by touring cars would fix this.

#3 I agree, I'd rather (and do) run both 1/12th scale and 235mm over WGT any day.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

I differ on you about the tires. I've run the spec tires and usually run purple and pinks.It's not a problem. What killed the wide cars here was the speed and less people could handle that.With the lipos that solved the other problem with r/c cars. One pack and no need of multiple packs for practice and racing.I forgot about the brushed motors and all the work involed in keeping them fresh.
On bodies for TC you only see one body style- mazda 6's. At least presently we have two bodies that work. As for the other bodies you use for the class in Europe it's an entirely different body style.I do have several of the Porsche GT1 200mm bodies new in the bag . With the economy the way it is and basically only one company making bodies this is what you get.
Anyway it's doing fine here in florida-WGT.
Also Corally makes two excellent WGT chassis- a tee bar and the 10sl.There is also a new car coming .

Last edited by BullFrog; 12-22-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Why has everything got to be big or non-existent these days; alive or dead, in or out? Associated have made a decision not to sell one car in their huge range and suddenly that class is dead and everyone is picking over the bones!

For a class that came out with a clear set of rules, it never stood a chance when so many drivers decided to run it with 2S, modifieds and any other combination except the one the rules specified!! How does anyone expect a class to grow it so few follow the Rules?

It's interesting that you all want to debate it, but none of you want to keep it going or express any desire to see it succeed. Maybe that's more of a reason why it is where it is than one manufacturer dropping it from their range...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.