R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #31
Tech Regular

No doubt to say the Losi XX4 World Edition , the best car ever made
Attached Thumbnails
What is the greatest/most significant r/c electric car in the last 25 years?-blosa0011-side.jpg  
lynx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com View Post
Since the frog, hornet and rc10 are all too old. (I had all of them means I am very old too. ) I would say the TA01 too. Since this thing started the touring car class as their was not even such class yet.
Didn't PB racing (who made the mini mustang) make the first recogniseable belt drive TC? It was made during the pan car 1/10 era.

Thnx for confirming the research on the age of the RC10. I have to say though that the gold tub rc10 - excellent though it is - was never really the car that kept winning world titles, because associated along with yokomo (super dog fighter) kept turning up at the IFMAR WC's with cars that were very experimental and did not reflect what the public could buy, and it was only when I think the later b4 etc came out could 'joe public' get what the pros drove. For instance, in 1989, and 1991 the yokes and associateds had gearboxes, wheels and tyres un-available to the public that were made just for the race event, and they also had suspension arms that weren't available to the public. In addition to that, they had Masami Hirosaka, Cliff Lett, and Craig Drescher driving for them - a bit like Rheinhard, Groskamp, and Harper for Tamiya (big difference tamiyas parts are always available to the public - at least in a short time).

How about the LOSI XX which won both the ISTC in the hands of David Spashett as the street weapon, and the IFMAR worlds. No other car with the same platform has won in both off road and on road worlds.
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #33
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Well apart from my Gold Tub(which we used to use a pencil style graphite chassis to race oval way back in the day). The Delta Spider 1/12th. This was my first real rc race car and introduction to on road! I still have it packed up in a box somewhere that I rebuilt in the 80's with all new parts from that time.

Last edited by gashuffer; 12-21-2010 at 04:11 PM.
gashuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #34
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lynx75 View Post
No doubt to say the Losi XX4 World Edition , the best car ever made
I have to agree with the people who said the TA-01 chassis, it and the very similar TA-02 started the Touring Car class as we know it. Now, 85% of onroad racing is Touring Car. It is hard to compete with that type of legacy.

For me the XX-4 is probably in second place. 4WD Offroad was dead before it came along, 2WD and Truck were more popular [in Australia]. Your car of choice in that class before the XX-4 was typically a Yokomo YZ-10. Now, at least where I am, 4WD offroad is way more popular than 2WD or Truck. You can still compete today with a XX-4 (and I still do) but there is no way you could be as competitive with a YZ-10. The XX-4 is the only car to beat it's successor to a World Title as far as I know, and if anyone can think of another car that was re-released because it (and I quote) "offered a competitive advantage..." I'd like to hear about it.

Other honourable mentions: the Tamiya M01, and the CRC Carpet Knife Version 1 (1994) for popularising/developing the ball-link rear suspension that every car, just about, is now using. Also worth a mention are the RC10B2 and Losi XX.
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote