Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by syndr0me
3mm?! Wow, something must really be wrong then. One end was at 5.5 and one was at 6 with the preload backed all the way off, and droop screws backed out. I set them both at 6 for now, but I guess I need to figure out what's wrong. I -just- rebuilt the shocks a few days ago, too.
get some different spring purches....thats were you having your problems..
Old 05-23-2006, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

3mm?! Wow, something must really be wrong then. One end was at 5.5 and one was at 6 with the preload backed all the way off, and droop screws backed out. I set them both at 6 for now, but I guess I need to figure out what's wrong. I -just- rebuilt the shocks a few days ago, too.
Read my previous post, it's the easiest way you'll get down under 5mm using rubbers
Old 05-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Geez, tough crowd!

The preload is backed off all the way, and I backed out the droop screws, and I filled the car with all the electronics and everything that's in there when I drive. The shocks are all the same length, and I believe I have the shock ends on as tight as they can go without pushing the thread into the eyelet. The spring perches seem to be pushed all the way down on the ball ends.

Still, the best I can do (with CS27's) is about 5.5 or 6mm. Now I'm worried that something is wrong, you guys made it seem like an absurd question. :-D The rubber car is built from spare parts, so maybe something is awry. I'm going to build up one with all the good parts (we're done with foam for a while I guess) and then I'll see where I'm at. Nobody runs the lowered shock towers with rubber, right? No weird spacers or anything in the shocks that I should know about?
I ran the lowered tower and cut shocks on rubber. Worked quite well.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hrm, okay. I guess I'll look into some perches then.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Get Xray spring perches.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
Thats why you get some of the super cool Specialized R/C steel blades and special bones for the steel blades. They last a lot longer.

-Korey
I Have these to my friend but then the outdriver or the spool brakes :s
Greetings ollie
Old 05-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Set up for halifax track in west yorkshire UK

Hi all,

I am looking for a decent set up for Halifax track in west yorkshire. Its an out door asphalt track which is fairly open with a long straight prob about 60 to 80 m at a guess. Running 19 turn with cs 22 tires.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

What are you guys doing to get your ride height to 5mm with rubber tires? I can't seem to get it much below 6.
Don't use the corally ball end use the ball end of Tamiya TRF and the spring collar of TRF but you have to use the balscrew to click the damper on it, then you can set your car as low like you want to!
Greetings Ollie
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there anything which breaks thats not a normal part on the RDX?

Also these Associated spring perches are they essential when running rubber slicks?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tim fry

Also these Associated spring perches are they essential when running rubber slicks?
Yeah the asso perchers works but the one's from tamiya work even better with the ball end of tamiya!
Greetings Ollie
Old 05-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tim fry

I'd say No and Yes to your questions
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Tech Lord

I haven't build up my "official" rubber tire car since there's still some indecision at the track about what we're going to run. Seems like at least 8 weeks of rubber in the upcoming points series, so I guess I'll start working on that more.

But, I threw a crappy quick setup on my spare parts car and ran rubber tires tonight. I was at 6mm ride height with 2mm of uptravel. The car was dumping over in the turns, causing the wheel on the opposite side to lift. If I got on the throttle when this happened, the car would "diff out." It was weird. The harder I got on the throttle when the weight was transfered, the more the car hesitated before finally going. Is that a common occurrence if the a car is lifting on one side? Making the diffs extremely tight didn't help, and just made the car handle worse, and possibly dump over even more.

Presumably, getting the ride height down around 5mm will help. I've gotten a bunch of setup advice from various people, so I need to figure out what works at our track. We have nice Ozite carpet, but the traction isn't terribly high since we change layouts frequently, and have a fairly small number of racers.

Honestly, if anything, I had too much traction. I put a thicker top deck on the car and it mellowed it out quite a bit.

Someone told me I should always run a thicker top deck than chassis to avoid tweak... guess I'll have to experiment with that too.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Lord

The most painful thing about all this, is that while trying to be more smooth with the throttle in the main so I wouldn't diff out, I turned the fastest lap of the night. I guess there's something to be learned from that.

Rubber tire is kind of... meh. I miss my foams. Seems like there's a lot to be learned on the rubbers though.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Rubbers do drive a lot different. My track just has next to zero traction at the moment... so rubber tires are even harder to setup for. For your ride hieght issue... just grab some xray spring perches to make it easy. You can cut the the stock end and the spring perch to work... but I'm lazy and just throw the xray one on lol. Would you wind posting your setup so I can maybe give you a few pointers?

-Korey
Old 05-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Tech Lord

Glad I'm not alone. Seems like XRay or TC4 or Tamiya spring perches are the way to go. Anything but Corally I guess. :-D

As for the setup, let me do a decent job of replicating some of the setups I've received before I bore you guys with where I'm at. I'm doing a bunch of things that are generally considered sub-optimal, like running a front diff. I'll do something reasonable with my setup so I'm closer to what most people run and then fine tune from there.

Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
Rubbers do drive a lot different. My track just has next to zero traction at the moment... so rubber tires are even harder to setup for. For your ride hieght issue... just grab some xray spring perches to make it easy. You can cut the the stock end and the spring perch to work... but I'm lazy and just throw the xray one on lol. Would you wind posting your setup so I can maybe give you a few pointers?

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.