Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease??? >

Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 11:42 AM
bst
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???

I HAVE A TAMIYA M-03L MINI COOPER THAT I JUST PULLED APART TO ADD BEARINGS, CLEAN AND REGREASE. MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH AND HOW HEAVY OF GREASE SHOULD I ADD TO THE MESS/BEVEL GEARS INSIDE THE DIFFERENTIAL SPUR GEAR? THANKS, DON
Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

I had one and I packed it with black grease... PACKED
Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

If you're packing the diff, make sure it's a heavy grease, not a diff oil.

The diff isn't sealed, so the diff oil will run out of the edges and become useless after a few runs.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:18 PM
bst
Tech Regular

Default HEAVY BLACK GREASE

I PACKED THE DIFF WITH HEAVY BLACK GREASE (monoject 412). IT SEEMS TO BE PUTTING A LOAD ON THE MOTOR, I RAN IT ABOUT 30 SEC. AND THE MOTOR WAS WARM AND THAN I RAN IT FOR 1 MINUTE AND THE MOTOR GOT HOT. THE GREASE THAT CAME WITH THE KIT THINNED OUT AFTER A FEW RUNS AND THE MINI COOPER STARTED TO MAKE THAT NOISE THEY MAKE (LIKE A COFFEE GRINDER). WILL THE BLACK GREASE THIN DOWN WITH A LITTLE USE? AND HOW HOT IS TOO HOT FOR AN ELECTRIC MOTOR? THANKS, DON
Old 03-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

maybe you installed the motor onto the wrong pinion holes??

btw did you pack your keyboard's caps lock with thick grease too?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Fire
btw did you pack your keyboard's caps lock with thick grease too?
lol!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:09 AM
bst
Tech Regular

I USE A 17 TOOTH PINION IN THE 16 HOLE, AS DO A FEW OTHER MINI COOPERS. AND I GREASED THE SHAFT WELLS IN THE CHASSIS, ETC. I'M TRYING TO STOP THAT COFFEE GRINDER NOISE THE MINI COOPERS MAKE. AFTER I PUT IT TOGETHER THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT APART AND REGREASED IT WITH THE GREASE THAT CAME WITH THE KIT AND THIS STOPPED THE NOISE FOR A FEW RUNS. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH IT NOW, MAYBE I SHOULD INVEST IN EAR-PLUGS. THANKS, DON
Old 03-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ron-
DO NOT put any grease on the gears themselves or inside of the gearcase, as this will reduce your speed and put a strain on the motor. You can put heavy grease inside of the actual differential case (that's the small round cylinder with the metal bevel gears inside and gear teeth around the outside) if you want to, but frankly that's never really increased performance for me like a ball diff does. I run my teeth dry. Yes, there's some gear noise, but there's really nothing you can do about it- although using a 17 tooth pinion in the #16 holes may make your car noisier.
Doc
Old 03-13-2004, 06:28 AM
bst
Tech Regular

Default "LARRY - OH WISE ONE"

Originally posted by bst
I USE A 17 TOOTH PINION IN THE 16 HOLE, AS DO A FEW OTHER MINI COOPERS. AND I GREASED THE SHAFT WELLS IN THE CHASSIS, ETC. I'M TRYING TO STOP THAT COFFEE GRINDER NOISE THE MINI COOPERS MAKE. AFTER I PUT IT TOGETHER THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT APART AND REGREASED IT WITH THE GREASE THAT CAME WITH THE KIT AND THIS STOPPED THE NOISE FOR A FEW RUNS. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH IT NOW, MAYBE I SHOULD INVEST IN EAR-PLUGS. THANKS, DON
LARRY, "THE MINI COOPER MASTER" SET ME STRAIGHT! THE COFFEE GRINDER NOISE, AND ACCESSIVE HEAT WAS PRODUCED BY ME HAVING A NON TAMIYA PINION GEAR. I DID WHAT HE TOLD ME TO DO AND PUT THE STOCK 20 TOOTH TAMIYA PINION IN THE CAR. NO "COFFEE GRINDER" NOISE! AND A COOL RUNNING MOTOR.
I ALSO GOT SOME GOOD ADVICE FROM BRAD S. "THE BLACK GREASE IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT WILL THIN DOWN FROM USE." THANKS, DON
Old 03-13-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Doc try the Tamiya AW grease in a gear diff it gives good bite off the turn in the early 2-3 min of the race. After that you will feel the diff starting loosen up as the grease thins. It does thicken after the run though. You can also use it in your ball diffs to tighten them up.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: "LARRY - OH WISE ONE"

Originally posted by bst
LARRY, "THE MINI COOPER MASTER" SET ME STRAIGHT! THE COFFEE GRINDER NOISE, AND ACCESSIVE HEAT WAS PRODUCED BY ME HAVING A NON TAMIYA PINION GEAR. I DID WHAT HE TOLD ME TO DO AND PUT THE STOCK 20 TOOTH TAMIYA PINION IN THE CAR. NO "COFFEE GRINDER" NOISE! AND A COOL RUNNING MOTOR.
I ALSO GOT SOME GOOD ADVICE FROM BRAD S. "THE BLACK GREASE IS THE WAY TO GO AND IT WILL THIN DOWN FROM USE." THANKS, DON

HEY THAT'S GREAT! NOW CAN YOU PLEASE GET A NEW KEYBOARD THAT HAS A WORKING CAPS LOCK KEY. THANKS!
Old 03-13-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

if you get a ball diff try and get the ta03 one not the mantaray one.the cast alloy side plates on my mantaray diff seem to be uneven makeing it very inconsistent.other guys i race with have ta03 diff and have no problems
Old 12-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default GRINDING

I have the rover mini cooper mo3. When I turn the wheel all the way and run the throttle at a certain speed, the driveline produces this gnarly CGKGKCKGKCKGKKKCKKG sound and the car violently, like reaaaaly violently vibrates. Ive tried many different o-ring spacer setups in the cup, single oring inboard cup, two orings on inboard cup, single oring in outer cup, two orings in outer cup, and and oring in both outer and inner cups. None of these are working at all. It sounds like someone has dumped some rocks inside of a blender. Anyone know what I should try?
Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Caps Lock

[QUOTE=bst;760797]I HAVE A TAMIYA M-03L MINI COOPER THAT I JUST PULLED APART TO ADD BEARINGS, CLEAN AND REGREASE. MY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH AND HOW HEAVY OF GREASE SHOULD I ADD TO THE MESS/BEVEL GEARS INSIDE THE DIFFERENTIAL SPUR GEAR? THANKS, DON[/QUOTEhttp://www.rctech.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=679417&stc=1&d=1292202 770
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya Mini Cooper - Differential Grease???-securedownload.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Run everything dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.