RUNNING A FRONT GEAR DIFF >

RUNNING A FRONT GEAR DIFF

RUNNING A FRONT GEAR DIFF

Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Some other observations:

We have a lot of trouble at our track picking up crap out of the groove and having it get stuck to the tires. It's most common on the outside of the right front, although if you throw a new set on there, it'll coat all 4 within a few laps and require them to be cleaned with motor spray. Usually the problem mostly goes away after a few runs. With the gear diff up front, I didn't pick up anything at all, not even on a fresh set which is unheard of. The tires came off cleaner than I've ever seen.

I bested my fastest lap by .2, and was able to consistently stay within .3 of my fastest lap. I think this is mostly attributable to just getting more track time, but I'd already put down a decent number of laps on the current layout. I didn't do back-to-back testing with a spool last night because changing CVD's was more work than I was feeling interested in.

The motor was coming off hotter. I may have to adjust my gearing/ESC setup. I'm not quite sure why this is happening.

All in all, a very good option that I'll probably go to by default at a new track. I'm sure there's going to be times when a spool is still the better choice. But the amount of control I felt like I had over the car was something I've really missed.
I'm assuming you were running a gear diff front and rear?

Thanks for the info...I'll be testing this in the next week or two.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
I'm assuming you were running a gear diff front and rear?

Thanks for the info...I'll be testing this in the next week or two.
Nope, ball diff in the rear. I'm still conflicted on how I feel about a gear diff in the rear. Plus, they fling oil all over my pretty cars. At least with the thick oil, it stays inside.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Nope, ball diff in the rear. I'm still conflicted on how I feel about a gear diff in the rear. Plus, they fling oil all over my pretty cars. At least with the thick oil, it stays inside.
Ahh great. I'll put my order for a second gear diff on hold...