R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Robitronic Pro 2000 problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/46086-robitronic-pro-2000-problem.html)

Airwide 07-26-2004 07:20 AM

Robitronic Pro 2000 problem

Hi!
I have a problem with my Robitronic pro 2000 charger. If I try to charge a battery pack with more than 5.5 Amps, the charge current will flex between 2 and 8 Amps.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!

Cole Trickle 07-26-2004 02:39 PM

Nice to see a scandinavian...

I would check for bad wiring / loose connections and if the power supply is poor.

Airwide 07-26-2004 11:32 PM

My 20A power supply is working good. At least with my other chargers.

As for bad wiring, I haven't found any. I will however take another look.

Any other ideas?

THanks,

RC1q2w3e4r 07-27-2004 12:25 AM

Check the batteries

Sounds like you have got a sick battery somewhere.

Did you try other packs?

Did one of the cells turns hot before the others?

Depending on the configuration, you might just have a dead cell somewhere.

Or is your charger the pro with the multi charging profile that oscillates the current to give you more runtime and punch?

That's all I can think of, hope that helps.

Cheers

Rory 07-27-2004 01:53 AM

shouldn't have anything to do with the pack...

check over all your settings, if there is a pulse/linear toggle option somewhere, make sure it's set to linear

EDIT: re-reading your post, it seems like the charger may be faulty... if it works fine under 5.5A i think there must be something wrong with the charger

Cole Trickle 07-27-2004 01:58 AM

The charger is linear. It's the Expert which got different phase-amps, not the Pro.

If it's not wiring or PS, I also tend to say it's the charger it self, which is faulty.

Airwide 07-27-2004 02:04 AM

Thanks for the input!

But I've allready isolated the problem to the charger. I'm thinking there is a broken electronic component, but I don't have the knowledge.

Anyone with experience in electronics who can come up with (and tell me how to inspect) possible faults?

Cole Trickle 07-27-2004 03:18 AM

Hmmm...

The basic thing to start with, is to check if there are some component, which looks burnt...

Or if there's a soldering, which looks bad. You might like to try re-soldering all the soldering, unless it's SMD (=surface mounted components), then it might be too difficult.

If it's not SMD, also check if a component got a broken leg.

You can also try to write to Robintronic for an advice, they have their e-mail on their web-site.

Or if you can find a electronic service company in your area, it might be worth a try.

Airwide 07-27-2004 03:49 PM

I think I will take your advice and email robitronic.

I just thought that maybe someone on this message board would recognize the problem and know the cause of it.

miatayoung 07-27-2004 08:38 PM

I have a robitronic dyno with the charger function.
The charging current fluntuate as you described when I use high charge current, like more than 6 amps.
However, this only happens when I have the charger hooked up to my converted computer power suppy. The charging current would stay constant if I have the charger hooked up to a 12V battery.
Try monitor the power supply output voltage while charging. In my case, it seems that the supply respond to current demand too slowly, causing the fluctuation.

Cole Trickle 07-29-2004 04:15 AM

Airwide, is the problem solved?

One thing came to mind; Many PS have a voltage adjustment knob internally, so it might be worth checking. Maybe the voltage just need an adjustment of 0,5 volt upwards. Just consider warranty...

Airwide 07-29-2004 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Airwide, is the problem solved?

One thing came to mind; Many PS have a voltage adjustment knob internally, so it might be worth checking. Maybe the voltage just need an adjustment of 0,5 volt upwards. Just consider warranty...

No I haven't found the problem. :(

The power supply isn't the problem. It's working good with two other chargers. The voltage output is 13,5V, which should be sufficient even for the Robitronic charger

Cole Trickle 07-29-2004 05:29 AM

The 13,5 volt, is that with a load or is it non-loaded?

A guy at our track runs a Robitronic Pro 2000 at just right under 12 volt. But I dont know at which rate he charges though...

Off-topic: Where do you purchase your RC-stuff? It seems to me that Germany got lower prices, and usual taxes aint a problem, while it's from Germany...