Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Micro GT on Lipos, Will it work

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Novak Micro GT on Lipos, Will it work

Has anyone tried a lipo battery on a Novak Micro Gt. Novak site states you need a lipo cutoff. Just trying to find out and of course Novak is closed today. Will it work but you just have to be careful with the batterys or what?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by mdhyams
Has anyone tried a lipo battery on a Novak Micro Gt. Novak site states you need a lipo cutoff. Just trying to find out and of course Novak is closed today. Will it work but you just have to be careful with the batterys or what?

Here is our product info for our Micro GT controller:

Supe Up Your Micro Car!

4-7 cell forward/brake operation* (1.2V cell) or 2S Li-Po when used with Novak's Smart-Stop Li-Po Module (#5740)
Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Here is our product info for our Micro GT controller:

Supe Up Your Micro Car!
What does the smart stop do. Can you run it without the smart stop?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Company Representative

What does the smart stop do. Can you run it without the smart stop?
Protect your Li-Po battery investment. The Novak Smart-Stop 2-Cell Li-Po Cut-Off Module connects between the receiver and speed control, monitors the battery pack voltage, and prevents the batteries from going below the critical safety voltage level of 6.25 volts.

The Smart-Stop Cut-Off Module uses a combination of throttle interruption and a visual cue from a remotely-mounted, ultra-bright blue LED. If the vehicle is run beyond the warning period, the Smart-Stop Cut-Off Module will bring the motor to neutral while leaving full steering control. Features a One-Touch Set-Up button to learn the ESC’s settings for accurate and complete control, and a 6” replaceable LED harness.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
My question is if you only run the car for 5 min on a 5000mah pack. Can the ESC work without the Smart Stop on a 2s lipo.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My question is if you only run the car for 5 min on a 5000mah pack. Can the ESC work without the Smart Stop on a 2s lipo.
Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

Bad idea. The one time that you forget to fully charge your battery, you're puffed.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Suspended

The Micro GT is designed for mini/micro sized cars, 1/16th scale or smaller, and no micro sized car that I know of accepts 5000mah packs.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chunkyb
The Micro GT is designed for mini/micro sized cars, 1/16th scale or smaller, and no micro sized car that I know of accepts 5000mah packs.
I was thinking a 2s lipo is a 2s lipo. I wouldnt think a 2400 mah would be smaller than a 5000mah. Am I wrong? I was also thinking if a 6 cell stick pack would fit then a lipo would also.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Suspended

I was thinking a 2s lipo is a 2s lipo. I wouldnt think a 2400 mah would be smaller than a 5000mah. Am I wrong? I was also thinking if a 6 cell stick pack would fit then a lipo would also.
Not really. Most smaller scale cars use 1800mah packs or smaller. In addition to the fact that smaller lipo packs don't have the higher C-rating of larger mah packs, the Micro GT was designed to use smaller 2/3A size nimh batteries while the higher capacity packs you are talking about use larger sub-C sized batteries that are more powerful. Even running lipo, my guess is that small a ESC is not designed to handle big power packs like you are talking about. 2400 to 5000mah batteries are designed for 1/10th scale cars, and the Micro GT is not.