Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ezrun combo problem >

Ezrun combo problem

Ezrun combo problem

Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Ezrun combo problem

Hi, I just installed an ezrun 5.5t + 60a esc in my GV tokyo drifter this week. I managed to get it calibrated properly and seems to work good but after about 4 minutes it starts to powerdown, to explain like a pulsing motion and won't drift in this state. I am running Venom 7.2v 3000mah and 4600mah nimh's, all my batteries do the same thing.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is possible that your geared wrong causing the motor and or the ESC to over heat and then shut down.

One thing to also consider is that a drift car has little to no grip. Allowing most motors to run a wide open throttle. This is or can be hard on brushless motors. With the kind of power your running i would think its feels very little load from your drift car. MAX RPM can overheat and damage your motor .

I have seen this happen in offroad if slippers are set too lose. Allowing the motor to over rev all the time
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah I thought it might be overheating. Can you recommend a pinion/spur sizing for my setup?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

do u checkk temperatures or can touch the motor for a sec?

U shud have just got the 9t. the 9t is a beast.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tonecrush
Yeah I thought it might be overheating. Can you recommend a pinion/spur sizing for my setup?
wat is ur spur/pinion nw u use?im using 118/24,my motor n esc 52/43 degree,this on my t2008 n my hb tc 115/22,esc n motor temp arnd 50/52
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when it stops is the speedo hot ??

i run my 5.5 EZrun set in my 2wd offroad buggy , and if my gearing is too heavy is with "thermal" and stop till it has cooled down

try a smaller pinion on it and see what happens
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Rookie

I might try a 19/18t pinion but it doesn't say anywhere what the spur gear is. I think it has a 24t pinion now. It doesn't get so hot I can't touch it except one day it was like 36 degrees and it completely shutdown, the esc was a bit hotter than the motor. Runs fine if I keep rubber tires on.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The fact that it runs fine with rubber tires one confirms my over revving theory from before. With drift tires on you maxing out rpms more often on the motor as your running with almost no load. It may sound backwards but because your running drift tires you may want to gear up the pinion gear to give the motor load and prevent it from maxing out on top RPM like it is now.

Or screw drifting bolt on the rubber tires and join a race club! :_

Ask any motor manufacture about running the motor at full throttle with nothing attached to it.. They will tell you not to.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
The fact that it runs fine with rubber tires one confirms my over revving theory from before. With drift tires on you maxing out rpms more often on the motor as your running with almost no load. It may sound backwards but because your running drift tires you may want to gear up the pinion gear to give the motor load and prevent it from maxing out on top RPM like it is now.

Or screw drifting bolt on the rubber tires and join a race club! :_

Ask any motor manufacture about running the motor at full throttle with nothing attached to it.. They will tell you not to.