Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA04-TRF

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA04-TRF

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of this kit. I am considering getting it for some Drift as it has a very well balanced chassis and I might also use it to race now and then. It certainly looks the goods with the TRF shocks and ssg chassis but how does it perform? I will most likely be powering it with a GT7 and 12x2 Orion V2. The only complaints I have about the car from what I have seen is that it only accepts stick packs and doesn't include titanium turnbuckles. Let me know what you all think.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default xray

why dont you just get xray t1 no worries after that
Old 07-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: xray

Originally posted by prodrive
why dont you just get xray t1 no worries after that
Old 07-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

IF you wanted to go drift racing and still stay in the Tamiya family, I wouldn't go with the TRF, it's overkill. That's like trying to kill a fly with a bazooka. A TB-02 car would be fine, especially since it comes with full bearings. The TL-01 would be a good choice too, but it only takes stick packs.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the response guys. I'm not interested in the Xray as parts are impossible for me to get where I live and TA04 parts are very easy to come by. RC Driver Gary you say the TA04-TRF is a bit too good for Drift, thats a fair call as I think this too. What is it like as an allround tourer? The thing I really like about it is the value for money and the parts availability and I need another car so I thought the TA04 would be a good choice.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by HYPA
Thanks for the response guys. I'm not interested in the Xray as parts are impossible for me to get where I live and TA04 parts are very easy to come by. RC Driver Gary you say the TA04-TRF is a bit too good for Drift, thats a fair call as I think this too. What is it like as an allround tourer? The thing I really like about it is the value for money and the parts availability and I need another car so I thought the TA04 would be a good choice.
TA04R if you are not looking to hop it up totally... not to mention you get rims, tyres and a body for a good price.

TRF if you plan to race it too, like I do, I went the R way and hopped it all up though.. I use mine for drift and racing.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:28 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

TB-02 is my favourite for drifting - there's something about shaftdrive that gives better throttle control.

TB-02 can also take side-by-side or stick packs at any time without any mucking about; its a bit harder putting side-by-sides onto TA04 & EvoIII don't take sticks so nicely.

I run all the cars - TA04 with plate & R tub chassis, EvoIII, TA03, TL01, TB01 etc etc... and TB-02 is still the best for D-style.

Also don't recommend using plate chassis for going sideways. Used to run an EvoIII for D but its chassis got pretty bashed/delaminated from humping kerbs sideways.

TB-02's plastic tub survives side impacts a lot better and protects your RC gear better too.

(I know of guys who do use their 04TRF for D-duty though, not saying it can't be done.)
Old 07-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. Just wondering, for the bling bling factor will these fit:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXETM4&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGH19&P=0

Cheers
Old 07-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Tech Champion

I think the 04 is still a good platform. If you compare the 04 to the X-Ray T1R is very similar, so that should tell you something. I would go with either a TB-02 or an 04R, much like others have said because they are tub and not plate cars. Plus, with the 04 you can put Gear diffs in and even JB Weld them for a set of front and rear spools (no gear diff option for the TB)
Old 07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GARY, you could use the E4P spools in front and rear on the TB. Nice pic
Old 07-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

get the tb02, comes with bearings and nice looking tamiya body for under $150. you get the same evo3 drivetrain and suspension but without the gear stripping problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default help!!

i need help guys..
i wanna run my ta04-r using my johnson 540 silver can..
can anyone help me with the proper gearings..
i want top speed and acceleration..

and for the type-r motor also what is the top speed and acceleration..

tnx in advance.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

I run a TA04-TRF and its still competitive out here. All i did was mod it so it takes side by side packs, throw in some ceramics, and a front spool and boy its still got some rip!

Great car for the price. Best of all, NO UNNECESSARY HOPUPS! don't have to spend $20 here and $30 there to get HOPUPS! its good to race out of the box!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nikkiesteban
i need help guys..
i wanna run my ta04-r using my johnson 540 silver can..
can anyone help me with the proper gearings..
i want top speed and acceleration..

and for the type-r motor also what is the top speed and acceleration..

tnx in advance.
For Mabuchi motor, 112t Spur & 40t to 45t pinion. I'm using 45t pinion for my 414m2.