R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default brushless motors

hi i am about to purchase my first brushless motor for my onroad 1/10 cars
i have been looking at a ezirun off ebay that is 5.5 turns is this ok for a first brushless motor ?

i also have some 7.4 volt lipo batteries and was hoping i could use this with my stock electronics but after reading a few post not all esc can use lipo batteries is this correct ?

stevehickey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Brushless motors require specific brushless ESCs. Make sure your ESC is built to handle a brushless motor, or just get the EZrun combo motor/ESC. The 5.5T can be pretty fast, specially if powered by a 2S pack. My brother has that setup, and he's had his share of "high speed crashes".

The use of LiPO packs require a low voltage cutoff ( if you want to keep your packs healthy). If your current ESC doesn't have that feature - an external LVC unit can be placed in line to protect the battery pack. I set my LVC @ no less than 3.3V per cell (for my 2S packs my ESC shuts down @ 6.6V).
likes the oldskool RC action...
macavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It fully depends on what you want to do. You are correct not all Speedos can run brushless motors, and not all speedos can run a 5.5 thats a pretty big motor. Like I said it depends on what you want to do.

Personally I would get a used GTB. It can run almost any motor you want and its cheap.. If your wanting to race. then I would get like a tekin or something along those lines. I would do some more research before you buy a random Ebay motor.
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

hi thanks for your replies i think my post was a bit confusing

i am going to buy a combo as mentioned the part i meant about lipo batteries and speedo was for use with my stock setup

as i have a standard motor brushed and standard speed control and was going to use lipo batteries with that also but i not sure my speed control can handle it

also as mentioed i know they dont hae a cut off but now thanks for info i can purchase an item to have cutoff is it just the cut off thats the problem using lipo with brushed speed control or is it also the power thats going thrpough the speed control as well

stevehickey6 is offline   Reply With Quote